86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my first accident...89 pickup questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my first accident...89 pickup questions

Today I was in my first accident, not of my fault. I was making a left turn into my neighborhood the same time someone was making a left from a stop light. I had the right of way and he hit my in my driver's door/bed/rear wheel.

The driver's door closes, but the bottom part of the cab was bent upward so I have to slam it to get it closed. I can probably bang it down with a hammer and fix it myself, but I'd rather it be fixed professionally.

The dent in the bed I I can probably just bend back into the basic shape. But I'm more concerned about the rear wheel. The rim was hit and looks a little dented, but the wheel rolls fine. I'm worried the wheel bearing might have been damaged.

What's the typical cost of replacing the wheel bearing and pulling a few dents? The dent in the door area is only about the size of a dollar bill and the dent in the bed is about the size of a basketball. Do you guys think the insurance company will "total" the truck? If so, what should I expect for a payment?

What else might have been damaged with someone hitting the front half of my rear wheel? Should I worry about uneven tire wear?

Last edited by DupermanDave; 10-06-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Your looking around 250 at most shops for a wheel bearing.... You could do it in a few hours if your have the tools...

Id be suprised if they totaled the truck for that kinda minor damage.. But again, anything is possible. U could find a shop to fix it up for around 500 bucks I would Imagine...
Old 10-06-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Valve clatter
I think Your looking around 250 at most shops for a wheel bearing.... You could do it in a few hours if your have the tools...

Id be suprised if they totaled the truck for that kinda minor damage.. But again, anything is possible. U could find a shop to fix it up for around 500 bucks I would Imagine...
The wheel bearing I'll definitely do myself. And I'll be looking for new rims too. So those will all be thrown together over a weekend. I'll just need to wait for insurance money to pay for this.

In the meantime, should I worry about a bad bearing and my tire wobbling and causing uneven wear? I didnt see any blatant wobble of the wheel when I drove, so I'd guess it's fine. The guy only hit my at maybe 10 mph. He just nudged me.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
jack it up and (it would be ideal if you had a dial indicator and magnetic base...but Ill assume you dont) tape a pencil to the top of a jackstand....you want the pencil to touch the rim, and as you rotate the wheel...watch the tip of the pencil in relation to the wheel and check for run out.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldnt drive for very long with it the way it is, but I woudnt worry to mcuh for acouple weeks of light to moderate driviing..
Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Valve clatter
I wouldnt drive for very long with it the way it is, but I woudnt worry to mcuh for acouple weeks of light to moderate driviing..
That's about all I'll do. No major driving until I can get it fixed.

If the wheel is off center/off base, what would cause that? The bearing? Or are there other parts I need to worry about?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:00 AM

Something is up with the exhaust system too, even though that area was untouched. I think the sudden jarring of the truck caused something to break loose. It's ticking really loud, almost like an exhaust leak.