86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with my 91

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with my 91

I have searched and searched on this site and everyone has different opinions on what to do first second third, as far as upgrading their rigs. I am a newbie, and really wanna do my truck right. What I am looking for is a little feedback on my truck specifically, or a couple guys to almost mentor me through the processes, on what to do and where to find things. Above is my truck, you can see below there isnt much done to it. Again I have looked and tend to just get more confused on what to do. Someone with wisdom and experience, help me out. Thanks guys.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:13 AM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my opinon, your truck is yours, only you should decide what to do to it. If you want to know what the best things would be to improve off road or on road performance or whatever let us know what you want out of it. Like what kind of wheeling you plan on doing, if youre gonna wheel it at all.

What areas do you want to work on? Suspension, engine performance, looks?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah, there are so many different things you can do.

can i ask if you have re-geared yet?

a couple things you can do are
-seafoam the brake booster
-2nd gen ISR mod (pm me if you want help on it)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:24 AM

I do want to get into wheeling and from what I understand i should probably start with armor. I am just asking because I know there are guys who have done this for years, and they can share some wisdom. Ofc ourse I will make this truck my own Iam not out to copy anyone, but I have limited funds therefore doing things right and in the right order is what I wanna do. Right now I am rubbing 32's on the road, so this obviously wont work on the trail.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:09 PM
WFO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didnt mean you were gonna copy someone.

So where are you located? Reason I ask is what kind of trails will you be doing? Rocks, mud, desert, snow, thick woods.

Armor is definatly a good start.
Re-gearing and adding either a limited slip diff or a locker.
With your truck and all of the above you will have one hell of a start. Then wheel it and keep looking into diferent mods and youll find what you want to do and youll see whats neccisary for your app.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM

eh, i wouldnt put armor on for a couple reasons. the first is, it makes your truck heavy, and unless you have a complete sas and can flex you probably wont be going on those trails that bang you up. 2nd is the 2nd gen runners have a metal tank shell thats not gonna crack a fender or anything.

i would put armor on last.

just my opinion
Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by infiltrator
eh, i wouldnt put armor on for a couple reasons. the first is, it makes your truck heavy, and unless you have a complete sas and can flex you probably wont be going on those trails that bang you up. 2nd is the 2nd gen runners have a metal tank shell thats not gonna crack a fender or anything.

i would put armor on last.

just my opinion
i dont have an sas and my stock skids have taken a true pounding. im ready for more armor. sliders, skids, bumpers will help a ton. i'd do armor first. then lockers, then tire/gear/lift. in that order. whats the fun in wheeling a truck when you break stuff all the time?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Armer - sliders and a good rear bumper for recovery points. Possibly get some upgraded skids too, stockers are preeeeetty weak.

Change tires or do a small lift to overcome the rubbing.

re-gear + locker(s)
Old 02-15-2008, 02:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

First thing I would do if I were you is either sell those tires/rims and get ones that won't rub or add a bodylift so you dont eat the fenders.

Next, armor
Then, wheel the crap out of it

Gears/lockers
Then, wheel the crap out of it

Then, wheel it some more

THEN, and ONLY then, when you've wheeled enough to know how you're gonna use the truck and what you need to do that, look at lift. That way, if you decide a Solid Axle Swap or Longtravel meet your needs best, you haven't wasted money on parts that will be cut off ...

There's a couple "sticky" threads at the top of the Newbie Tech and Offoad Tech sections that will help A LOT.