Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

NEED HELP FAST (Rear DE-FOGGER)

Old 12-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NEED HELP FAST (Rear DE-FOGGER)

OK, I took the pannel off of the back tailgate to see if I could find the wires that connect to to rear defogger but have no luck in seeing them. Any idears of where to look, or do I hahe to take more apart somewhere

I have a 1995 4runner.

Having no rear defrosters is a real drag.

Anybody please.....................
Old 12-31-2007, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of tailgate, like a truck or is it different? Mine's a first gen, and the wires connect at the bottom of the window on the driver's side. I'll see if I can dig out the heinous manual and find a diagram...
Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by stupid_mud_gremlins
What type of tailgate, like a truck or is it different? Mine's a first gen, and the wires connect at the bottom of the window on the driver's side. I'll see if I can dig out the heinous manual and find a diagram...
It is a 2nd gen. As I said, I took the pannel off of the tailgate and removed the plastic stuff they had glued on there, stuck my hand up in there, and I think the wires are broken off. My problem is, how the heck do you get in there to fix them. I can just about get my hand in ther to feel around.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:54 AM

Like I said, no expert on the 2nd gens, but I had to roll my window down a bit to get at the connections. My wires were broken as well, and I couldn't get them to solder onto the connectors. what I ended up doing was taking a couple spade terminals out of an assorted kit I had, and crimping them onto the end of the wires. Of course then the spades on the window connector were to big so I had to cut them a bit narrower with a pair of side cutters, but it worked...until the wires broke again.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by stupid_mud_gremlins
Like I said, no expert on the 2nd gens, but I had to roll my window down a bit to get at the connections. My wires were broken as well, and I couldn't get them to solder onto the connectors. what I ended up doing was taking a couple spade terminals out of an assorted kit I had, and crimping them onto the end of the wires. Of course then the spades on the window connector were to big so I had to cut them a bit narrower with a pair of side cutters, but it worked...until the wires broke again.
This all sounds good, but I can't get the window to move with the tailgate open. Any idears?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

The easiest way for me was to have the gate up, and then drop the window down about half way or so, just enough so that the bottom of the glass was in view through the viewing hole. You'll be sitting in the back with the gate closed. It'll give you easy viewing of the connectors and wires. Pull off the connectors, raise the glass and you'll be able to test if you have continuity at the ends of the wires. If you do, then it could be a grid problem, if you don't, you'll have to keep testing.
I hope some of this helps you out.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 PM

Only thing I'd do different is take a spare battery back with me and a couple wires on the posts. That way I could put power direct to the motor from where I am....just saves a few steps. Yeah I know...I'm a redneck....
Old 12-31-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
On my first gen with the tailgate down I tripped the latch on the drivers side of the gate to make it think it was closed then I could operate the window with the key in the tailgate.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 PM

dont mean to post jack but only about 1/2 of my strips actually work... what have you guys done as a replacement for this? is there a commonly used kit that i could install over the old one to give me something that actually works?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Zachb55, if you're having trouble with your grid lines cause they are cut or chipping, I went to Napa yesterday and was able to pick up some grid repair paint. Its a bit spendy at $10 for a little itty bitty bottle, but if it works, its well worth it. Just visually locate the gaps, or use a voltmeter and then paint over them to complete the circuit.