Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need advice on getting rid of rust

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on getting rid of rust

I have an '89 4Runner where the front fenders are pretty rusted. Where is the cheapest place to get replacements? Will any replacements work? Ebay? Also, the rear fenders have some rust, not too bad, but whats the best and cheapest way to fix that? I'm thinking of cleanin up the Runner and getting it painted this summer! Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha, I just fixed some minor rust spots today. First time trying it too. Anyway you will need a grinder and a body filler kit and some sand paper (40, 80 and 180 grit) and some primer.

Carefully grind away any rust spots, make sure you dont make any holes thru your truck here. Then add the hardener to the body filler and mix it up, it will harden quick so work fast. Fill the grind holes with the filler, work it in good and leave a little mound of extra so when you sand you dont dig it out.

By the time you fill all the holes the first one you did will probably be ready for sanding. At any rate you just go from coarse grit to fine grit to finer grit till its all smooth.

Then you spray on your primer and you should be good to go untill you paint it.

Cost me like $40 to get all the stuff I needed/
Old 06-09-2007, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

Nice! Thanks for the reply. Where were the rust spots on your truck? I think this will work on the rear, but the fronts have to be replaced.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 AM

Thats is exactly not how to do it. That will probably bubble up soon or crack. And will show up under paint unless it was blocked out too. If you arent going to cut out the rust spots and replace with good metal atleast you can cut out the rust and fiberglass then filler. On mine, I cut out the bad metal and replaced it with clean sheetmetal. Filler is not supposed to fill holes and should never be put on more then 1/8 inch thick, maybe 1/4 in small spots where its absolutly neccesary. Patch panels are available for your bedside. You can get new OEM Fenders from Toyota for the front or go cheap and get aftermarket, But alot of the time the fit isnt as good on aftermarket. I can get some prices if you need I have wholesale accounts set up for me and my friends custom shop

Last edited by ShortyzKustomz; 06-09-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by toyotatom93
Ha, I just fixed some minor rust spots today. First time trying it too. Anyway you will need a grinder and a body filler kit and some sand paper (40, 80 and 180 grit) and some primer.

Carefully grind away any rust spots, make sure you dont make any holes thru your truck here. Then add the hardener to the body filler and mix it up, it will harden quick so work fast. Fill the grind holes with the filler, work it in good and leave a little mound of extra so when you sand you dont dig it out.

By the time you fill all the holes the first one you did will probably be ready for sanding. At any rate you just go from coarse grit to fine grit to finer grit till its all smooth.

Then you spray on your primer and you should be good to go untill you paint it.

Cost me like $40 to get all the stuff I needed/

If you dont want it popping back through the bondo in the next 6 months the best method is to get a wire wheel and get as much of it loose as you possibly can, then get a bottle of rust convertor(not spray) and check on the back label and make sure it includes tannic acid

When you brush that on it converts the iron oxide into iron tannate stopping the oxiddization of the metal use as much as needed. Wait until all the rust has turned dark black and then go nuts with the bodywork

Or you can weld new panels in
Old 06-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess it depends on how much rust there is. I mean mine wasent bad at all, just some surface rust where a little paint is bubbling up and grinding an 1/8 easily took it all away. I had maybe 5 spots the size of a quarter or smaller on the sides of my box, and one longer one around my gas cover and one long one above my wheel well. Nothing was thru the sheet metal.

Like I said it was my first time doing it, so I am no expert but to me it seems like cutting and welding spots like that would be overkill.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
Rust never sleeps , or slows down ...

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com

check this one out https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/4-skin-98299/
Old 06-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info guys. After looking at my truck closer, I think I can just replace the pass side fender, and grind off the rust on the remaining fenders. I'll get some of that stuff w/the tannic acid. I did not know that, so thank you! First thing I did when I got the truck last year was buy like 2 cans of the rust converter and sprayed everywhere I could see rust. It has helped, but I will check again. After seeing all the nice trucks here, I've been inspired to clean my truck up a little more.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Good luck with your rust repair, but after seeing Corey (aka Slacker)'s thread I would be tempted to go to BC and have him do the repair...but there is something to be said about the satisfaction of doing the work yourself....