Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need advice on Steel Seal4 shrt term/temp fix(sry so long,full details incl)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need advice on Steel Seal4 shrt term/temp fix(sry so long,full details incl)

Rig: 1990 3.slo 3vze 4runenr 239k. Head gaskets job at approx 188k/5yrs ago(by a reputable shop). Been running super good until recently.
I live in Lancaster,Pa. and we are entering our winter months. About 2 weeks ago,I noticed I wasn't getting much heat in the cab. I replaced the thermostat,(180 degree)used Prestone radiator flush,filled rad with Prestone 50/50 and still had no heat. Rad. was boiling over into overflow and temp gauge was running way higher than normal. Took rig to certified mechanic friend. He replaced water pump(yes,jiggle pin is at 12 o'clock on thermostat).Timing belt and flushed radiator. Put new antifreeze in. Got better heat,but at idle would lose heat. Took rad. out and flushed with water n air. Reinstalled,disconnected front heater core hoses and flushed with fluid/air both way(in n out). Got great heat,temp gauge is holding at halfway(normal),not boiling over...BUT...at idle I lose heat. Replaced radiator with a new one. Still same symptoms...no heat at low idle. Talked to another ASI certified military mechanic friend,asked him about lower rad. hose and bottom of rad. being cold. Reassured me that,that was normal.
During this entire process,I noticed my exhaust smoking more than normal and it smelled like ass. I contributed the smoke to the 17 degree weather.
The smoke appears to be be a grey-ish manner,but more than normal. I smell anti-freeze outside the truck and I keep checkin under the hood,but all looks good. No leaks or overflowing. Dip stick and oil cap look good. No droplets or foaming. On initial low teen outside temp. start up,rig runs rough for about 1 minute. Then all 6 starts firing n truck runs great. I've been driving it as normal as I always have.
Am I to guess that a head gasket is starting to go bad? (small crack). I think if I replace the heater core I'll get my idle heat back,that's the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet.
Big question: Would Steel Seal give me a quick/temporary fix if this is the beginning symptoms of a hg going?
I've read countless reviews/videos and they are all very good. The bad reviews are from those who had completely gone hg's or they didn't follow the instructions. I do plan on repairing the hg problem if indeed that's wrong,but just not right now. Pry won't get it fixed till about another 1000 miles(early spring).
Will a leak down test cause the hg to get worse? What am I looking for on the spark plus? Is a Combustion Leak test Kit worth me spending the $70 on?
I've always been able to count on YotaTech Guru's on this forum to give good sound advice....and once again...I'm rubbing the magic Guru Mojo and looking for some more good sound advice.
Thanx all!

Last edited by dutchboy; 12-16-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:22 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Fix it right or do a 3.4 swap

Those quick fix magic potions are none of the former. They are take your money and screw up your problem worse horse hooey IMO.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-17-2010, 06:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Fix it right or you will end up having to rebuild that entire motor becasue all your oil passages will be cloged and starve the engine of oil. Getting cheap now will cost you more down the road.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
I would do a leak down test and try to confirm that the HG is the problem, but from what you describe, it sounds like it is.

x3 on fixing it right
Old 12-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dutchboy
Rig: 1990 3.slo 3vze 4runenr 239k. Head gaskets job at approx 188k/5yrs ago(by a reputable shop). Been running super good until recently.

...wasn't getting much heat in the cab. I replaced the thermostat,(180 degree)...water pump... better heat,but at idle would lose heat. Took rad. out and flushed...water core hoses and flushed...Got great heat,temp gauge is holding at halfway(normal),not boiling over...BUT...at idle I lose heat. Replaced radiator...Still same symptoms...no heat at low idle.

...I smell anti-freeze outside the truck and I keep checkin under the hood,but all looks good. No leaks or overflowing. Dip stick and oil cap look good. No droplets or foaming.

Am I to guess that a head gasket is starting to go bad? (small crack). I think if I replace the heater core I'll get my idle heat back,that's the only thing that hasn't been replaced yet.

Big question: Would Steel Seal give me a quick/temporary fix if this is the beginning symptoms of a hg going?

Will a leak down test cause the hg to get worse?

What am I looking for on the spark plus?

Is a Combustion Leak test Kit worth me spending the $70 on?
O.k., by "lose heat at idle" I assume you mean lose heat in the cab. This sounds like a heater core problem. A leaking head gasket is DEFINITELY NOT going to cause that.

And if you're smelling coolant but it's not leaking anywhere, and you're not needing to refill it, then it's not leaking past the head gasket either.The exhaust would smell like coolant, not "ass", if it were leaking into the combustion chamber. What you're smelling is probably the coolant in the overflow tank. It has an air vent/overflow port on the cap that prevents the cap from popping open, or the tank from collapsing, when the air/fluid pressure changes.

As has been stated, don't do the steel seal crap. Especially since it's not leaking right?

You can't really get any useful info from looking at the sparkplugs.

No, a leak down test won't cause the head gasket to get worse. And no, I don't think it's worth the money.

Because, I reiterate, I think your problem is a partially clogged heater core NOT a leaking head gasket.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you all for your input and advice. I strongly agree that repairing the head gasket properly is the best method. This is my DD and I was hoping for a temp. fix,but I should know better. It's going for a leak down test next Tuesday evening. I was told by a local ASI mechanic,that if the spark plugs are clean,that is one small indication of a head gasket issue. I pulled all the plugs today and 2 out of the 6 were clean. One on each side of the engine. Which isn't telling me much. The plugs are only about 6 months old (approx 5k miles).
I do agree as well,that the heater core is my problem when I lose heat in the cab at idle.
I did have to put about 20oz of coolant in rad. today. Got home,popped the hood and saw some droplets around the end of a pressure fitting for a hose going to the steering gear box. Gonna go dry the droplets,fire it up and look for a leak.
The anti freeze smell...well...I just never smelled it before. Very well could be coming from the overflow vent tube.
Thanks all once again...

Last edited by dutchboy; 12-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.