Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Myth/theory of the 22re Cracked Block

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Myth/theory of the 22re Cracked Block

I have a question related to my current project right now which is restoring a manual 86 4runner with a 22re. It had a blown headgasket. My mechanic just finished the headgasket job, with a complete Yota headgasket kit, timing chain, etc. and let it run 20 minutes and then called me up to say the engine ran strong but there was a problem - water in the oil. His theory was that the truck sat over two winters with the hood not properly seated and that ice caused the block to crack, although he said there's no visual confirmation, just a hunch.

I searched the likelihood of a cracked 22re block in the threads and came up with the following: "never seen a 22re get cracked" "never heard of one cracking or read about one either" "22re block dont crack". This came from a thread with the same problem - recent headgasket job with water in the oil. Turned out to be the front cover (timing cover). Here was his story - "The guy before me installed a cheap timing chain, which loosened. I had it changed ong ago for a yota one. The front cover was scored deeply by the chain, but all seemed well. They replaced my front cover on a hunch and all seems good. Makes sense as the score marks were right at the main water port."

I'm going ahead with replacing the front cover as well (gone so far, why stop now) and will post a follow up, but I thought I'd share this because the idea of a cracked 22re block seems to come up so rarely, it'd probably be worth a seat in the archive here.

Any thoughts on my mechanic's theory?

Thanks, peace.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds pretty good. But Ice will crack a block

And i have heard of the cover being worn and not replaced and folks having that problem.

We never really worried about replacing the HG as it was just easier to get a low mileage Japan one and slap it in.

Good luck
Old 01-30-2009, 04:43 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
If you take off your valve cover and look down on the drivers side of the timing cover thats where if anything it "should" be cracked. Not saying no-where else will crack, but tha area is just prone because of the drivers side guide breaking away and so on. If you lived near me i could do some nondestructive testing for you in school! man that stuff is neat.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:14 AM

Why would the hood being open matter? Unless you left in pieces, nothing other than mice should have found their way in. Or did you actually leave the engine sitting full without antifreeze?

Assuming you didn't, my money would be on the timing cover being chewed up, or the head/block surface being imperfect. Both should have been checked by the mechanic though
Old 01-30-2009, 06:18 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Similar but different issue....92 22re, presumed blown headgasket, will be going to the garage in the next few weeks. spoke to the mechanic yesterday and, after i told him the problem happened in july and the truck got parked that day and not run since (except to move it from the yard to the garage in november) that since i had water in the oil (milky oil) and since it hasn't been run, i may have pitted the crankshaft.. i hope not!!

As far as cracking the block sitting outside with or without the hood open......I would assume that the block would not crack from that. that whatever is freezing would not be strong enough to crack the block. i would also assume that the only way to do this would be an extreme temperature change rapidly (hot engine doused with cold water) and why would you do that unless it's on fire. Me ,not being a mechanic.....I would question the timing cover as you said there is wear on it, as well as i may question the head gasket repair job itself.

I'm hoping, in my case, that my head gasket repair is all i need (in addition to radiator / thermostat and anything else worn out or a contributing factor to the overheating and blown head gasket). If it does end up that I did more harm to the engine by letting it sit so long, I will regret that,,,,,,and still get it fixed. I will post what I find out.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:56 PM

Check the timing cover
Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 PM

Sweet name
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Definately Front Cover

That's what mechanic just called to tell me, it's definately the front cover, which is a big relief that it's not a cracked 22re. Anyone know where to get a front cover? I'm in Middletown, suggestions?

Peace

Trevor FNG
Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM

napa carries them 600-5308 or 0582410. Common problem so most parts stores should be able to get u one.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
. . . or you can have the old one TIG'd
Old 02-03-2009, 03:52 AM

Thumbs up

I'm going with a new timing cover from a local parts chain for around 130.00 with gaskets. The only thing I wish I'd gotten in time for this job is steel guides, as I believe the OE timing kit guides I have are plastic. I hope now I'll be moving on to more fun stuff like tires and rims and lift, and less fun stuff like registration and insurance. Thanks to all who replied here, it's an incredible archive which I aim to contribute to in the weeks months and hopefully years ahead.