86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with dropping the gas tank.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with dropping the gas tank.

I have a 1988 22re toyota 4x4, fuel injected.

I'm trying to drop the gas tank, and I'm having a very difficult time. The truck has been sitting awhile thus I need to replace the fuel pump. Now, the only thing standing between me and the fuel pump/fuel sending assembly (I broke a hose on it so I have to replace that too)

are two big inlet hoses. The filler hoses or whatever. the ones that the gas goes through to get to the tank. Anyway theres two of them, one big one, one smaller one. the smaller seems like it's practically welded to the nozzle. Anyway. I am getting a little tired of pulling and pulling and pulling on it and was wondering. how easy is it to replace those hoses, should I somehow, in a fit of frustration, take a hacksaw to them? And if theres any tricks to removing a stuck hose I'm all ears. I've WD40'd it twice. I can't get a flathead screw driver in there to pry it. And I've already slashed it with a box cutter a couple times. No budging still anyway. Any help would be awesome.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:10 AM

you think taking it down is bad, wait till you put it back up!

i can think of 2 things to help you. first, the way i did it, open up your gas filler door. there are 4 screws holding that pipe on. if i remember right, after you unattach it, you should be able to drop it with the entire assembly still attached to the tank.

the next way is probably the RIGHT way to do it, that is, if you have a 4runner and not a pickup (not sure which you have). i was told that there is a little access panel somewhere under the rear seats/carpet. i didn't know about it until after i finished my job. supposedly going through that access panel makes all the difference in the world.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM

The hoses are an easy fix; cut them then replace before you put the tank back. They're low pressure rubber hose, just use fuel hose and you'll be fine. If you have a 4runner you have an access panel under the back seat. Makes things a TON easier. If you have a truck, reaching up through the wheel well is the PITA-but-but-less-PITA-than-pulling-the-bed option (especially if you're on your own). If you pull the spare, you can sit up underneath the truck and look at the top of the tank.

I have dropped the tank on a couple pickups and my 4runner; a ratchet strap actually makes it totally manageable even by yourself.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Umm, there's an access panel under the rear seat that allows you to change the fuel pump with dropping the tank (at least on the 4R). There's also a drain on the tank which makes life a lot easier.

I've dropped mine a couple of times. You just need a floor jack and some wood blocks.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 AM

Haha I didn't even think about the weight of the gas tank...Jesus lol that could have been bad. So a regular floor jack will work then? am I going to have to jack up the vehicle? It's a 4x4 pick up truck so it's pretty high already. Nothing more then how it came but will I need another jack to lift the vehicle?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Is your tank or hard lines at all rusted? If so think about removing the tank all together and putting in a fuel cell. Just a thought. But yeah the access door is the way to go, but still not as easy as some make it sound. Some little girly hands (that are smaller and nimble) help as does a mechanics mirror.... (like a dental mirror only bigger)
Old 10-23-2009, 11:57 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was putting in a new tank on my Runner, I had it parked on ramps, which made it easier to work underneath. Did you get those filler hoses off? You might want to try soaking them again with PB Blaster or something, the try using a pipe wrench to twist each one enough so it will come off. I think it would be easier with the tank unbolted so you can lower it down when trying to disconnect the filler hoses.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by pwd
When I was putting in a new tank on my Runner, I had it parked on ramps, which made it easier to work underneath. Did you get those filler hoses off? You might want to try soaking them again with PB Blaster or something, the try using a pipe wrench to twist each one enough so it will come off. I think it would be easier with the tank unbolted so you can lower it down when trying to disconnect the filler hoses.
yeah, i snapped my line right off cuz the tube nut was rusted solid to the line. it sucked. it was even harder to find a replacement.

instead of PB blaster, you could always use a torch too. hahaha lol

(just in case you missed my sarcasm, don't use a torch)
Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With all that rusty stuff your better off removing the bed from the truck to get to the fuel pump.

Last edited by toyminator2000; 10-23-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM

x 2 on removing bed!!!

I have an 88 and did the pump and lines while the bed was off. If you try to drop it you need lots of patience. The bed is eight bolts and all you need is a friend to lift it off. You run the risk of snapping alot of mounts if you drop the tank.

One more thing. It is safest to work with a full tank of gas rahter than an empty. Fumes are the most combustable part. If you have the space filled with fuel you have less fumes. Thats how I did mine anyway. I would also make sure you order the little screws and the rubber gasket for the fuel pump assembly mounting to the tank.

Go for removing the bed. Its easier in the long run.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:24 PM

Hmm...I think I'm going to go with taking the bed off, with all the problems I've had simply trying to remove these filler hoses....but I have a question. With the bed off, will I be able to replace those two hoses that put the fuel into the tank? I've slashed one up pretty good trying to get it off of the tank.

Btw. I've been informed by my local toyota dealership that the piece with the three metal hoses going into it is not called a sending unit apparently. It's called a "Bracket"??? lol I went to pick up the part today and it was the WAAY wrong part. Anyway. I am going to remove the bed, thanks for the help but..please..any advice before removing the bed? and like I asked earlier, will I be able to replace the two hoses?