Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need new radiator for 1994 V6 4wd. Any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need new radiator for 1994 V6 4wd. Any recommendations?

So I have a 1994 V6 extended cab manual 4wd DX. I had the original radiator replaced a bit of a year ago. The new radiator is leaking out the top edges and is toast. It seems that replacement radiators are designed to last no longer than two years. Just long enough to be out of warranty, but often enough to need to keep coming back... Never mind that OME radiators can last over a decade, but aftermarket are disposable.

What would you guys suggest? I think that if I were planning of definitely keeping my truck, I might think about putting an all metal radiator in. But, I recently bought a 2002 Toyota 4Runner that has become my DD. I might keep the truck, but I am thinking I might sell it.

Any favorite radiator companies? Something that will last at least a few years?
Attached Thumbnails Need new radiator for 1994 V6 4wd.  Any recommendations?-img_2098.jpg  
Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Csf all metal 3 row
Old 07-07-2015, 10:36 AM

Summit racing carry's a few metal radiators on their web site. They run about $400+.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 AM

Second the CSF recommendation.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through about 4 radiators from AutoZone that lasted about a year each and started leaking from the neck. I put an oreiley radiator on 7 years ago, and no problems. The neck on this one is plastic. They both have lifetime warranties so I have a new AutoZone radiator as a backup.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:36 AM

i forgot where i got my radiator, but it was a cheap parts store one. its lasted 6 years so far with no leaks. my truck gets beat on pretty hard in the woods too.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have all new radiators in my Toyota Vehicles all of them are the CSF all metal.

I bought them all before Radiator Barn went away.

Not saying the Aluminum ones are bad But just a Royal Pain to fix in the field.

Copper brass A propane Torch some liquid flux and solder I have fixed many in the field.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have the original radiator,take it to a radiator shop and make sure the tanks aren't cracked. (Somewhat common on the old original ones) if the parts are in good shape (no cracked tanks) have a good radiator shop re-core it with a high quality core. I prefer Pacific cores out of Canada. I'm starting to sound like a broken record. Maybe I need to do some sort of write up and schedule someone to take pictures and make it a sticky or something. Radiators now days suck. They have for at least a decade or more now.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Well Turd, that's bound to happen when it's summer time and you work in a radiator shop.
I can't imagine how many people have limped their junk into your shop for the past two weeks lol
Old 07-10-2015, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Odin
^ Well Turd, that's bound to happen when it's summer time and you work in a radiator shop.
I can't imagine how many people have limped their junk into your shop for the past two weeks lol
I've been working overtime for the last two months. Typically 6 am to 5:30 pm,and sometimes 6am to 7:30 pm. We've been in a heat wave the last 3 weeks or so and working in a tin building in coveralls,rubber boots,rubber gloves playing with fire all day really sucks. I'm usually slammed to some extent all year round,but yes summer is ridiculously insane.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately I know about the heat wave. OT for two months, sounds like alot of people start having trouble with 70-80 degree weather. Those must be the really neglected systems.

You can always tell it's summer by the amount of cars in parking lots and on the side of the road with their hoods up. Seems it's normal for people to not even think about their cooling system until it runs extremely hot or it springs a leak.

Not the thing to do with these engines.

Last edited by Odin; 07-10-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Odin
Unfortunately I know about the heat wave. OT for two months, sounds like alot of people start having trouble with 70-80 degree weather. Those must be the really neglected systems.

You can always tell it's summer by the amount of cars in parking lots and on the side of the road with their hoods up. Seems it's normal for people to not even think about their cooling system until it runs extremely hot or it springs a leak.

Not the thing to do with these engines.
Most of the radiators that come in are 20+ years old (strike one-age) and haven't had antifreeze in them (decades old rust water) in forever (strike two) and a lot of them are agricultural/industrial/semi trucks that have mud,hay,animal waste; (literally) packed into the core like adobe bricks rotting the outside of the core (strike three). Then the customer gets all pissy because I can't just "fix it". They run the things into the ground and expect me to wave the magic torch and solder wand and fix it for dirt cheap when it needs to be re-cored or replaced.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-10-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:40 PM

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the recommendations here guys, i have also been looking for a new radiator as my 88 tanks are starting to show some wear.. Found this one on amazon. Thoughts?

Amazon.com: CSF Metal Tank Radiator: Automotive Amazon.com: CSF Metal Tank Radiator: Automotive
Old 07-17-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CSF all metal 3 row, that's what you want.

Had mine since my swap three years ago, no problems.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by donomite49
CSF all metal 3 row, that's what you want.

Had mine since my swap three years ago, no problems.
A lot of people on here swear by the csf copper/brass radiators. Seeing what I see out of the vehicle and in my test tank they are really piles. As far as what's out there right now they probably are close to the best you can get in a brand new aftermarket radiator,that's not saying much though.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:36 AM

Red face

If you were not on the other side of the country I would send my Good Tanks out to have re cored.

We have one person that just does the shipping damage claim repairs Full Time

I have yet to find a radiator repair shop that will touch these little radiators

Yet they will take the ones out of the Freight Shakers in a minute.

Quality on most things has gone down hill !!
Old 07-18-2015, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If you were not on the other side of the country I would send my Good Tanks out to have re cored.

We have one person that just does the shipping damage claim repairs Full Time

I have yet to find a radiator repair shop that will touch these little radiators

Yet they will take the ones out of the Freight Shakers in a minute.

Quality on most things has gone down hill !!
It really has gone downhill. I keep throwing around the idea of building a whole radiator for my truck. V6 size core (taller) and nice heavy gauge brass tanks. The old oem Toyota tanks are kinda common to crack. All I have to do is draw up the tank's shape and size with all the specs I want and fax it to our core manufacturer. They send me a nice partially fabbed heavy gauge brass tank,about 3-4 times the thickness of an oem or new radiator tank. I'd just have to find a local place to bend up the side brackets. Trying to make these to sell (to enthusiasts like yotatechers) would probably be too expensive. I can't imagine how much my boss would mark everything up. Our price on the core would probably be around $200,about $50-60 per tank,a couple necks-$10 or so,then whatever it costs for the sidebrackets. So probably take those prices and double them. Add on an aluminum fan shroud and 16" spal fan with the relay for it and you'd probably be looking at somewhere around $600 for the average Joe to buy one from the shop I work at. Maybe when we slow down during the winter I can convince my boss to let me make these and try to get the price lower. Then yotatechers can finally have a good radiator option.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:55 AM

Red face

$600.00 dollar radiator in a $1500.00 truck might be a little rough for most on here.

I do like your idea .

Bending the brackets is easy.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
$600.00 dollar radiator in a $1500.00 truck might be a little rough for most on here.

I do like your idea .

Bending the brackets is easy.
I'm sure it is easy when you have something better than a beat up,bent,crooked harbor freight sheet metal break lol.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:56 AM

True that's a steep price,but most people on here keep their trucks for a long time. Plus I'm sure they want something reliable that isn't likely to leave them stranded in the middle of nowhere. And who likes having to take their radiator in and out every 6 months to a couple of years to replace the damn thing? Or buy a new one every couple years? If maintained even halfway decent I think one of these radiators I want to build could easily last 15-20 years,and in better conditions possibly 30+. And if something did need to be worked on on the radiator,they would be much more likely to be rebuildable due to sturdy parts.

Quick Reply: Need new radiator for 1994 V6 4wd. Any recommendations?