Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need Advice on Flowmasters

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Flowmasters

I know there are countless amounts of muffler threads on here but I'm still not sure what to get for a flowmaster muffler. I have a beautiful 1990 v6 pickup and wanted to give it a more loud deep rumble when i get on the gas. I've heard the 40 series sound ricey and i dont want that at all. Anyone use the 50 series on the v6? Im pretty much stuck on what to get so any advice would be appriciated.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:17 PM

I had one put on my 3.0 for a second and that was enough to change my mind. They sound horrid on these engines IMO. I can't remember what series it was, but I wouldn't even consider anything close to it on a 3.0.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
I have a 40 on my 3.4S/C ..

http://toyotatrekker.proboards.com/i...d=33&post=2707

Old 07-26-2009, 09:00 PM

flowmasters are horrible i suggest a cherrybomb vortex
Old 07-26-2009, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just installed a 22" magnaflow on my 3.4 last week, still not sure about the sound. Hoping it settles in a bit like some have suggested they will. With deckplate and ISR mod, it really drones at 35-45. Makes good noises when you hammer it, though.

Good friend has a 40 series on his jeep, says its good and loud, but annoys him and everyone he wheels with when they get anywhere near anything that sound bounces off of (rock walls, etc).

Last edited by The Ruckus; 07-27-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: magnaflow, not flowmaster.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:17 PM

from what I've heard, cherry bombs sound amazing, but arent 50 state legal. I have a magnaflow muffler and it sounds pretty good. We just dont have the displacement to make the flowmasters sound good. I had a 4.3l s10 blazer and the flowmaster on that thing sounded amazing - like a beefy V8. On the other hand, my buddy put a v6 camaro's flowmaster on his 90 acura integra and it sounded like the absolute definition of 'ricey'.

Here's a cherry bomb 3VZE:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGUrNgTgNN8

3vze with flowmaster 40:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3HXURjNsdQ

I cant find one of a magnaflow, I'll have to post one of my own one of these days

I say cherry bomb for the win!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I swear I have heard a 3vze with a 50 series flowy and it sounded great! The 40's sound like weezy crap though...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 AM

*Advise/Reminder: The amount of light and/or compound bends or lack thereof can always affect the exhaust note. After a local guy had his 60 series muffler and exhaust system done to just initially get past smog, he had it reworked to tuck up better/tighter. It had more bends added and actually IMHO sounds a lot better.

Search youtube using terms like 3.0 3-vze flowmaster

There's plenty of results there, then, just message the poster to see if they're close to you and willing to let you get a in person hear, as it never sounds as good/bad online.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by The Ruckus
Just installed a 22" flowmaster on my 3.4 last week, still not sure about the sound. Hoping it settles in a bit like some have suggested.
since its a chambered type muffler its not gonna settle its just sound the same
Old 07-27-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by KelleyC
*Advise/Reminder: The amount of light and/or compound bends or lack thereof can always affect the exhaust note. After a local guy had his 60 series muffler and exhaust system done to just initially get past smog, he had it reworked to tuck up better/tighter. It had more bends added and actually IMHO sounds a lot better.
I believe the placement of the muffler and the length of the exhaust pipe will also have an affect on the note...Kinda like a pipe organ using various length pipes for its notes.

CB
Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 AM

thanks for the quick opinions, keep em' coming.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
When I went , several years ago, to have a Flowmaster put on my 90 v6 the guy talked me out of it. He had what he called an Aero-Turbine and while it was a little more money then the Flowmaster, he said to run it and if I didnt like it, he would take it off and put me a Flowmaster on. He said he was selling a lot more of them then Flowmasters and he had not taken any off he had installed. Its been on there for about 4 yrs and I do like it. Its not as loud as the 40 series and it has a deep mellow tone to it. Its not disgusting driving on the highway. I had a 40 on an old Bronco one time and I believe you could have landed an F16 next Rick
Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 AM

so the aero-turbine doesn't sound ricey? if not, thats basicaly what im looking for. And its nice and low when you get on it?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
since its a chambered type muffler its not gonna settle its just sound the same
Ah, copy that. Starting to wonder about the goofy tip that came as part of the kit from Stillen. It's only 3-4 inches long, but I'm already wondering what it would sound like if I chopped it off.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cherry bomb it!. i cut off the old muff took off the cat. put on a cherry bomb glass pack and left it. till one night i was coming home and 2 five o's pulled me over harassing me. gave me a ticket saying my was in non working order and complains of a loud truck (in my neighbor hood) been living here for 16 or more years lmfao. went to a old school shop added a cherry bomb turbo after more pipe sounds sweet when it starts up and mean under accel. not as loud as i liked it with the glass pack alone
Old 07-27-2009, 09:13 PM

I put a 50 series Flowmaster on my '91 3.0 a year ago ( some 15,000 miles ago ) and honestly I couldn't be happier. The absolute last thing I wanted was an abnoxiously loud or super ricey sound...lets face it, at 3.0, its a small displacement engine that can only make so much sound. That said, I put the 50 series on it with a 2.25" tailpipe and absolutely love the sound. It's subtle, unless you're up above 3,000 rpm with the throttle wide open, but it does give you that deep Flowmaster sound...especially while decelerating. If nothing else talk to your local mom and pop muffler shop, given the way things are in the world the last few months, they're likely to let you try out a muffler and if you absolutely despise it, they'll swap it out for the difference in muffler cost. Give it a shot...you know, no guts no glory, right?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Terms of sound its all about you. Each person has their own take on exhaust sound so just go out and see for your self.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I like the way the stock exhaust sounds on my pickup.
Just sounds like a tractor to me.
Anything else is too loud or just sounds like a riced up honda..
Old 07-28-2009, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yea when i was a little younger i thought a header and 2.25" exhaust to a flowmaster 40 on my 22re it sounded nice but it was a little loud i went with a more mellow tone this time around just enough sound to make you smile but not be soo loud it gets annoying

Last edited by Elton; 07-28-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put a Downey kit on my '89 4Runner 3.0 V6 two years ago, the full kit, headers, crossover, high flow cat, etc, etc.

It came with a Magnaflow muffler that made the rig sound like a rice burner. I cannot believe Downey ships that kit with that muffler. Also, the cabin resonance was terrible with the Magnaflow. At certain RPM's the interior cabin would resonate with the exhaust and my head would feel like exploding. Worst still, the wife was not happy, wanted that entire kit out of there.

So, I had to peg to the other hard stop or the wife would make life hard on me, so I bought a 70 series Flowmaster off Summit and bolted that in. The 70 series is their big block, lowest cabin resonance muffler. I get compliments all the time on how the rig sounds. Just yesterday I had a guy at work compliment me on the sound when I parked it in the parking lot. It has a deep rumble too it, damn near like a V-8, but does not resonate with the cabin or scream like a 4 cylinder at higher RPM. Overall, I love the choice. It is a monster though, actually bigger than the stock muffler, a huge hunk of metal under there.

And best of all, the wife liked it also, and when mama is happy, we are all happy.

Mike

Last edited by OutlawMike; 07-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Flowmasters