Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My new '92 Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new '92 Pickup

Here are some pics of the '92 I picked up about a month ago. Body and frame are near perfect, some minor rust on the control arms and up underneath the body on some cross members, but nothing compared to the 91 Runner I just got rid of.

The rear diff is rusted bad, as are the backing plates and rear drums, the rear diff breather fell off in my hand when I touched it, but everything else is real nice for a 17 year old rig. Only 96K miles on it. It was a spare car for an NYPD detective, until he retired and wanted some more room and cash.

It's got the crappy gauges since it's not SR5, but the guy got A/C with it at least, and better gauges can be added easily. I put the BFG's and Outlaw II's on it. It had stock rims and some regular tires on it.

Figured I'd show it off to some people who don't think of it as just some old pickup truck....like my wife does, haha:

Last edited by mmcpeck; 09-16-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice lookin rig!!! and that badboys got some low miles on it. whats the plans?
Old 09-16-2009, 08:27 AM

Haha, well the plan at the moment is to get some working front brakes on it so I can pass NY state isnpection and not be driving around illegally.

I have another post knocking around here about the front calipers. The pass side one has a seized piston and basically no pad, so I have metal scraping against the rotor. So as of right now this weekend's plans will be to get new rotors, calipers and pads on it.

I got the rims and tires I wanted on there. So next will probably be an OME kit for the rear suspension, and then take it from there.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you get it off ebay. looks like one i saw on there a while back. looks great btw.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Good find man, she looks clean...
So you have a wee bit of cancer underneath...o well that's workable.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 AM

It looks like its had some body work on it. The front right fender looks like it is a shade different color than the reast of the truck. I do think thouhg it is a very nice looking truck for a 92. Very very nice find!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM

No I didn't get it off Ebay, I did see a few on there though and bid on a few, one in MD and one in GA. I had been looking for like 4 months for a nice one, and saw a lot of crap and a lot of nice ones too, but most of the nice ones were out of my price range. I was spending weekends driving to North Jersey and Philly and Atlantic City, sitting on craigslist and ebay until 3am, my wife was getting just about fed up with me.

Then one day I just hopped on craigslist for the hell of it in the middle of the afternoon and saw this thing there. It was right by me in the Brooklyn/Queens area and it was the only one I had seen in decent shape that wasn't like at least 50 or 60 miles away, or more. Called the guy up and left work early to go look at it. Drove it around, and on the beach, and it drove great and I picked it up right there, I'd had enough of looking and wasn't gonna find a better one in my price range, picked it up for $3,600, I think the guy could have sold it for $5K or more in this condition. The guy was a retired NYPD detective and bought a new truck when he retired, so he was selling this one.

There has been some body work done, I think that right front fender has been painted and I know the driver door was banged up and repaired, the guy told me he cracked that door up and had it fixed. He also has the decals wet sanded off, which is good because I hate the decals and now I don't have to deal with them.

It runs great and drives great. A/C blows ice cold and the 4WD works great on the beach.

A couple of things I gotta do right off are the front brakes, gonna completely re-do them this weekend. Gotta get some kind of hose on the rear diff breather stub, it's way too rusty to attempt replacing, so I think something like 3/8" vaccuum hose will do it. Then I'm gonna grind all the rust off the rear diff and paint it along with any other rust up underneath. Gotta put the SR5 gauges in it and gonna do the ISR mod eventually.

Also gotta try and get my hands on some bucket seats, the 60/40 split bench is horrible, probably the most uncomfortable thing I have ever sat in, maybe because it's 17 years old, but it's like I'm sinking down into it. My '91 Runner buckets were super comfortable.

Any other kinds of buckets that will fit besides the same generation Runner's?
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 PM

i was also trying to get one from ga. and md. the one in ga. was black and super clean ext. cab. the one in md. was burgundy and looked awesome. I wanted both but each went out of my price range.