Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is my transmission on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my transmission on its way out?

Ok, here's what's happening. I'm pretty sure I've got the original transmission (Auto) in my '94 4runner, and its been acting a little strange ever since I got the truck about 20k miles ago. I'm looking at 183,000 miles on the truck, and no other problems.

1. When cold, or starting out from idling for a long time (like a long traffic light or waiting at the fdrive-through) I'll get this jerkiness for maybe 5-seconds and then everything feels fine.

2. When I shift into reverse the truck will barely back up a slight incline unless I let it set in R for a second at a slightly increased RPM (probably 1500 for 4 or 5 seconds) and then it will take off great and back up anything. It almost seems like I have to give the pump time to pressurize.

3. This is my biggest concern. When I'm idling in drive (700 RPM) and let off of the brake on a flat surface the truck will not roll forward unless I tap the gas. Does this happen with all older 2nd gens?

I've flushed the fluid and changed the necessary maintenance parts, and when I'm on the highway everything works like its supposed to with the lockup in 4th, and I have the usual 3.0 not wanting to climb hills in OD but that's normal. I have factory 4.88s and 32-inch BFG A/Ts which may be a small part of the problem, but I get the feeling that this tranny is on its way out. Any other input?

Thanks,
Andy.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess you checked the ATF filter since you said "changed the necessary maintenance parts".

Might check your kick down cable adjustment, if you haven't already (its at the throttle body along with the throttle cable).
Old 02-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I guess you checked the ATF filter since you said "changed the necessary maintenance parts".

Might check your kick down cable adjustment, if you haven't already (its at the throttle body along with the throttle cable).
Yep, filter is new, and the kickdown cable is adjusted nearly perfectly (it took me a while to find the right point, but its good now). Is there a filter in the T-case section of the A340H too? I don't remember seeing one, but its been a few months.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 02-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AndYota
Is there a filter in the T-case section of the A340H too? I don't remember seeing one, but its been a few months.
Not that I know of. There may be a magnet or 2 in the sump pan.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-25-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:01 PM

I'm also having transmission issues but I don't want to spend any money to have it looked at. I'm just trying to wait it out another year.
It will shift funny until it warmes up to normal operating temperature.
I also have lost the transmission completely twice when switching from Park to Reverse. I just sat there in Reverse and rev'd the engine until it engaged.
First time took about 15 seconds and about 4 minutes the second time.
I've done the fluid change and the cable adjustment without success.
One thing I did do that has helped alot is add Lucas Transmission Fix.
In my novice opinion, I think the problem is with the Torque Converter.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:03 PM

Also, how did your filter look and was it the original?
Old 02-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Astralplane
I'm also having transmission issues but I don't want to spend any money to have it looked at. I'm just trying to wait it out another year.
It will shift funny until it warms up to normal operating temperature.
I also have lost the transmission completely twice when switching from Park to Reverse. I just sat there in Reverse and rev'd the engine until it engaged.
First time took about 15 seconds and about 4 minutes the second time.
I've done the fluid change and the cable adjustment without success.
One thing I did do that has helped alot is add Lucas Transmission Fix.
In my novice opinion, I think the problem is with the Torque Converter.
I've flushed and added Lucas stop slip which has helped a great deal. I only added it to band-aid the problem knowing a rebuild was in the works. When I can afford the time I'll probably buy a junkyard A340H and rebuild it in my garage and swap out when its done. Ii have wondered how often the TQ converter actually goes out, and what actually breaks inside them. I'm suspicious that the pump that pressurizes the whole system is giving out, does that happen?

Originally Posted by Astralplane
Also, how did your filter look and was it the original?
I don't think the filter was original, not dirty enough for the mileage, and the fluid I drained was not pretty, but the fluid I replaced it with has never burned. I'm not sure really, but the seal aroung the pan was done poorly and leaking, so I'm guessing it had been replaced at some point.

Andy.

Last edited by AndYota; 02-25-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

BUMPITY...

Anyone else have input here? I guess I'm just on my own
Old 02-27-2008, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

Might try checking the cooler flow to make sure its not clogged, remove the return line and have someone start the engine while you look at the flow into a bucket. Shut down quickly so you don't loose too much ATF. It should flow pretty strong.

Also you could have your valve body checked out, IPT could do that for you if you want to ship it to them. http://www.importperformancetrans.com/

I have a good A340H I'll sell you, (see the link under my sig).
Old 02-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, I'll get in touch with IPT, and if I find it will be cheaper to buy a used unit, I'll pm you.

Andy.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tranny fluid. Also Seems like there is a slight slipage in your situation but none much. Your tranny seems to be really stiff as well. It being a Toyota it will prolly keep working for a good while. But if you really hate it bad then get it fixed but i would think nothing of it.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Fluid is at the proper level, and at the moment its really not showing any signs of leaving me stranded, but I'm a perfectionist. I'll check the cooler this weekend and take that opportunity to make sure the fluid is still where it needs to be. Also, now that its warming up again in NM, I probably won't have as many slippage problems.

All that, and some sick part of me wants to rebuild it in the garage. I'll probably go to the pick-and-pull, buy another to rebuild.

Thanks for the input.

Andy
Old 04-02-2008, 10:26 PM

has anyone here just disconnected their kick down and relied on their ability to know when the truck needs to down shift?