Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need help. Bogging/Sputtering out.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help. Bogging/Sputtering out.

Lets see.... where do I start.
My uncle and I rebuilt the 22re engine that was in his truck because I needed a vehicle since mine is broke down, and that's what it needed.
So after the rebuild, we took it to a mechanic to have him adjust the valves (figured he could get it closer then we could), and check everything over. So he did, and when we got it back it had a knock. We had a rod bearing out of whack. Think we got a wrong one from the auto place. So replaced, ended up having to do valves again, and all seemed pretty decent. Except for a rod knocking sound for bout 1-2 sec when first starting up. Then another problem has started that we can not figure out.
I was on the second full tank after the rebuild, and it started to bog/sputter out. I dont know how to describe, but like a weed eater problem that happens alot. You hit the throttle on one, and it bogs out, let off and it goes back to idle fine. Well that is what the truck was doing. So I pulled over, and after a min it died. So I waited a min and it started up and drove for just a few then started again. And it keeps doing that. It seems that if I stop it, and then start and go. It runs for a min, and the longer it sits, the longer it will drive.
So I replaced the fuel filter, and it did it again after bout 5 miles or so. Then last night I emptied the 2/3 tank of gas, and swished some around, and emptied it (emptied through the drain plug on bottom every time.). And replaced the fuel filter, put some good gas in there, and some fuel injector cleaner. Drove around town then out on the highway for 5 min, turned back around, and not 30 sec after turning around, id start sputtering out.
I only have a couple ideas as to what it could be, catalytic converter (but there is exhaust pressure at tail pipe), and we were thinking fuel pump (but would figure it would just go out, or would not pick up fuel when tank is low. Not start bogging out.), and lastly, the pickup tube in the fuel tank has dirt on it.

Does anyone have ANY idea as to what it could be?
I have been without a vehicle for months bc my 4runner broke down, and now this truck doesn't want to just run good....

side note-
Also, I dont know that we can get the bed off the truck because the bolts seem to be rusted through and can't seem to get anything on them and turn em.

Last edited by Gokumono; 08-02-2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: side note
Old 08-03-2009, 08:04 AM

Guess no one has any ideas?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you test test the TPS, it might be out of adjustment.

Is the timing right??
Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Did you test test the TPS, it might be out of adjustment.

Is the timing right??
TPS = Throttle Position Sensor? If so, no... How do you do that?

And timing should be right, at least internal. I have a feeling the distributer might be off a hair if any, but not enough i dont think to kill it. Ran fine for at least a few days.
I have been reading up on some stuff, and making me question the internal timing. My uncle did most of work on that, so I will have to ask and talk to him.