86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need answer ASAP selling truck this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need answer ASAP selling truck this morning

Well I could not get my truck to go into gear good but the clutch was not slipping so I changed the slave cylinder. That did not help. The only way I could drive it was to turn it off and put it in gear then start it back up in second gear let off the clutch and go. I told a guy my wowes and he said he would buy it off me. He is coming over in 3 hours to buy the truck and now it will not start! Just went out to warm it up and no dice. It has electrical. Has been sitting for two weeks. The clutch start button is not working. Is the clutch pedal not going all the way down and someting that I can push down to get it started so he can drive it away? Is there a starter cylinoid to cross to start it? it is a 92 6 cylinder.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:41 AM

You sure it's not the battery? Start with the obvious stuff first.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:43 AM

it says it has volts on the guage.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

possibly the shifter seat bushing, marlin has them. check the connections on the battery, may look tight but are probably loose. youll have to order the bushing and that may give you time to rethink selling. after all, those are easy fixes.

just my .02.

lee
Old 01-01-2008, 07:00 AM

well when I trun the key i get absolutely nothing, no sound nothing. just looking for a way to get it started up this morning. bushings or not will be the next guys problem. I told him there are issues and he knows so I am just trying to get it so he can drive it off.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 AM

hey it is started but I think I found something out...

Reached behind the clutch and pushed down a white plunger button while turning the key and it started. Could this be my clutch problem? It looks like my clutch is suppose to push that down when it is depressed but it is missing it. IS my bracket just off and that is the cause of all my problems?
Old 01-01-2008, 07:30 AM

maybe I should get more money if it is not the clutch
Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Start with the obvious stuff first.
Maybe I should have been more specific. You said that the "clutch start button is not working", but you didn't actually try and see if this was the case?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:31 AM

sorry I meant the one up on the dash not the one behind the pedal. Now when it starts in gear it takes off. Pushing the clutch just slows it down
Old 01-01-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by jlanham
sorry I meant the one up on the dash not the one behind the pedal. Now when it starts in gear it takes off. Pushing the clutch just slows it down
So you can't start it with the pedal engaged and the shifter in a neutral position?
Old 01-01-2008, 08:45 AM

I can start it in neutral without even pushing the pedal down just hitting the white button and turning the key. But it will not shift into gear. So to drive it I have to put it in gear, reach down hit the button with my left hand while pressing down the clutch so it does not take off hard. Then stall it with the brake or turn the key off when I want to stop it.

Last edited by jlanham; 01-01-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:15 AM

Synchronizers?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 AM

I had a similar problem when I bought my 92 runner. I found out that the bracket that holds the clutch peddle is very poorly braced so it allowed the metal to fatigue and crack, not allowing the clutch to disengage properly. I figured this all out after replacing the clutch, master cylinder, and slave cylinder. I had to pull out the entire clutch/brake peddle assembly weld the cracked part and weld in bracing. That took care of that and have not had problems since.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Sounds to me like your pilot bearing is seazed or your clutch is not disengaging. Either the master cylinder is screwed or like mentioned before your bracket is cracked. I would be leaning towards the later because your clutch start switch was not being hit.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if if moves with the pedal all the way in it isnt disengaging/engaging. could be that the pedal bracket it broken since it doesn't hit the button. if you fix the pedal so it fully disengages/engages it'll be able to start and idle without moving, which tends to be a plus for you as the seller as you'll get more money
Old 01-01-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fizboy
I had a similar problem when I bought my 92 runner. I found out that the bracket that holds the clutch peddle is very poorly braced so it allowed the metal to fatigue and crack, not allowing the clutch to disengage properly. I figured this all out after replacing the clutch, master cylinder, and slave cylinder. I had to pull out the entire clutch/brake peddle assembly weld the cracked part and weld in bracing. That took care of that and have not had problems since.
friend of mine had the same thing we searched and searched found nothing and after many hours and replacement parts i found someone telling of this dropped the bracket welded it and it was good to go
Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
jlanham: Several ppl tried to tell you about the clutch bracket in your previous thread on this SAME TOPIC (why the h#ll do folks insist on starting multiple threads for the same thing???). You never even acknowledge if you checked the clutch bracket, you just insisted on replacing other stuff in the clutch system....?

BTW, this is the previous thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...master-130889/
Old 01-02-2008, 03:26 AM

i had the same problem dude, im pretty sure youll need to bleed youre clutch and make sure your master cylinder isnt leaking.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
jlanham: Several ppl tried to tell you about the clutch bracket in your previous thread on this SAME TOPIC

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...master-130889/
TN Rabbit:
The new owner of the truck probably saw these threads and has already picked up a replacement bracket and is enjoying his 'new' truck,
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM

check the fluids for you clutch. there should be a resevoir right next to your master cylinder. it takes dot 3 brake fluid. if this is low, the clutch will not disengage all the way making it difficult or nearly impossible to put the truck in gear.

Quick Reply: Need answer ASAP selling truck this morning