Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

my massyfurgeson gray under $50 paint job

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
my massyfurgeson gray under $50 paint job

well my paint was in really poor shape, clear coat was gone off the hood the roof and the top of the bedsides i didn't do any of the body work this paint job is mostly just to make it look better for now without spending a lot of time i don't have. i cleaned the truck hit it with some 800 grit sandpaper wiped it with denatured alcohol masked everything off and then painted it with tractor paint magic brand in massyfurgeson gray. i was actually really impressed with the paint, it layed different than automotive paint but came out really good other than some real minor orange peel all the flaws in it are from underneath the paint. we will see how it holds up if it holds up good i might use this same paint when i get around to doing all my body work

before pictures

Old 02-15-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
color looks great, nice work

wanna do mine?
Old 02-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Does look good. Nicley done!

Also love the "truck trash" Haha.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like it. It has almost a military look to it now.

How did you deal with painting around the rubber seals around the windows? That was the biggest PITA I encountered when I painted my truck with Rustoleum gloss white.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM

i ran a strip of masking tape overlapping past the edge of the rubber seals around the window then rubbed them down and ran a razor blade around the outer edge of the seal and then lifted off the area that overlapped onto where i was going to paint. it does have a little bit of a military look to it, in the right light it almost looks olive drab green...lol its close enough to the factory color though the door jams and opening the gas cap cover dose not catch your eye at all that its a different color.

LOL on the "truck trash" the worst thing was pulling it all out to paint the bed and then having to put it all back in, if i was smart i should have put some of it away in the garbage can...lol all the snow was finally gone outta the back of the truck a couple weeks ago found things in there i didn't even know i had.

when i bought the paint they had some in spray cans as well so if i ever need to do any touch up i can just go buy a spray can of the same paint. i dont know if the spray cans are the same quality as the stuff in the gallons. i might go buy some in black and repaint the bumper and roll bars as they now look a bit rough compared to the rest of the truck. ill probably try out the spray cans for that.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:39 PM

That looks really good. Only thing I would change is the mirrors.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM

i like it. im tryin to get my 85 4runner one color by spring. its gotten too cold in RI to do any more body work.

is that a for real pre runner? dint know they were made those years.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 PM

its a 89 toyota 2wd lifted with 31's so it is a 2wd in a 4wd stance but it wasn't manufactured that way, when i first got it in stock height looked like a low rider. my goal is some more lift and 33's or if i come across a good deal on a early 80's rolling chassis or a beat up truck with good trans transference and axles ill sas this truck. but for a 2wd this truck goes places some would hesitate to go in 4wd
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM

under $50 good job man looks good
Old 02-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I am a sucker for a cheap paint job that looks good
but those ranger wheels need to go
Old 02-16-2011, 05:51 AM

Do you have any close ups of the paint? Id like to see how smooth the paint is and how clean the reflections are. Also where do you buy this type of paint? Anyways it looks great!
Old 02-16-2011, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
its a 89 toyota 2wd lifted with 31's so it is a 2wd in a 4wd stance but it wasn't manufactured that way, when i first got it in stock height looked like a low rider. my goal is some more lift and 33's or if i come across a good deal on a early 80's rolling chassis or a beat up truck with good trans transference and axles ill sas this truck. but for a 2wd this truck goes places some would hesitate to go in 4wd
What did you go with for your lift? I can't tell but did you do much chopping to stop the 31s from rubbing?

Paint job looks great.

Last edited by Magnusian; 02-16-2011 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 AM

i can probably take some close up pics in a little bit, the reflection isnt the clearest, but this is a single stage paint, they recommend not using a clear coat, also if i were to wet sand and buff it out im sure it would be a lot clearer. the cost of the paint was just over 30 dollars for a gallon and then the catilist and hardener was another few dollars. I bought it at a local farm and fleet store called running's farm and fleet. but i will get some close up shots for you in a little while.

for the lift i have a 3 inch body lift ball joint spacers lo pro bump stops and t-bars cranked in the back i have add a leafs to bring the rear back up to the front, i had to massage the bottom rear corner of the fender with a bfh just a little bit to get rid of some minor rubbing when on the breaks turning into parking lots. i think with some fiberglass fenders i could clear 33's now but when i decide whether or not im ever going to sas it or not. if not then im going to put in some 3 inch lift spindles probably drop an inch off the body lit and put 63" chevys in the back. the truck dosent ride the best in its current configuration, sorta reminds me of riding in a old 1 ton ford. it does preform surprisingly well though.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, I'm waiting on some fabtech UCAs and some new torsions for the front and for the rear I've the short shackles Marlin Crawler makes (which is 1.5" of lift iirc), LOA conversion, and the fabtech UCAs come with AALs for the rear but I'm not sure if I'll use them.

Speaking of which, I should probably call National and ask them what's taking so long.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ezrider_92356
Yeah but does it come out of them? seriously it looks much better now
Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM

lol runnerc2 it would defently go further 4wd but it goes places it shouldent only being 2wd, gets me to my favorite back woods fishing spots threw flooded roads ruts fallen trees mud sand. a year or two ago i did some work about 50 miles from home was lightly snowing when i left to head home at around 1am there was 10 inches of snow on the road with some 2ft drifts and it got me home without any issues i would have felt better with some chains on the back or if i had driven my 4wd truck but the point is i didn't get stuck and made it home safe. it never ceases to amaze me what this truck will make it threw without being 4wd.

what makes me want to just lift a little more and stay 2wd is the truck gets great fuel millage (around 22-23mpg) i use it for running around town to save on fuel vrs driving my 02 2500hd 4wd with a 8.1L and alison trans. im sure the extra weight of sas and 4wd would hurt my millage. and it gets me everywhere i want it to go as it is.

reasons to sas it, it would be cool, would be better for driving in the snow, would go everywhere i wanted it to go with less effort.

iv got more pictures uploading as i type this
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Magnusian cant wait to see pics of your truck when your done, and if you decide you dont like them uca's ill take them off your hands ;-)
Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM

i bought some black in a spray can for the bumper roll bar and mirrors

got bored waiting for paint to dry so i decided to cross up my 2wd

the color difference between this and the factory paint

Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM

i learned using the paint in the can that 1 tack coat and then one heavy coat came out alot better, when using the gun to pain the rest i put a light coat on and two meadum coats this stuff seems to like to be applied heavy.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:48 PM

It looks alot better than I though up close

Quick Reply: my massyfurgeson gray under $50 paint job