86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with transmission removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with transmission removal

Hi, I am new here, this is my first post. I recently bought a 95 T100 4wd with the 5vz-fe engine. I am not sure which transmission I have but it is a manual 5 speed. I need to replace the clutch and am trying to take the transmission out but it looks like there is not enough room between the floorboard and the bell housing to pull it back far enough to clear the clutch and pressure plate. I have poked around on this site some and haven't seen else mention that problem. I did see one person mention rotating the transmission clockwise, which I have not tried, but someone else on the same thread seemed to think it unnecessary. As you might have guessed, this is the first time I've tried doing something like this, and I could use some help or suggestion from someone who has more experience than I do. I do have a Chilton's manual, but it is not much help in this situation. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-05-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
This is something you don`t want to try your first time alone or ever if possible.

I am guessing all the bolts and electrical items have been disconnected

Is the transfer case still attached ??

Most often the come out together

It will twist to the side the front drive shaft is on

I have found the best way is two floorjacks one under the engine to raise it up as high as possible without crushing and breaking things.

The other to lower and be able to pull the it towards the rear of the truck

Some leave the sway bar in I pull it out

It does not hurt to have a ratchet strap around the trans and case support running front to back so the strap can be moved as things move back

I have done a few alone not something I would wish on anyone
Old 07-05-2016, 03:52 AM

Thanks Wyoming9. The transfer case is still attached. All of the electrical connection have been disconnected. I will try jacking up the front of the motor as soon as I can get back to it. I wish I had had the advice about not trying this for the first time yourself before I started, I'm afraid I'm a little to late for that now.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hope you have a decent tranny jack
Ive done them several times and once the trans rolled off the cheap saddle / scisssor tranny jack thing I had and I managed to have it miss my leg.

Went out and shelled $$$ for a Made in USA Lincoln jack (better than a ruined knee!)

I usually remove the front drive shaft from the transfer case

I pull the sway bar out (tho now - with a modded suspension - I leave the sway bar off)

You also want either an engine hoist or a jack under the motor to keep it from tipping forward and pushing the fan into the rad (I vaguely recall removing the fan shroud AND the fan to prevent issues)

Also - on the 22RE there is one bolt that goes "backwards" - people often forget that one.

I vaguely recall disconnecting the CAT from the header to allow the engine to move?
Old 07-09-2016, 11:18 AM

Update

In case anyone is curious
I took wyoming9's advise and jacked up the front of the motor. It worked great, and after looking things over after I got the transmission out I thing I could have probably done it without jacking the motor, but I didn't understand what was going on well enough to know that. Anyway, thanks wyoming9, it worked great. I did not take Ewong's advice and just use a floor jack with a homemade gizmo on it instead of a transmission jack. It was touch and go for a while but I did get it out. I had someone helping me or I'm not sure the transmission would have stayed on the jack. I had a heck of a time getting the rear main seal retainer off until I realized the oil pan was bolted to it, as you may have already surmised, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. That transmission is weighted heavily toward the back, at least with the transfer case still on it, and so it looked like it was stuck up next to the floor board. In retrospect I think if I had just dropped the jack all the way down it would have cleared, but then I would have been alone and it probably would have fallen on me. I suspect reinstalling the transmission is going to be difficult. I will update when I get it in. Oh, I also have several broke bolts that will need to be drilled out and re tapped so it my be a while.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:20 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
congrats on getting it out.

with a dedicated trans jack, you can lock the angle of the plate down hard to match whatever angle the trans is at when you pull it, which makes it go in a whole lot easier, because it's angled correctly.

of course you'd have the trans strapped to the jack plate all of the time.

i had to learn that the hard way, when i pulled the trans/dual case/tg bracket out of my 4runner all by myself... at some level trying to skimp on a trans jack just isn't worth it, lol
Old 07-09-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by drWhite1965
... I would have been alone and it probably would have fallen on me. I suspect reinstalling the transmission is going to be difficult. ...
Originally Posted by osv
... with a dedicated trans jack, you can lock the angle of the plate down hard to match whatever angle the trans is at when you pull it, ... at some level trying to skimp on a trans jack just isn't worth it, lol
I've found that re-installing a transmission is quite a bit more difficult than taking one out. So, hey, listen to osv. As little as $99: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...q=transmission Given that the transmission + transfer case is so long, I'd spring for the $160 model.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the 99 dollar special, and it works just fine for me.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:32 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by drWhite1965
but then I would have been alone and it probably would have fallen on me.
lol... that reminded me of when i started learning how to work on cars in the late '60's-early '70's, at about 16 years old... i pulled a couple of transmissions without using a jack just lay a piece of carpet over the knees and belly it out and back in... one slip tho, and i woulda been singing a falsetto tune

no way that i could have ever done that with the rig i have now, and i don't think it could even be done with a stock 5-speed/transfer case setup.