Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My VAFM SWAP...Whad u think??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My VAFM SWAP...Whad u think??

Fellow Yoters:

I was going to add this post to ISR MOD but decided to post it on a separate thread since it deals with a different subject (then again might be related to ISR). Easy to manage this way and can be search separately.

here's the link to MY ISR MOD in case you want to know where the MOD started:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-think-181357/

So...here's my latest MOD -3VZE VFAM swapped with 2VZE (CAMRY) or 7MGE VAFM (Celica):

EDIT Note (06/22/09): I used the CAMRY VAFM.

Parts List:

Correction: VAFM
1) 2VZE VAFM pn:22250-74180 (off from a 90 Camry) --> $45 jy / $25 air filter box

2) 3"-2" (blue) coupler from Spectre --> $7 (qty 1)

3) 1/2 elbow sprinkler bib --> $0.65 (qty 2)

4) 1/2" x 2' flat steel (for bracket) $5

misc parts I have lying around:
plexi glass, pan head screws.

Note:
Before doing any mounting / swapping, I did some verification and comparison between the two meters. Made visual comparisons on the internal parts/component and found no difference. Compared the resistance values, very small differences. Same number of pins and pin assignments. Here are the pic (see if u can tell the difference):

...see any difference?

Swappppp...time...

Swap is straightforward. Hardest part is actually coming up with the correct brakets to hold the box and figuring out the correct position and height.

Filter box:
To save time I made three brackets but ended up using only two as u can see in the pic below (was good enough to hold the box in placed):

Next...installed the blue coupler from Spectra: this is a tight fit

then fabricated a 2" x 2" plate from a plexiglass. I used the plate to mount the 90 degree sprinkler nozzle/nipple (will use this to connect the resonator hose). Pic below shows what I mean (you'll see its usage later).

Note: the Cressida air filter has a separate reservior box. I took it out because it's too big and there's no use for it .Replaced it with what I made shown above.

next, did a mock-up install to figure out the correct location and height of the box.

Here's what I found during mockup, to get the right height, sawed/cut one corner of the box. Pic below shows which corner:

If you don't cut this corner the box will sit higher and the top cover of the meter will hit the hood. Pic below shows where they touched: I painted the hood with white paint so that when I will know exactly where it will hit/touch.

here's the paint location on the hood:

top side bottom corner of the meter made contact with the hood - see paint mark:

Here's what I found is the best location/position (at least for me - I have smaller hands - gorrila hands -big hands- might not work / fit - tip later):

Here's the final location / position of the box after several tries.

the location/position resulted with enough room to be able to close/open the four box latches:
here's where they are at - yellow arrow shows the distance needed to open the 3 latches (4th in the the other side is pretty open)

latch next to the distributor:

latch next to the front-right side headlight (notice I took out the original box filter back headlight cover - needed more room here)

here's where the tightest spot - notice my finger:

here's the 4th latch - wide open:

Once satisfied with the location / height - I tightened all screws and installed all hoses.

Here's the final assembly:

another look:

and another: note resonator hose connected to the 90 degree nozzle.

Tip for gorrila hands:
You can rotate the coolant reservior 90 degrees - this should give u plenty of room to adjust the box.

and possibly move the PAIR resonator/hose here:

Swap Result:
Result of the swap is very satisfying considering the $ I spent. I felt additional power specially on stop and go. Hopefully I can get a dyno - but for now just dyno on the pants. I can say that it's definitely sucking more air and because of this it's a lot louder (see vid below). Sounded like a mini v8 (if there's such a thing). I don't mind the sound - get's very addictive.
I can say also that this swap has more power than the original 3vze vafm with K/N filter. Mind you I'm using an old paper air filter - came with the box when I got it from the jy.
Now that I know that it works, I will replace it with a newer filter (probably K/N later). Also go with bigger ISR pipe.

I can also say that power output of this swap will definitely benefit/improve further with bigger exhaust but I know the GURUs in this site have more info / knowledge to impart as to the advantages/disavantages of doing this swap.

--- other recomendations to further improve this mod w/o expending a lot of $$??

(finally got the vids)

under the hood...

here's one where ECT was turned on...not sure if this normal but I was not able to do this before:

http://gs160.photobucket.com/groups/...t=101_0115.flv

well that's it for now...let you know the status later ....

NOTE;
I didn't do any adjustment on the VAFM, left it as is.
Didn't do any timing advancement
Pretty much stock...

so whad u think??

