Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My truck just got totaled....

Old 12-02-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck just got totaled....

So last monday some lady pulled out in the intersection turning left in front of me and decided it would be better to stop than to continue her mistake and keep on going. Luckily both me and my wife were uninjured in the accident but my truck suffered. The insurance is going to total it and I have to decide what to do with it. I can't decide if it would be worth to part out what is still left of it or if it would be better to take all the money the insurance is willing to part with. The salvage would be 300 but from the auto body shop its going to take about 2500 to fix. So fixing it with the money from the insurance is out of the question due to being a college student and newly married. My truck is an 86 2wd Extra Cab Longbed with the A430D automatic trans with AC and PS all the body is in pretty good shape... I know there isn't much demand for 2wd stuff but the engine is original with only 112000 miles. The cab is immaculate with a sliding rear window and two small dash cracks. With all good glass no cracks just a couple dings in the front windshield. The truck was driven by my grandma so its had an easy 100000 miles. What is your guy's opinion on my situation. And I have to have a DD for work.

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
take the insurance money, Buy the truck back, Part it out or sell it to another toyota guy for profit. Then buy another toyota truck that's a 4x4 and get to wheeling.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:49 PM

how much do you think i could part it out for? and could i get a really solid low miles and good condition for?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You can find 22re's around me for about 2-300. That's around me not you so do some research and find out if it's profitable.You could sell the tranny for that as well. You should have first shot at buying it back and you're (don't quote me) are looking at around 2-400 to buy it back. The salvage yard will only give the insurance co. a certain amount and trust me it's not a lot. You could even list it on cl for a parts vehicle and still make some money back on it.
Check out this thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...309/That's my truck a couple months ago. I only had liability and got nothing for it from insurance. Now this is a isolated incident but i got money for my truck and felt as though i was able to recoup some of my investment back. Although it wasn't much it was enough considering the truck's state.
On the subject of a good running 4x4. Well depends on what your area is selling them for. Around here it's between 2000 and 6000 depending on the year make and model. You have to look around for them. Being in utah i would think you could come across a well built rig for around 7000 if you look hard enough.
Now keep in mind this is only advice so do what you will with it but it's coming from a "if i was in your shoes point of view". When you start looking around you'll find out if it's worth the work to part it or sell it or just let the insurance deal with it. Good luck man feel for ya.
Aaron
Old 12-02-2010, 03:31 PM

when my 94 got hit i had full coverage and insurance gave me 5400 for my truck and then i bought it back for 600 so total was 4800, but mine was in mint condition and the insurance adjuster had a 1st gen 4runner.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

sorry to hear
Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 PM

the downside to keeping is it i don't have the ability to fix it to how it was before. due to me living in an apartment and not having a garage and its on average about 20 and thats the highs. but basically the front clip needs to be replaced and the radiator and the support. and the front bumper. and the hood. i would be able to replace the hood and the bumper myself without to much work and trial and error but the support for the radiator is where i dont think i would be able to fix and thats where it needs it most.
and i will post pics up later i can't get them up now.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss, but these guys are right - you should take the money from insurance and buy it back and part out - but only if it's cheaper than what you get from insurance.

If you do end up parting it out....do you happen to have grey interior and power windows? I'm looking for the passenger side switch.

Sorry - don't mean to be a vulture.

good luck either way.

Phil
Old 12-02-2010, 07:30 PM

sorry but my interior is brown.
sorry the pic isn't that great is a cell phone but its all i had at the time...
but for the time being this is my newish dd

as you can see the late yota in the background
Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 PM

the insurance i was able to talk up $500 from 1694 for the value of my truck so after tax and what not i will be looking at about 2350 and the salvage bid to buy it back is 300
Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I got 5500 for my 1995 Acura Integra GSR with a salvage title back in 2006. I pulled all my mods off it and sold them for even more. i probably got about 7-8k from the whole deal.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM

I have decided to buy it back and at least just fix what i can to make it drive able and road worthy. should require a chain and to play tug of war with my chevy! and then i can still wheel.... and man i wheel the heck out of my 2wd not fast but enough flexing to get the tires off the ground... and for an ifs i think my trucks pretty amazing without mods. although i gotta get some bj spacers. my front is really stiff
Old 12-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I think thats a good plan. You could fix whatever you can fix by yourself and then use the insurance money to have someone else fix the support for the radiator or whatever else needs to be done. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:45 PM

ya i think i can manage if im patient and careful and a little intuitive i can hook my tow strap to the support and just bend it straight by pulling it forward. It only needs to come forward about an inch so it shouldn't be too bad and i'm hoping i can just super glue/duct tape the grill or just ghetto fab one out of corrugated steel and just paint it to match or like black.... thats basically a billet couple hundred dollar one anyway. but is there a good way to get more travel out of my rear shocks. i installed an add a leaf because i was riding on the overloads but now it rides high enough and i have more flex to were my shocks really limit my downtravel.... or maybe its my shackles.... but is there a way to potentially cure this sittuation with what i have. I did get new shocks because the new ones were totally shot. and i don't want to buy new ones mainly because they have like 5000 miles on them.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks like a come-along could pull out the core support pretty easily.
I had to do the same thing with mine.
Looks like you just need a new hood, bumper, lights, etc.
Nothin too hard to fix.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 PM

I don't even have to replace the lights and technically i don't have to replace the bumper but id be screwed if the same thing would happen again. further down the road i'm contemplating doing a sas with a 4wd conversion of course. and then itll get a addicted off road bumper for sure. but for now itll be plain.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
Looks like a come-along could pull out the core support pretty easily.
X2 plus it would be a little easier to see what your doing and how much you need to pull it out
Old 12-05-2010, 07:23 AM

I don't have a come along and don't really want to buy one right now. Just because i don't really have a use for one. I don't wheel enough sketchy stuff to justify one because common is an open diff 2wd i get more stuck in parking lots on ice than in the woods. is there something else that might have enough strength or capacity to bend it back. or is there somewhere i can rent one like autozone.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Check around and ask your friends/neighbors if they have a 2 ton come along..
or just go to harbor freight and spend the cash for a cheapo. You can use it later on for a ton of stuff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My truck just got totaled....