Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My upcoming maintenance: missing anything? 93 3.0

Old 01-30-2011, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My upcoming maintenance: missing anything? 93 3.0

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, as my other love (my motorcycle) has been taking up all my time, along with school, work, and the wife and kid. So I am about to perform some (probably) overdue, and preventative maintenance on my truck's 3.0. I picked it up with 123k a few years back, and it has about 180k now. So the timing belt is due.

I am also going to replace:
valve cover gaskets (leaking)
water pump
thermostat
both idlers
fuel injectors (with cleaned units from witch hunter)
spark plugs
fluids in the transmission, transfer case, and differentials
and do a valve adjustment

I might be replacing the radiator also, or at least getting it fixed while it's out as it has a small leak.

So here is my list. If anyone can think of things to add, or that should be done while in there, please let me know. Basically I'm looking for any advice on any glaring holes I have in my little plan.

For timing belt, water pump and thermostat:

Idler pulley $72.47

Idler $123.44

Timing belt $31.39

Lower cover gasket $10.37

Upper cover gasket $6.35

Front cover gasket $24.68

Inner seal $1.32 (in between the upper idler and the engine)

Water pump $95.76

Thermostat $19.19

For valve cover gasket and everything else:

Valve cover gasket (x2) $24.48

Plenum gasket $7.34

Spark plugs (still have to look into which ones to get)

Fuel injectors.

Special tools I don't have, that I know I'll need:

Something to hold the crankshaft while I loosen the pulley (might not be necessary as I have a 5 speed)
Something to grip the cam pulley for messing with the belt
A puller for the crank pulley
A smaller in-lb torque wrench for the valve covers and other stuff
A bigger torque wrench for the crank
A timing light (I think I lost mine)
A degree wheel

Plan of attack:

pull the valve covers, adjust valves
install new injectors
do the timing belt and all the other crap
do the fluids in everything else

A couple things I couldn't find on the parts websites:
Does the upper idler require a gasket on the outer horizontal surface where the neck goes?

Does the water pump come with a new gasket? I'll by buying from Toyota as I have had nothing but problems with crap parts from auto parts stores.

Those of you who have done valve adjustments, do the Toyota dealers normally have the shims in stock or do you wind up having to wait? Or do you just get them from parts stores?

Well I guess that is it for now. I'm also planning on taking lots of pictures and possibly doing a write-up if I have the time. This site has always helped me out, and so I like to return the favor as much as possible. I just know as soon as I do all this, my clutch will take a dump on me. Especially since I just spent $900 on tires. That's usually how things work out for me....

Since everyone loves pictures, here is what will soon be giving me headaches and busted knuckles: (I have to lose those damn running boards too, another thing on the list...)
Old 01-30-2011, 10:33 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by b.miller123
Special tools I don't have, that I know I'll need:
A degree wheel

A couple things I couldn't find on the parts websites:
Does the upper idler require a gasket on the outer horizontal surface where the neck goes?

Does the water pump come with a new gasket? I'll by buying from Toyota as I have had nothing but problems with crap parts from auto parts stores.

Those of you who have done valve adjustments, do the Toyota dealers normally have the shims in stock or do you wind up having to wait? Or do you just get them from parts stores?
1. A micrometer to measure the valve clearance shims is required.

2. A degree wheel isn't required. Nor will it be of any use.

3. The upper idler surface you're speaking of requires RTV/FIPG. The water oulet that mates to it has a groove that gets filled with it.

4. The water pump may or may not come with a gasket. Either way you can use RTV/FIPG, or the gasket. Or both, as in lightly dope the gasket with RTV/FIPG. It may also have a groove which is meant to be filled with RTV/FIPG, if you choose to do so. It's not necessary to do so, however, and you can use just the gasket even if it has the groove. If it doesn't have the groove, Toyota recommends you use just RTV/FIPG and not the gasket(if you get it from Toyota, and it doesn't have the groove, it probably won't come with the gasket). Basically, the water pump gasket has been phased out. Though you can still find it and use it if you wish, if you were to have Toyota install it for you they would use just RTV/FIPG instead.

