Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

my snorkel a how do kinda thing for 104 bucks ***56K warning***

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my snorkel a how do kinda thing for 104 bucks ***56K warning***

Ok as i said to a few of you guys and i guess got your att very quickly. Here you want a snorkel that can really take some trees and rocks but wanna only spend about 100 if that bucks?? Here you go, all wrote down and ready to go. First you need to go online and look up ebay, oh yes the black market store, look up a turbo honda intercooling pipes no matter what color or anything but heres the sizes 3in or 2.5 in dia (2.5in works the best) two straight pipes about 2 feet long, and a 45° elbow thats it about 35 bucks!! there ok go to home depot and go to the potty isle, look at the rubber connectors, get 3in to 3in or 2.5 to 2.5 easy right?? there about 3-5 bucks each. ok you need 3 of them each side of the elbow make sense right? I will tell you what the 3rd is for a little later in this little finger it out paper. ok now look at a 3in or 2.5 90 about 2-4 bucks only need one!!! and a little tiny 3in or 2.5 dia pvc pipe about 6in long 2-3 bucks there ok now stop at your autozone buy a air flow connector it bolts to your air flow thingy and makes it a 3in air filter size ok now ..........

unbolt that airbox but it aside (where you wont run it over later) and MARK the holes for your toyota air flow meter. now go drill it out on the air flow thingy you got from autozone. ok put the gasket it comes with on then the connector and bolt it on. yay, your almost done now the fun part...

unbolt that fender. see that little hole there where the wires come through right by the air box well were it use to be??? take a saws-all i know you all should have one. cut that baby open about a 4in hole should work DONT CUT THE WIRES!! ok now on to more fun.........

take that fender and someone that will hold it for you. (not someone that wont like i did trust me you get a really bad hole) now at the way back your going to cut a L shape hole. sounds funny right? i know (pics will show you everything) ok............

take that pvc pipe and put it on that connector with a 3in to 3in or 2.5 to 2.5in dia connector. now cut to fit, because all trucks are different so i wont tell you the size. ok take that rubber 90° elbow there and slap it on there. (not to hard they dont like that) don't forget the clamps! ok take that intercooler pipe straight one, and get her to fit yay looking good buddy now get the 45° elbow slap her on there with a rubber connector now it should be about ¼ of the way up your windshield right???? ok take that last straight pipe and put her to work right on top of that 45° elbow. ok take two of the hangers you got and put one in the middle of the (wow hands are hurting here) straight pipe under the fender, and one about half way up the other straight pipe on the window, screw it into the inside of the door jamb USE 1IN SCREWS!!!!! ok your almost done!!

ok bolt that thing you call a fender right back on. should fit if not, nice cut but do it again so it fits. ok get that air filter out and slap her right on top. hey hey looks like a very cool kit how much was that?? now lets see

1)ebay pipes $25-$30
2)3 3in connectors $20
3)pvc pipe $2-$3
4)90 rubber elbow $3-$4
5)hangers .99¢-$2
6)air filter $10-$300
7)air flow add $10-$15
8)1in screws $1-$3 (small box)
lets add this up here, where at 104 bucks, if you buy all the high priced stuff and a $25 air filter.

so if theres anything i missed or anything you would like to add let me know. in summer when i reinstall her ill post up the install pics on how to do this step by step with pics right on this thread!

for all you that say water is bad i say ha ha what does steam do?? clean right so a little water will clean out the inside as long as your not driving all the way under water you should be fine********************** anyways i've drove her in heavy rain like this and no problems!! but** if you wanna get even better get a 3in dryer hose the bendable metal ones, and crack your back window open by the drivers door. clamp that baby on there and suck in air from the inside of your cab, just tape up or something over that window so nothing gets in, ie water and people hope this made everyones day, oh and mine only cost me about 35 bucks to do!!!

side shot of the air filter and the pipe!!

front shot of pipe and air filter

close shot of side again

under hood so you can kinda see the hole cut so make the pipes go on the outside of engine bay

hole in fender this is what it looks like when your buddy don't hold it right

the fender view of the big hole

the hole by the air filter box

heres what she looks like all together.....

and a few of the close ups of it so you know what to look for

the pvc pipe

the 45° elbow

the hanger just so you know what they look like

so there you all go have fun and hope this is as easy as it can be shown!!

****NOT HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR WATER DAMAGE DO TO ANYTHING WET OR ANYTHING GETTING INTO YOUR MOTOR THIS IS ONLY A HOW TO NOT A KIT OR ANYTHING OF THAT MATER THIS IS A DO AT YOUR OWN RISK KIND OF THING THANKS FOR LOOKING

Last edited by just a 22re; 01-25-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: my spelling thanks 90runner
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM

ok im going out right now to get the pics of the unit itself so you all can see what it looks like NOT INSTALLED but then you can all see how it goes together and make one your self hope this makes it a little easier to do ok be back very soon and ill add them to the first post thanks all for looking and if anyone needs any help just pm me and give me a call ill walk you right though this fun time!!!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
puntuation would make it easier to read. i cant follow the jumble of words
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM

yeah editing coming shortly sorry about that as my hands got tired
Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont use PVC pipe, when it gets cold its brittle. ABS..
Old 01-25-2008, 09:20 PM

i only use this in the summer never in the winter and this is why thanks for the pointer CJM
Old 08-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good idea but if you dont live in cold weather you can make a home made snorkel for under 40 bucks. go to auto zone or other shop and buy about 4 feet of flex hose (the hose you use to put on your tail pipe to put the fumes outside) now take off the intake hose from your airfilter box and cut it in half, use the side that attached to the air box, get some contact cement and glue it onto the flex pipe and put it back into the air box and glue it there if you want a water tight seal. now the fun part is cutting a hole in the fender so the hose will come out at the right angle to follow the fender up to the windshield to the roof. get some 3in hose clamps, drill a small hole so you can screw it onto the truck (i used about 4). sorry about not having pics, i forgot to take pictures of it maybe i can find some to show you what i mean. now once you have the hoes clamped down take the other part of the intake hoes you cut in half and glue it to the other end of the hose pointing down so it doesn't catch the rain, and VOILA you have a 30-40 dollar snorkle.(it actually cost me less since a lot of items in mexico are cheaper)

Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and not one pic of the cone filter surrounded by anything to keep the water out.
...and a rusted-water-colored filter at that.