Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My Far From Future 4runner Project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Far From Future 4runner Project.

Well guys, saving up starts now for my future project. I have many many many ideas for this, but here goes my story/ plans for my truck.

I have a 1995 Toyota 4runner with the dog 3vze engine. Unfortunately this truck is indeed 2wd, and it is the only thing I don't like about it. As I near 200,000 miles, I am planning on several things. They are:
-3.4L engine swap (from the newer 3rd generation 4runners)
-2wd-4wd conversion (have a few options here...)
-Rear leaf-springs
-Finally... an SAS lift!

So, starting with the 2wd-4wd conversion. I have been searching endlessly and have had some help from fellow yotatechers, offroad solutions, and mostly google.

I have 2 options for this. Either way involves a new costly transmission and a transfer case (which powers the front axle and goodies). My first option involves taking a 4wd transmission and transfer case from a 2nd gen and fitting it in for the 3.4 swap. I like this option because it will be more user friendly to put in I hope, and second I believe I will be better off when doing the 3.4 swap.
The second option includes taking the 3.4L 3rd generation engine, and putting it in the tranny and transfer case from that engine. pretty much making all the mechanics from a 3rd gen. This is my grey area, and I am fearful to venture into this dark side haha.

Sadly, I am very limited with garage space, mechanical skills, and tools (no welding ) What my plans to start are as follows. I want to get a solid axle form the 1st gens and rebuild it. With an e-locker and everything. The whole shibang. Going to need mega help on this. I am going to attempt the swap myself with my girlfriend probably. It may not come for a while, but at least I can plan ahead and have every bit of knowledge I can find.

Probably going to work side by side with either my local shop or with a professional when it gets deep. I will take notes and you guys should at the end of this, have every single bit of information there is about doing this. So no one will be afraid. I take excellent notes and have been told I explain everything pretty well in depth. Thanks to Elvota for giving me props, confidence, information, and even a contact to a professional to help when things get ugly.

So, with that being said, does anyone wanna chime in with some ideas/ advice for me? I have no problem sourcing a 3.4 at the moment, and my axle. Both are costly as well as the new tranny and t-case. I figure I will get the axle for now because it is the cheapest, and easiest to work on. Plus, I want to put more miles on my 3.0 before I give up on it. I will start on how to take apart and rebuild this axle. Give me some time guys, I am not as resourceful as some of you.

Prices include but are not exact:
-3.4: approx~ 1500-2000 dollars
-SAS axle: probably a good 3-4 hundred with shipping.
-Tranny and t-case from a 2nd gen 4x4: Yikes, I have no idea...
-Kits and harnesses: Working on prices...

Last edited by infiltrator; 02-24-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a quick note - If you plan on dropping in a 3rd gen tranny and t-case you will not be able to run a toyota truck solid front axle ( not sure about other models). The 3rd gen runners and 4th gen trucks all swiched to drivers side drop.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I have been told this, so that is why I am most likely going to go with the swap from the 2nd gen as far as t-case and tranny are concerned...

Sometimes I want to shoot my father in the leg for getting this 2wd truck. I thank him for how good he took care of it, but it would just be 100x easier if it were already 4x4. But, back then we could barely get a loan for the truck. Times were tough...

I need to find out the differences between 2wd and 4wd as far as how everything is layed out underneith for me...

This has become my new passion... or maybe its an obsession. Either way, I need to finish school already!!! I hate college lol. Sucks that I am majoring in Computer Science because that doesn't help my dream in fixing my 4runner up in the least lol.