Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

need help on poor running 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help on poor running 3vze

ok so i have a 94 4runner with a 3vze with 220,000 miles. its not running right. stumbely and ?backfires? when the ac is on or its under a load if u well. very slow. and its getting like 10 mpg

bought it with a lightly blown head gasket. so i did a head gasket on it .. took it down, had the heads surfaced(barley needed it) and had the valve guides done, and of coarse a valve grind. put a new head gasket in, new bypass pipe in due to mine being full of holes. i did not put in a knock sensor in but it look to be in good shape. put new timing belt and belt tensioner. put the cams in and and assembled the rest. 99% sure its not a tooth off or anything like that. put the plenum on and re did all the vacuum lines with new hose (right size nice tight fit) 90% sure the vacuum lines are routed right. new nkg platinum plugs gaped at .037 if i remember correctly and import direct cap and rotter and wires. im 100% sure i have the the firing order right. set the timing 10 degrees before tdc with the wire jump as direct in my book.

i tested the fuel pressure and it is all with in spec in every way they have me tested it

also had put a new fuel filter on it

now when i put the injectors on i got a "gasket kit" for them and replaced all the rubber o rings but..... i had noticed the tips of the little green plastic caps were broken but still mostly together... so i put them in as best as possible

the only other thing i have noticed that i was thinking it may be was the valves make a lot of noise... maybe the need to be adjusted or something? or is that just how these motors are?

any ideas? or suggestions to get this thing working better?

thanks for your time
-dan
Old 11-09-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
There is an "idle-up" for the AC, where a vacuum switching valve allows additional outside air into the plenum when the AC is on, to raise the idle. If that doesn't work the engine should stumble w/AC on. After checking the VSV, check to be sure you're getting vacuum from the plenum. At that age, the plenum can fill up with "gunk" blocking those ports (and causing lots of other problems).

I'm missing some "pintle caps" on my injectors w/o issue (I wish I had replaced them, but that was then and this is now).

The valves should make very little noise. When I had my heads done the machine shop adjusted them. (Much, much easier than doing it yourself.) Perhaps yours did not.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I would double check and make sure the cam timing is correct. I would also advance the base ignition timing to 12 or maybe 15 if its not pinging. I would also try some premium fuel for a while. Make as sure as possible about your vacum line routing. I ordered a vacum routing sticker from Toyota using my vin, so you might want to try that....
Old 11-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
First, study the EPIC 3VZE thread linked in my sig line if you haven't already.

Second, pull stored CEL codes.

Then get back to us. Otherwise, we're guessing at multiple possible causes.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i pull the stored cel codes? the wire jump and count the flashes? because i did that and i didnt have any. and as far as the ac idle up. i have a basic understanding of that. how do you check that valve? just by putting a gauge to it?
what specs should it be at on and off?

i filled up with premium yesterday and haven't really noticed a difference.

im getting 12 mpg now that i found that last little vacuum leak.(loose hose)

as for the roughing i am going off the oem sticker on the hood.

thanks for all the suggestions i well try that timing and check the valve thing soon as i figure out how.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Also, I'm betting you're valve noise is actually the fuel pressure regulator....