Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My low idle/no idle TPS story (good ending)

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My low idle/no idle TPS story (good ending)

Out of the blue, I started having the low idle/stalling problem. After some research, I tried a few things including tests of: TPS, temp sensor, air flow meter and vacuum leaks. I didn't have the equipment or motivation to check the other things like EGR.

At first I suspected the TPS was to blame since I was couldn't get all of the test ranges to spec. I went so far as to buy a new one. After having the same problems adjusting the new one and testing it on the vehicle, I determined that it wasn't the problem. Unfortunately, Toyota said I can't return an electrical part. That's fine because it said so on the receipt and I can understand why they have the policy.

The parts guy, who I'm familiar with, went and checked with his boss who generously offered to credit me the price of the TPS toward repair if I brought it in to their shop, which I planned on doing anyway. Plus, I got to keep the part since they can't do anything with it!

I was kind of blown away and felt a little guilty for accepting their offer. But of course I accepted and brought my truck in. I wasn't able to talk with the tech since I picked it up after the shop closed, but it was fixed and running fine. From what the service rep noted, all they did was clean carbon off of the idle screw and clean the temp sensor noting that it had moisture inside the connector (which was probably from me washing all of the antifreeze off the engine that had spilled during the TPS removal). They also checked both timing and EGR which were OK.

Total cost for the repair was just the standard diagnostic fee of $108. Offset by the credit they gave me, I only paid the difference of 6 bucks.

This isn't the first time they have given me special consideration and, although I have a long standing relationship with them, I would hope they treat everyone else just as well.

Truck runs great again and I am going to replace the temp sensor when I get around to it, just in case (even though I tested it as OK).

See, sometimes there are happy endings!

PS: Anyone need to buy a new TPS???????

Last edited by natty; 01-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.