86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Toyota is SO freakin' TOUGH......

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Toyota is SO freakin' TOUGH......

My 4Runner is SO freakin TOUGH, that when I gave it a break from the sub-zero temperatures we've been having here and put it in a 60deg garage all night it got mad and broke down!

Seriously - It's been sitting out overnight and I start it in the pre-dawn hours where it's been below zero for the last week or two. Starts up no problem. Complains a tad, but doesn't refuse. So last night my wife was out with friends and I took the opportunity to put it in my 50-60deg heated garage for the night. Went to start it this morning - NOTHIN'!

Turns out I need a new positive battery lead as my clamp has gotten very loose. I reckon the quick change from sub-zero to 60 deg made it expand and loose contact.

Easy fix for me, but I did think it was a good time to say "My Toyyota is SO FREAKIN' TOUGH....."

How 'bout some more "SO FREAKIN' TOUGH" stories?

Last edited by GV27; 01-19-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spellin'
Old 01-19-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My Toyota's "so freakin' tough" it's never seen a trailer. Been busted every which way, and ALWAYS rolls home on it's own wheels. Not always under it's own power, but mostly.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-19-2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back before I did my engine swap, buried the thing in a puddle of mud. That's when I found out the air intake was right behind the driver's side headlight. Used the starter to pull me through the rest of the way. Pulled the air filter and rinsed it with a bottle of water, sopped up as much mud from the intake as I could. Ran like a Briggs and Stratton 5 hp lawnmower engine for a while. Could barely move in 1st gear. Drove it on the highway, slowly, mostly on the shoulder until BANG...suddenly, it came back to life. Got home, pulled the intake completely off from throttle body down and rinsed everything out. Never had a problem with it right up to the day I swapped the 3.4 in.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:52 PM

tough, is toyota!!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i broke my rear shaft joints (driffting her of course) so i dropped the rear shaft and locked the front hubs ha ha went out street racing with only fwd went off roading with it fwd pulled my buddys honda with it fwd and was like this for about 2 months and drove the heck out of her full pedal starts clutch drops everything and yet still got the front diff and cv's still there with about 200k on the clock and yes that was all with 31x10.5 bfg ats!!!!! talk about tuff there you go!!!!
Old 01-19-2008, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
i broke my rear shaft joints (driffting her of course) so i dropped the rear shaft and locked the front hubs ha ha went out street racing with only fwd went off roading with it fwd pulled my buddys honda with it fwd and was like this for about 2 months and drove the heck out of her full pedal starts clutch drops everything and yet still got the front diff and cv's still there with about 200k on the clock and yes that was all with 31x10.5 bfg ats!!!!! talk about tuff there you go!!!!
you drove it on the street in FWD? thats desperate lol but its sweet how the truck didnt break anything
Old 01-19-2008, 07:35 PM

Lil somethin' I made up:

Tons
Of
Years
Of
Taking
All

Old 01-19-2008, 08:30 PM

yeppers i dropped the rear shaft and put it in 4wd hi locked the front hubs and good to go but i was broke and didnt have money so yeah i had to but i beat the hell out of it trying to see if the front end will hold up to my standards lol
Old 01-19-2008, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there is a video of a 1st gen. getting

set on fire-
sunk in the ocean overnight (was lost, but rolled back up on the beach)
dropped a motor home on it (from 30+ feet)
hit it w/a wrecking ball
drove it through a house.
set on top of a building, and the building was blown up.

and much more stuff.

starts out tame, but gets really fun to watch.

the body was actually holding the chassy together !

at the end, the truck still worked and drove (though, after the blowing up, it didnt drive fast, or straight, the frame is now cracked, but it does still start and drive.

made from "topgear" and can be seen on yootube. where they made it a museum piece, a testament to the engineering and quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6v...eature=related =1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4K...eature=related =2a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDt...eature=related =2b

Last edited by idanity; 01-20-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:00 AM

Mines so tough I havent broken anything on it. Mind you I am still relatively new to wheeling but as I test my limits to what my truck can do I am absolutley blown away every time. The thing goes anywhere!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the link! I've never seen that vid posted on here before

I drove mine for about a year with a warped head and low coolant. It never complained.

Rob
Old 01-20-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah i love that video, my mouth was open half the time.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
your welcome.

my friend actually found that for me, when i just bought my 1st toyota truck..

to add to the toyota legend.

heres my cellicas history.

