Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My Transmission is making a godawful noise!! *Video*

Old 05-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Transmission is making a godawful noise!! *Video*

HELP, i know its not the driveshafts, but i think its the release bearing or pilot bearing.. has this happened to anyone else?

when im in 4th gear in the beginning im pushing the clutch in for a while then back out, then after i shift into 5th the noise happens only when i let off the gas.. all this happens between 30-55mph..

Last edited by NorCrawler; 05-12-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I might be off here but I think I hear noises that sound like the fins on the pressure plate grinding against a dead throw out bearing. I had a similar noise in mine and when I pullled the tranny the throw out bearing AND pilot were shot. It might be time to drop the tranny and install some new parts. Oh and I noticed some daylight there so getting some new shifter boots and a reataining plate may get rid of some of that noise.

I hope this helps.

edit: I listened to it again a couple of times and you have a bearing that is dead brother. Throw out or pilot I can't tell but something is dead. Time for a tranny drop.

Last edited by Junkers88; 05-12-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:57 PM

do u think i would be able to fix it before memorial weekend???

throw out bearing would be the same thing as a release bearing correct?

Last edited by NorCrawler; 05-12-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
yeah, sounds like the throwout bearing to me, IMO...

but on a side note, I wish I could have seen you trying to drive and record that video at the same time that looked like it was fun, lmao

good luck brother!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 PM

bob saget!!! i know ive been looking for some shift boots but i aint found crap for ones with one for the shifter and tcase shifter, i guess imma have to make my own..
Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 PM

but why would it only make then noise when im going at higher speeds but not lower speeds if it was the throw out bearing or pilot bearing??? cause dont those spin only as fast as the engine speed, not the drive speed???
Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 PM

could it be the T-case bearings????
Old 05-12-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe time to drop the rear shaft and roll around in FWD mode?
Old 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM

ok so i dropped the tranny today.. popped out the throw out bearing and it does seem to be noisy when i spin it. so i ordered a new one of those, but the sleeve piece that is inside of the bearing is broken.. but when i get a new throw out bearing doesnt it come with everything???

should i order a pilot bearing and replace that as well??? i spun that and its smooth..

Last edited by NorCrawler; 05-13-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by NorCrawler
ok so i dropped the tranny today.. popped out the throw out bearing and it does seem to be noisy when i spin it. so i ordered a new one of those, but the sleeve piece that is inside of the bearing is broken.. but when i get a new throw out bearing doesnt it come with everything???

should i order a pilot bearing and replace that as well??? i spun that and its smooth..

Go buy a clutch kit. I got mine from Napa for less than 60$. It's an OEM replacement and since the first one made it past 200,000 miles I figure the next one willl as well. It has the throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch, pressure plate, alignment tool etc. It's easier to do it now that it is to find out later that you shoulda, coulda, woulda......

To get the pilot bearing out you need to tear newspaper into about 4X4" pieces, wet them, and stuff them into the hole. Put in a few pieces and then take a bolt/dowl that fits the hole exactly and tap that bolt/dowl with a hammer. Pull it back out and insert (spelling?) more wet paper, tap, insert, tap, insert etc. It took me all of 2 minutes to pull my pilot bearing doing this exact thing.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM

i dont need a new clutch, i just put in a CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch about 1,500 miles ago..

so you're saying i might as well get a pilot bearing while i have everything apart?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:14 PM

That "sleave" is not supose to come out. The bearing is one part. Unless I am missing something.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM

i dont need a new clutch, i just put in a CenterForce Dual Friction Clutch about 1,500 miles ago..

so you're saying i might as well get a pilot bearing while i have everything apart?
Did you replace it when you did the Centerforce? If not then yes you might as well replace it. It's an easy install with the wet newspaper trick and will keep you from doing it again later. Nothing sucks more than pulling a tranny/t-case again for a 2 minute bearing install.

Originally Posted by Flash319
That "sleave" is not supose to come out. The bearing is one part. Unless I am missing something.
X2. It's a 1 piece unit.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:59 PM

so i got in the new throw out and pilot, the pilot was completely dead it was like a ratchet, so now its just putting it back together and see what happens. thanks for the help guys

Last edited by NorCrawler; 05-14-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pilot bearing is one piece, they can be a pain to get out. Next time I do one, I'll have to try the newspaper trick. I used 2 paint can openers, a scrap piece of steel, and a bolt running throught the middle. We tried a bearing puller, but it was too big to fit in the hole. So I made my own out of what we had lying around.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:44 PM

guess what!! its still making the noise.... but its a little bit quieter.. but still making it as often as it was.. sooo i guess im gonna have to deal with it.

and does anyone know where i can get new shift boots for our trucks???
Old 05-16-2009, 05:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
change your tranny grear oil if theres any even in it.... FILL IT UP! This is simple and may quite somethings down. Sounds like somethings loose but i can't get my figer on it..... i would do an ispection and go down under the truck and make sure everything is tight with no loose bolts. Does it vibrate going down the road? Does it jump out of any gear? Check junk yards for boots.... Toyota dealer?
Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kiroshu
change your tranny grear oil if theres any even in it.... FILL IT UP! This is simple and may quite somethings down. Sounds like somethings loose but i can't get my figer on it..... i would do an ispection and go down under the truck and make sure everything is tight with no loose bolts. Does it vibrate going down the road? Does it jump out of any gear? Check junk yards for boots.... Toyota dealer?
everything is tight, no vibration, no gear pop outs. ill check the fluid but im pretty sure its fine because there is no leaks anywhere, i want a nice rubber shift boot, i bet ones in the junk yard are just as bad as mine, and toyota probably charges a crap ton for theirs. lol
Old 05-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like gears are clashing in the tranny to me but then again sounds like a wheel bearing...hmmm very odd noise i'd still cahnge fluid. oil fluid will casue issues....
Old 05-17-2009, 04:04 PM

and toyota probably charges a crap ton for theirs. lol
Not to sound like an A$$hole but Toyota built trucks we love and are still kicking ass after 20+ years,,, support the damn company

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Transmission is making a godawful noise!! *Video*