Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

need HELP!!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need HELP!!

alright so i donno if i'm posting this in the right section or not, if not can a mod move it to where it belongs!! thx

anyways yesterday i changed my battery terminals on my truck, now b4 i did this the truck fired up no problem sometimes i needed a boost but figured i needed a new battery! after changing the terminals, all i get is a "click" i donno if i've messed up the wires to each terminal or not? i have headlights and radio etc just won't fire up!, tried a different battery and tried boosting it as well!! still nothing!! is there a diagram i can look up to show me which wires goto which terminals??? any help would be greatly appreciated!! i have about a 99.9% feeling it isn't the starter!! thx in advance!! for the help
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Sounds like its the ground. Double check your ground connections. Did u test your battery? I had a battery do something similar when it was on its last leg.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:01 AM

the battery that was in the truck has been on the bench charging since about 6pm last night!... it's raining here today so don't really wanna go out and mess with it in the rain (no garage) but that's what i planned on doing following every wire to see where it led! i also replaced the ground cable that goes to the inner fender by the battery, with 8 gauge power wire from a stereo, i'm thinking that might not be grounded or something??
Old 09-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Test the battery with a voltmeter. I had a similar issue, but was while I was deployed. Mine turned out to be the starter even though it tested fine on the bench test. Trouble shoot the battery. You can tell the (+) terminal as it goes from the battery to the fuse box behind the battery and has a lead to the starter too. Check your grounds. The (-) neg terminal comes from the alt runs in front of the rad loops around the side of baterry to the neg post. I have a ground to the body there aswell. There is one on the back of the engine driverside, grounds the frame to the block, the other is from the Neg post to the engine block. You want all to be clean with good metal to metal contact.

If all is OK then shift to the starter as it is possible that it is bad, but the bat/ground system is suspect.

If you want to upgrade the ground system do a search on "big three upgrade" I've done it with 1/0 welding ground wire.

Welcome to YT
Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 AM

thanx guys for the info!! when i get a min and it stops raining i'll go out and take another look and let u know what i come up with
Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM

hey guys i got er fired back up!!.... i'll feel really dumb now but oh well!! in the end the positive lead from the starter i had on the neg post so all i was getting was a "click" switched it back to the pos with a pretty much fully charged battery and veerrrrroooooommmmm away she went!! kinda rough at first but then leveled out! so thanx to all that provided help especially "muddpigg" took your instructions out with me then was sitting in the house thinking about dismantling the terminals for the switch to the new ones and remembered the starter lead being taken off the pos post!! so HORRAY

Search this Thread