81 cellica, =poc.
22r engine =stellar machine

i cut off the roof, and made it a cabrio (w/hardtop)
1st, when i cut the roof, it started to sag, and the doors wouldnt close (later i found out what uni-body meant )
took it to Mexico, w/an ATV in the back, and my g.f and best friend.
made it to the borders gas station (it was getting hot, so i decided to check the oil level. (i recently added slick-50 for the trip)

it was so low, i didnt see any oil

i bought 4 quarts of oil and poured it all in.
than, when i checked the dipstick again, well, it was coated.
but i was standing in a big puddle of oil

upon looking, i noticed my oil pan had a dime size hole in it w/cracks (i of course cut the springs on this car before the road trip, so it looked cooler and handled better).
so we scrounged up a big bolt to shove in it, w/putty that fell off.

it would not hold oil at all.
and i drove half way through arizona (in summer) w/out any oil.

i only paid 600 for the car a year before, so i thought, hey, "IF" we make it to rockypoint, well be lucky. and if not, we can obviosely get a ride w/anyone else (there are always hundreds of kids going there during the summer break).

i drove it not only to rocky point, but after the weekend, drove it back.
also.
the wheels were making these weird noises, (the lugs were falling off) and being the idiot kid i was, didnt have a tire iron. (i tightened up the lugs w/my hands, and had to keep the stereo low, so we could all listen to any more clanking from wheels falling off (yes, i lost a few bolts too)

i think someone tried to steel my wheels, b/c they were alloy, but still, were stock oem. (go figure why they didnt)
the heater worked great, but my g.f was crying the whole way, b/c it blasted out really hot air, AND it was about 120 degrees outside. (and we were in direct sunlight).
we kept the speed down, and it lost a lot of power.
kept going slower and slower.
i had to pull off the freeway, and start using access roads

but it made it back to phoenix, where it died right in the projects. and only 20 miles from my apt.

was able to reclaim it, and swap in another engine.
but, it started up, after it sat for a few days,
it would barely drive, but it did drive. and would even get up to 60mph. (although very slow)
sold it to a friend (who never paid me) and he wrecked it 3 (or more) times.
not sure what happened to that car, but it was a miracle it lasted as long as it did. especially the "way" i drive.

but all the hell that car took, it was one of my favorites and i spent so many grand summer nights under the desert skies w/that thing.

rear wheel drive, and literally went everywhere my truck does today. (just not as fast or easy)
Old 01-20-2008, 10:27 PM

my god!!!!!!!!!! ok you win lol
Old 01-20-2008, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, I can contribute to this one twice...

LAST YEAR:
HG blew. Didn't know it yet. All I knew was it was running like crap and losing coolant. Drove ti to school the next day (15 miles) and back. Then to work the day after that. Figured out what it was. Had my Toyota mechanic friend slap on some new gaskets, runs like a champ.

4 MONTHS AGO:
Sister calls me saying that her 95 Accord took a crap on the highway and she needed it towed home. I got the car trailer and headed that way. Also had NO rear brakes at the time, nor is my truck equipped with trailer brakes. So, I towed a 95 Honda Accord on a car dolly in a 92 3.0 Truck on 33x12.50 stock gears and no rear brakes. Pretty proud of the girl after that stunt. Btw the Accord was out of gas. Nice.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:27 AM

Thanks....this is some of the funniest stuff on here.....awesome!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
smoked my auto in my old 90 4runner, drove it as an "around town" truck for about 5 months with just 1st gear, still kept goin, before i got rid of it, i pulled the motor, tore it down to find there was no oil in the filter, oil pump didnt work, the front of the crank was cracked, but she was still runing and driving under her own power
Old 01-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Some really great (and scary) stories here... I ran my 87 as a FWD for about two mos. one time while I tried to find a shop to balance my rear shaft.
I was rear ended by a ford aerostar minivan one time... net cost... him whole new front clip [basically a right-off]... me two bumper mounting bolts ($2.50 at the dealer w/tax] [cop at reporting centre was amazed]...
I hit a deer once... bambi = muerte, me = new front bumper and grill [the stock bumper on the 87 was really weak]....
Toyota builds 'im tough...
Old 01-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Mine Started at -40 with out being plugged in, although when i closed my drivers door, it cracked the side mirror.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:57 PM

The PO never changed the oil never change the oil in the 90K he owned before the 22re locked. and last night some f'ing kid pushed a shopping cart when i was doing about 35 and i hit it doing about 30, shattered the cart with no damage to the front of my runner.