Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is my head gasket blown?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Is my head gasket blown?

I went to do some repairs on my '88 4x2 today I noticed a small stream of coolant running down the exhaust side of the engine. It appears to be coming from the head gasket. I remember seeing the fluid about 1000 miles ago and I thought it was oil from the valve cover, but the sun was hitting it at just the right angle today and I noticed it was accumulating into a small green puddle near the base of the dipstick .

The truck seems to run fine and has no other symptoms of a blown head gasket. Does this mean the gasket is going to blow soon? Is there a chance I could just tighten the head bolts and keep it from blowing completely? Why would it blow on just the outside and not the inside?

Last edited by the_supernerd; 06-26-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm sounds a lot like mine...which does have HG issues. I also have the pool by the dip stick. I notice white steam on cold winter mornings coming out the the exaust which you probably never get in CA. But I also have to keep topping up my coolant. And my oil seems runny to me, but still clear.

I also bought it like that without knowing what I was doing at the time, so it has been really reliable for the past year...but I feel it's time is coming sooner then later.

Can anyone also answer me this, I changed my plugs recently which were about 3 maybe 4 months old and all cept one were covered in an orange residue. Any idea what that means?
The #4 has it threads repaired and still had some silver looking grease in and around the plug hole, it came out really oily but seems like it was from the repair.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:44 AM

i had a coolent stream at the back of my motor in my old truck. just around the #4 cylinder was always wet on the drivers side. it stayed that way for about 2 months, the the rest of the gasket blew, i started noticing puffs of steam every time i shifted. and it only got worse from there. when i took it apart i found the #4 piston and chamber had been steam cleaned.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by the_supernerd
I went to do some repairs on my '88 4x2 today I noticed a small stream of coolant running down the exhaust side of the engine. It appears to be coming from the head gasket. I remember seeing the fluid about 1000 miles ago and I thought it was oil from the valve cover, but the sun was hitting it at just the right angle today and I noticed it was accumulating into a small green puddle near the base of the dipstick .

The truck seems to run fine and has no other symptoms of a blown head gasket. Does this mean the gasket is going to blow soon? Is there a chance I could just tighten the head bolts and keep it from blowing completely? Why would it blow on just the outside and not the inside?
Yes, it sounds like you have an externally leaking headgasket. It may or may not start leaking internally, but if you let it go, you can count on it. Tightening the head bolts may cause more problems than it cures, so I wouldn't do that.

Replace the headgasket.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like there is no way around having to do the head gasket.

Originally Posted by toyotatom93
Hmmm sounds a lot like mine...which does have HG issues. I also have the pool by the dip stick. I notice white steam on cold winter mornings coming out the the exaust which you probably never get in CA. But I also have to keep topping up my coolant. And my oil seems runny to me, but still clear.

I also bought it like that without knowing what I was doing at the time, so it has been really reliable for the past year...but I feel it's time is coming sooner then later.

Can anyone also answer me this, I changed my plugs recently which were about 3 maybe 4 months old and all cept one were covered in an orange residue. Any idea what that means?
The #4 has it threads repaired and still had some silver looking grease in and around the plug hole, it came out really oily but seems like it was from the repair.
It gets cold enough here for steam to come out of the exhaust, and I did notice that there seemed to be a lot more steam coming out of this truck than other vehicles I have owned. That orange residue on your plugs is probably just anti-sieze. Is it on the threads or the electrode?
Old 06-29-2008, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this out.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...e-pics-116036/

I had a similar problem. I drained my coolant and used a Copper Block Weld -type product before refilling with new coolant. It went a few thousand miles without a drop, then after the winter, it began to seep out just a bit again, but MUCH less than before.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
also check to see if the coolant pipe that attaches to the timing cover is leaking.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by the_supernerd
That orange residue on your plugs is probably just anti-sieze. Is it on the threads or the electrode?
It was on the electrode. Pretty sure it wasent anti seize, it was more like rust / ash powder heavily coated. It was on pretty thick.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That sounds like a hot burning cylinder.... burning some water/coolant.