86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My First Post: Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Post: Clutch Noise

Hello yotatech. I've been looking around on the site for various diagnosis of my "new" 1986 toyota pickup with 22r engine. There really is a wealth of information on this site and I can't thank you all enough.

I searched for this problem I've been having various ways but because it's a sound it's kind of difficult to find answers to it as everyone thinks something sounds a different way.

Anyhow, when I accelerate in any gear it sounds like someone is putting coins in a vending machine. That metallic rattling noise. But the thing is the truck goes in to gear just fine, it accelerates just fine, and nothing other than a weird noise is happening. The noise only happens when I'm accelerating.

I don't know anything about the relationship between mechanics and engines so please excuse me. Could this have anything to do with the radiator? It almost sounds like bubbles being forced through pipes as well. Weird sound.

My mechanic friend thinks that one of the springs in the clutch probably snapped and is rattling around in there and the clutch is due for a replace. What do you think?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First off, a noise is very hard to describe over the internet. Videos help a lot.

A gurggling noise behind the dash would be low coolant indicator (air gurgling through your heater core).

A rattling noise can be a number of things. Crawl under the truck and see.
I had a rattle when I first got my truck, turned out the be an exhaust hanger rattling against the exhaust pipe. I cut it off and no more rattle.
A common problem with the 22re is that the exhaust clamp near the header comes loose and rattles away on the exhaust. Check there. A $0.25 pipe clamp might solve it.
If you can/won't pay anyone to look at it, you best be prepared to crawl under your truck and fix it yourself.
Old 01-16-2014, 07:08 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Are you sure it's not engine pinging (knocking)? Pinging sounds a lot like what you describe, and it generally only happens on acceleration. If it's pinging, that's potentially destructive to the engine (holes in pistons, blown head gasket, that sort of thing), so have someone rule that out before you drive it much more.

Try running some high octane fuel and/or retarding the timing as an experiment to see if it changes. Not a long-term fix but might help with the diagnosis.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:00 AM

I should also add that the sound only happens at low RPM. Not during acceleration on the highway.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:11 AM
RJR

Low rpm, full throttle is the most likely scenario for pinging. Pinging typically sounds like a rattling marble in a pop can. Is that anything like what you're hearing?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 AM

Yes that's kind of what it sounds like. I will try to get a recording of the noise.

The sound happens only some of the time too. And when it does happen it happens when I'm shifting gears, before I apply the gas, and then after i apply the gas.

Does that make sense?
Old 01-16-2014, 08:39 AM
RJR

Pinging wouldn't normally happen before you apply the gas. Sounds like something else may be going on. It may just be a loose bracket or part somewhere, that resonates at low engine speeds.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 AM

Thanks RJR,

I'll still try to get a video of the noise. It doesn't sound like anything is loose. It really sounds like something rattling around in the clutch, but again I don't know enough about cars to know if that's even possible. My assumption is that if there was something in the clutch that was loose, then it should affect the way the truck engages.

Is that a safe assumption?

That assumption being made, it goes in and out of gear just fine, and the clutch engages just fine as well.

--Joe