86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my transmission fluid keeps changing levels on the dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my transmission fluid keeps changing levels on the dip stick

another weird thing going on with my transmission or torque converter? not sure which one it is yet...**95 4runner sr5 3.0 A340H dexron 11 in tranny and t-case**

I checked the Automatic Transmission fluid today just like I have done many times in the past....but something weird is going now and I need some advice

I will try to describe this the best way I can so you understand what I saw and was witnessed by my co worker, who has worked on way many more engines and transmissions than I have and I value his opinion but want more to confirm

I went to check the automatic transmission fluid today (the engine cold) and pulled the dip stick out to see the tranny fluid level and it was up to the first notch and between the second notch (cold) cherry red and no burnt smell at all.I thought good no problem and put the stick back in the tube and started the 4runner so I could check the fluid with engine in neutral and warm to operating temp.I smoked a cig waiting for the engine to warm up and when it did.I pulled the dip stick again to see the fluid level rise between the 3rd and forth notch on the stick and still in the normal range I thought cool....no problem......
I then put the stick back in the tube and shut the engine off.I then let the fluid drain back down into the tranny pan.I pulled the dip stick out again just to check the fluid level and the fluid level was way above the Dexron11 way above the 4th notch and above the dexron 11 stamped on the stick....I thought no way! and my co worker said "you have a bad torque converter doing a back something he called it and causing your torque converter to become unbalance and there fore maybe causing your vibration that no one has been able to locate"
I also have noticed some tranny shifting issues now.I switch off the O.D. and the vibration is really bad... and when I switch the O.D. back on it feels like the tranny will has a hard time going back into 4th.I can also feel the shifting sometimes is not firm and the rpms will raise just a bit before it goes into the next gear up...so could that be bad solenoids? causing that issue?
thanks for the help
Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 02-02-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You're not checking your fluid right. Auto tranny fluid level check procedure is as follows:

Drive the truck around for approx 20 minutes to get the tranny fluid to normal operating temperature (If you just get home from a long highspeed highway drive, let the truck sit for 20 to 30 minutes before taking your reading).

Park the truck on a level surface, and with the truck running and your foot on the brake, slowly shift from 'P' to 'R' to 'N' to 'D' to '2' to 'L' then back up to '2' to 'D' to 'N' to 'R' to 'P', pausing for a second at each gear. Then, leave it in park, leave the truck running, and go out to check the level.

The cold marks on the dipstick are just to get you in the ballpark when you drain and fill your tranny. Final adjustment should always be made to get you into the "hot" range when the fluid is at normal operating temperature.

Start by getting the level correct in the tranny, then see if your shifting symptoms are still there.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 02-02-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:07 PM

GSGALLANT...thanks for the info and i will recheck my tranny fluid the way you posted and will update my results...
Old 02-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If it's cold out then, it might take longer than 20 minutes to get an accurate reading.

Also in future ignore your friend.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 PM

Marc...to defend what my co worked said to me this is what he was talking about and I was not clearly listening

Another problem that affects the operation of the torque converter is a condition called "transmission drainback." One-way check valves normally keep the torque converter full of fluid when the engine is shut off. But if the transmission input shaft bushings are worn, it can create a path for fluid to drain out of the converter back into the transmission. The loss of fluid from the torque converter can make the transmission feel as if it is slipping on initial take-off for about five to 10 seconds.
So does that make any sense?

so that was what he was saying I just twisted it a little because i was pre occupied with my tranny fluid level...