Last edited by edwinb4x4; 06-22-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Vafm model type correction
Old 06-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for the write up & pics~

Old 06-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Wish I could see the pics!! Stupid work computers...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha...now i can and you cant??? LOL ...computers these days...

Very nice writeup...just post up the link to the video and then one of the mods will imbed it for you.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the feedaback...

btw, what is a good exhaust that I can swap with my stock?
pricewise/sizewise...recommendation?

894x4--> I'll upload the vid later.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It feels good to mod something like this and have it work doesn't it. Great write up, good job! This will help out the rest of the 3.0 folks.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Heck yeah! That's awesome very clean!!!

Originally Posted by 894x4pickup
Haha...now i can and you cant??? LOL ...computers these days...
Yeah, photobucket is apparently a BAD site on my work computers. So, pics don't show up and I have to wait till I get home.

Last edited by BigBluePile; 06-02-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Great writeup!!! Love it, now I know what I'm going to be working on after I get her up to snuff. This will be my first engine mod I'll be doing!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:46 PM

to embed a youtube vid... its ["youtube]hyperlink[/youtube"]

without the "" marks
Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Finally got the vid clips uploaded...

...do you think it's too loud? Only happens at higher rpm..

I wonder if the db will go down if I install the stock intake hose...hmm.

Anyway...this swap difinitely woke up the lion on this engine...likes to roar. Only if I can upgrade the exhaust then it can probably breathe much better...

Hey Lumpy...let us know the stat once you are done with ur mods..

thanks again for ur feedaback...
Old 06-02-2009, 10:39 PM

sweet mod. thinkin about doin this for myself
Old 06-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Nice videos but a little voice over detailing what you're trying to show [if possible] would make them better lol...
any further improvement in mpg or are you suffering from "happy foot" again?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:01 AM

I guess I would like to know how you adjusted it to either lean or richen the unit. Did you go off of resistance readings from a multi-meter ? Also I take the whole unit was plug in and play.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
How much larger is the inside mouth of the VAFM on the 7MGE? Got pics?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is big news for the 3vze! Thanks a lot Edwin! A great new development. I second TNRabbit's question, I'm curious as to what % larger the diameter of the 7MGE VAFM is. Seeing as airflow is the 3vze's achilles heel, added airflow is fantastic. The sound is much different, sounds great. Nice clean install too!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM

just wondering, couldn't you just modify the 3vze's housing to accept the larger 7mge vafm? possibly cut out the plastic mounting plate from each and then swapping and using plastic weld?? And maybe for the tube, use exhaust scrap pieces from a local muffler shop (could even get them to throw in a bend or two where needed). Dremmel would be your friend in this mod. Just a thought, maybe I am looking at it wrong, but what do I know?? Great discovery, great work, awesome mod!!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
huh..makes me want to get a 3VZ-E......maybe...

How much was the VAFM if you dont mind me asking?

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 06-03-2009 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stepside trd
just wondering, couldn't you just modify the 3vze's housing to accept the larger 7mge vafm? possibly cut out the plastic mounting plate from each and then swapping and using plastic weld?? And maybe for the tube, use exhaust scrap pieces from a local muffler shop (could even get them to throw in a bend or two where needed). Dremmel would be your friend in this mod. Just a thought, maybe I am looking at it wrong, but what do I know?? Great discovery, great work, awesome mod!!
That probably would'nt work so well... the 7MGE airbox is larger because the filter/airflow is larger, the smaller air filter/box on the 3VZ would cause a restriction and reduce efficiency. I am curious though if this mod might cause the mixture to "lean out" because of the outside of parameter airflow...
Old 06-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Edwin I was just taking another look at your mod and referencing your part#s to toyodiy.com and I may have found a few anomalies...
your quoted part# and airbox in the pic seem to go to a different vehicle. The airbox appears to be off an older Celica. The VAFM on the cressida # is 22250-42080 and the airbox is very similar to 4R stock....
can you check and verify the part#s? I can cross reference with some friends at a dealer and get the model it came off of to aid everyone in finding them in the yard.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
tho this is a really cool mod, i have a sneaking suspicion about it...
like the camry AFM swap from long ago, unless you do some major rework to the airflow going thru the heads, i.e. porting, polishing, and boring associated parts, what gain will you get??

like i said, this is awesome, but im not too sure its gonna do very much unless you do some more work...

Quick Reply: My VAFM SWAP...Whad u think??