Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need advice on my first 4x4 yota.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation need advice on my first 4x4 yota.

ight well im looking into buying this yota. Its a 1989 Toyota Pickup 4X4 ext. cab, white, 3vz-e, 5spd, i wanna say its an SR5 cuz it has all the works. I just went to go see it today and the guy only wants 1500 for it but there are some areas of concern. Which are.....

When the motor kicked over theres a loud knock coming from the motor.

When turn the steering wheel the power steering squeals.

Can you guys help????

Also heres the pics

Old 07-10-2007, 06:23 AM

The power steering is a relatively simple fix so that would not concern me too much. The knock would however. My guess is that it may need a motor rebuild or a used replacement motor, which can sometimes be hard to come buy. It all depends on how much time and money you are looking to invest.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With 271K on the odometer and a knock, it's pretty clear the engine is out of life. Did the power steering pump have fluid? It may be dead too. I think the speedometer is broken too, as the needle position looks odd to me. Is the body free of rust and major dents? The interior looked sort of shabby. This looks like a great project truck for about $500-$1000, if free from significant body damage and not missing any parts.

Don't fall in love with trucks like this, pay what they are worth. You will have several thousand dollars in it before you can reliably take it on the road, and it would only be worth a few thousand. As it sits, it may be worth more to a junkyard.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 AM

At least it's clean.

Really though,
1500 bucks isn't too bad, even if you had to do a motor swap. But I'll bet you can find a better deal (as in a truck that doesn't need a rebuild) if you look around.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:28 AM

I think you could do better than that for $1500. It is an SR5. Did it knock only while cranking? Or did it even start? I'm with GeorgiaDave on the speedo, that doesn't look right. Another thing to consider is that vehicles that have been sitting outside like that are prime nesting grounds for mice and rats- the rats are a real problem, as they are compelled to chew on everything. Look for droppings in the low spots on top of the motor. Only buy it if you can test drive it extensively and check all the electrical functions, rats like chewing on wires. Oh and run the heater at all positions after it's warmed up, to make sure there isn't a dead one in the ducts. If it does need a motor, go to kbb.com and check it's value, then subtract the cost of the needed major repairs, that will give you an amount for a decent offer and a good point to negoitate with.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:45 AM

The power steering squeel may just be the belt. I'd have a mechanic do a leak down test on the cylinders to see if that is ok but it sounds like you might have a bad crank bearing or crank.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

the knock could simply be rod knock. Yank off the oil pan and see how the bearings look underneath. For $1500, you could throw another $500 into it and have a decent running trail rig.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 AM

If it is in need of a motor swap/rebuild, I would say $800 is more reasonable.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The motor will need to be rebuilt with that knock. If it's rust free...kinda looks that way from the pic.... it's only worth about $700 +/-. Atleast, they go for that around here in that kind of shape.

You're also looking at what kind of shape components are in. Fuel pump, tank, transmission, transfer case, brakes, VAF meter, fuel pressure regulator, vacuum hoses and switches, sensors, radiator, etc., etc. Give it a complete go-over and decide how much work you want to put into it. You could buy it but not be able to actually drive it for a while.

Get a good history on it with paper work and such.

If it were me, and the vehicle was maintained pretty well, and it's free from rust, I'd haggle the price starting at $700 and settle for no more than $850. Then, I'd get it home, rebuild (or even drop a 3.4 in!) and put some manual hubs on it. It's a good looking truck and it's a 5spd.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:00 AM

yea im gonna go up with a buddy of mine that is a great mechanic to find out the problem. im hoping that he could really drop his price. i would want this truck to be my daily driver, once i start with my new motor in my yota.

but as for rust there was none that i could see, didnt really get to check underneath, and also there were no mice droppings.
yea and i believe most likely that the speedo cable is broken!

How much do you guys think i should get it for?? cuz his not buggin from 1500, i didnt think it needed that much work. but lemme know what you guys think?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:01 AM

yea im not trying to do a motor swap, i mean i would love to but i dont have to money to.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike
the knock could simply be rod knock. Yank off the oil pan and see how the bearings look underneath. For $1500, you could throw another $500 into it and have a decent running trail rig.
You're right about that. Although, yanking the pan is a chore.

You could just get a sample of the oil and check it for particulates. If the bearings are going, there will be a copper tone to the oil.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:13 AM

yea ill hafta see if its that easy.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by shoes138
yea im gonna go up with a buddy of mine that is a great mechanic to find out the problem. im hoping that he could really drop his price. i would want this truck to be my daily driver, once i start with my new motor in my yota.

but as for rust there was none that i could see, didnt really get to check underneath, and also there were no mice droppings.
yea and i believe most likely that the speedo cable is broken!

How much do you guys think i should get it for?? cuz his not buggin from 1500, i didnt think it needed that much work. but lemme know what you guys think?
Okay, then a good look underneath. And get the history. A history may give you an idea of what all may need replacing in the near future. If it's running now with just a knock, it might be an easy rebuild.Then, you can take care of any aging components down the road.

He's not budging from that price? Hmmm....not at all? Buggers! Well, if everything else..drivetrain, etc....is in good shape and you have $1500, then it's probably worth a shot.. Even if you only have to put in another $1k (at most!) I suppose it's a pretty good deal. But, try to even get him down a couple hundred. Is he aware the motor needs rebuilding?

Another thought...for leverage...get a blue book value on it.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM

yea thats what im gonna do, and also having my buddie there to tell him the extent of the damage. i want it for at least a G. that seems the only problem with it.

and also the clutch pedal wont spring back up, it will just stay on the ground. could it just be that the spring is broken that would bring the clutch pedal back up?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 AM

also KBB.com wont even give me a price for poor all it says N/A have someone appraise it.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:40 AM

Call a friendly dealership, shoes. They should give you a value. If not, I'll give the dealer here a call. I'm on real friendly terms with them.

Look at the pedal assembly and the bracket. It may be as simple as a spring.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
that seems a little much for what kinda shape the truck is in.
If it looks in that bad of shape you can pretty much guess how the truck was taken care of.

Personally I would pass on that one.
Looks like you would need an engine rebuild and probibly a clutch right off the bat, but perhaps the mc or slave is gone or pedal is cracked.

I would save the money and find another one.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pass.

If it was a 22RE, maybe. But with gas prices what they are, there's no reason to accept a marginal deal on a 3VZE gas hog.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 PM

Yeah, pass on that one. It does sound like it needs some work.

There are a lot of Toyota's out there for sale for that kind of money.

For example:
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/car/369237056.html

I know it's $1000 more (and a pretty long drive), and it's not a P/U, but it's got a 22RE and it's in great shape. These kinds of trucks (4Runners and P/U's) are what you should look for IMO.

There are really good deals out there, just be patient and as stated before, don't fall in love with the truck.

Quick Reply: need advice on my first 4x4 yota.