Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

NEED HELP! - Low oil pressure & leaky oil breather

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP! - Low oil pressure & leaky oil breather

Hello, im new to this site but i am decently knowledgable on toyota trucks. Here's my problem:

I have an 86 that came with a 22rte. I pulled the motor and completely rebuilt the whole thing. New crank & conrod bearings, new conrods, cp 9.0:1 oversized pistons, lc turbo head, arp head studs, metal head gasket, dual valve springs, lc turbo cam, lc high boost turbo kit, SDS stand alone fuel management, brand new oil pump & water pump, underdrive pulley set, new timing chain kit with metal guides, etc.

Here's my problem. With about 250 miles on the engine and my boost at about 7 psi, my truck overheated. The squeeze-type clamp on one of the coolant lines on my oil cooler wasn't doing its job and the coolant leaked out. But I seen the truck overheat in time to just pull over and let it cool off. I put the hose back on and refilled the coolant and everything was back to normal. A couple days later the same thing happened! I had about 400 miles on the engine, but this time i was kind of on the throttle and I was tinkering with my boost controller. I never turned up the boost until this moment either. A quick turn of my knob and the boost jumped all the way up to about 15 psi. But this lasted only for a wide open 1st and 2nd gear, and i got nervous and turned the knob back down. After the truck overheated this time, I noticed that my stock oil pressure gauge stayed low! And it doesnt even move now. And on top of that there's a lot of oil coming out of the oil breather near the front of the valve cover. Even at normal driving oil is coming out of the breather! I even noticed some smoke coming out of the breather. Another symptom that i noticed is that now the truck needs constant coolant refilling. The truck still runs fine with the problems i just described, but i cant figure out why there's so much oil coming out of the breather, why my truck is eating coolant, and why it sometimes has a hard time starting up.

My instict tells me that quick burst of high boost while my truck was running hot may have caused me to ruin one or some of my piston rings. But before i decide to tare apart my engine i figured i'd get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. PLEASE HELP ME! I spent a lot of time and money on this project and i want to pinpoint this problem... Ant help is much appreciated. thankyou!
Old 08-11-2008, 09:38 PM

Also, the head gasket is fine, there are no visible oil or coolant leaks anywhere. and the oil is not mixing with the coolant. And here's a picture just for the heck of it.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 PM

That things rude i bet.

My guess would be you ate your rings, but doesn't explain why your using water.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check out 22rtec truck forum ask jeff or darin
Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 PM

where is this forum?

can anyone else give another opinion???