5. I ordered my shims online from an OEM parts distributor(1stToyotaParts.com). It took the usual 4-5 business days for them to arrive at my door. You'll need to know the individual part numbers for each of them if you want to go that route. I recommend ToyoDIY.com as the source for those. Parts stores will not have them. There's an online source that isn't affiliated with Toyota that sells them too. CylinderHeadSupply.com, you'll need the 34mm shims/discs. The catch is they only sell them 4 of the same size at a time, not individually, but they're relatively cheaper per shim/disc than Toyota. They also sell the special service tools you can use to change them out. I NEVER go to the stealership for anything or any reason. So I can't tell you about what goes on there, other than everything I hear is bad. FWIW, you can order OEM parts online and have them delivered to your door for cheaper, even including the shipping cost.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-31-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the info man.

Yeah, I remember seeing that part about sealing the upper idler in the manual now. All parts will come from 1st toyota parts. I've had nothing but good experiences with them in the past. Thanks for the link on the valve shims. I forgot about the valve tools, gotta add that to the list. Are those tools from them decent quality? I hate buying junk tools.

Just remembered I have to rebuild my brake calipers too.... Yet another thing on the list.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ill be watching for the write up i gotta take mine apart soon
Old 01-31-2011, 04:06 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
uhhh, are those Toyota parts?

Specially the T-belt?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:53 PM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats great, nice to see someone taking proper care of their rig.

For the valve cover gasket job:
throttle body gasket (between throttle body and intake plenum)
PCV valve and grommet (I'm sure my original was fine, but can't hurt to replace it while your in there)
EDIT: and some Toyota FIPG or RTV for the corners of the valve covers (the half moon sections)

A marker and tape for labeling the vacuum hoses will help. Good luck!

Last edited by pwd; 01-31-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by b.miller123
Are those tools from them decent quality? I hate buying junk tools.
That I don't know. I've never used them. I just remove the camshafts to get the shims out.

But considering you'll probably never use them again, what difference does it really make? It takes hundreds of thousands of miles for the valves to move out of specs. Especially the intakes, mine were still in specs with ~224,000 miles on them. The exhaust were out of specs though, but not drastically. And they had obviously never been adjusted before.

Not to mention that you can't get those tools from anywhere but the stealership or from Toyota's special service tools division online(not really, as you still have to submit your order by phone or with a typed order form by fax or in the mail). For a price of ????. More than likely quite a bit more than CHS.

Here's that link if you desire to find out. http://toyota.spx.com/hwtordr.aspx

The part # for the set is 09248-55040

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-31-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by 89pickumup
ill be watching for the write up i gotta take mine apart soon
Yeah, I'll be placing the order for all the parts at the end of the week.

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
uhhh, are those Toyota parts?

Specially the T-belt?
yeah, the prices are from 1st toyota parts online site

Originally Posted by MudHippy
That I don't know. I've never used them. I just remove the camshafts to get the shims out.

But considering you'll probably never use them again, what difference does it really make? It takes hundreds of thousands of miles for the valves to move out of specs. Especially the intakes, mine were still in specs with ~224,000 miles on them. The exhaust were out of specs though, but not drastically. And they had obviously never been adjusted before.

Not to mention that you can't get those tools from anywhere but the stealership or from Toyota's special service tools division online(not really, as you still have to submit your order by phone or with a typed order form by fax or in the mail). For a price of ????. More than likely quite a bit more than CHS.

Here's that link if you desire to find out. http://toyota.spx.com/hwtordr.aspx

The part # for the set is 09248-55040
good point, I guess I'll take my chances as opposed to dealing with the dealership
Old 03-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Well I got everything done, sorry but no time to do a write up. Well not everything, only the timing belt, water pump, idlers, valve cover gaskets, and valve adjustment. I'll be doing the fluid changes next month, and I changed my mind about the injectors, I'll do those later this year.

I did pick up a pulley holder off ebay that was very nice and came in handy. It was one of the more expensive ones at about $80. It came with all the attachements and was adjustable so I was able to use it on both the cams and crank pulley as needed. Also had to pick up a pulley remover.

All in all, it was kind of a pain, but not too bad. The valve adjustment was what took the longest. Only had to pick up three shims.

Greatest part is that after I got it all back together, the bearing in my alternator decided it was time for them to give out. It's only time and money I guess.....
Old 03-18-2011, 04:51 PM

subscribed and ...thank you especially during these hard times....where are u getting the parts from?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by pholife
subscribed and ...thank you especially during these hard times....where are u getting the parts from?
I got them all from 1st toyota parts online. Fast shipping and they actually verify every order, so they saved me some money because one caliper rebuild kit is enough to do both calipers, and I had ordered two.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Looks like a pretty good list of parts to replace. Im sure youll have a pretty dependable 3vze when your done