Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My exhaust smells like firecrackers

Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
My exhaust smells like firecrackers?

Hey guys I recently installed some flamethrower injectors, install was simple no issues, cleaned the manifold while it was out put it back together fired right up good to go. Well when it's first started it smells fine but after it warms up it has a really strong smell like burning firecrackers or sulfer I guess you could say.

Any ideas? It didn't smell this way before the injectors so I'm not sure if something isn't adjusting the fuel difference or the ecu isn't compensating for the change.

Anyway this is on a 22re.

Thanks for any ideas

Disco.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 09-06-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your exhaust is getting fried. Or the cat maybe?
Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Don't think so just got a new cat and exhaust was done when I got the truck a couple years ago.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The flamethrowers flow more, and if you're running too rich, you're not burning all your fuel. Your cat will try to burn that fuel for you. Too much fuel melts your cat's internals...
Old 09-06-2013, 07:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^-- Indeed.

The smell is of raw fuel entering the catalytic converter. At this stage however... its likely the catalytic converter is damaged.

Verify proper operation of injectors.

Possible internal fuel leaks...?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM

So the ecu is suppose to figure this out or no? I know I have no way of adjusting anything unless I am mistaken? The truck runs wonderful way better idle, mileage seems to be better but I haven't tested it yet. I know what rich exhaust smells like and it seems to be a different smell, hmmm well I'm taking it to my friend that has a shop to test it monday, I will post what the findings are
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you are smelling may very well be just the insides of your cat burning due to a rich condition as mentioned earlier.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:49 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
So the ecu is suppose to figure this out or no? I know I have no way of adjusting anything unless I am mistaken? The truck runs wonderful way better idle, mileage seems to be better but I haven't tested it yet. I know what rich exhaust smells like and it seems to be a different smell, hmmm well I'm taking it to my friend that has a shop to test it monday, I will post what the findings are
Yes, the ECU is supposed to figure it out, but if you have bad spark (not fully igniting fuel) and/or a bad 02 sensor (these don't throw codes until completely failed..., I'd recommend every 30k tuneup) the ECM can't properly adjust as it's not getting all the info and/or the accurate info it needs to do so.

So to reiterate, I'd guess you definitely have an 02 sensor issue (buy aftermarket denso w/ connector as specified for your vehicle -- these are the same the stealership sells for double the price). A spark issue is also likely, but not certain. Check cap and rotor, distributor sensors, ignitor sensors, wire resistance, and spark plugs... The only other item to cause running so rich (outside of fuel system component failure) would be air, and FSM has specs for checking those and cleaning your throttle body too...

Last edited by RSR; 09-07-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:21 PM

New denso o2, new cap wires plugs, cleaned the throttle body when I put the injectors in.

I will have my buddy test everything, maybe a defective o2? I don't know but it smells bad enough to cause me issues emissions time so I need to figure something out

Cool guys thanks for the responses, I will post what's up when I get it figured out
Old 09-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Not sure what causing the smell, but sounds like several are giving some great advice. This isnt/shouldnt be a problem, but seems like alot that installed the Flamethrowers had to back their idle down a little which I would think is a good thing(better fuel burn). I really dont think this has to do with your gas smell, but wanted to make you aware with the new injectors. Sounds like you have done everything right. Looking forward to seeing what you find out.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-07-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:58 PM
RSR

Wideband 02 will tell you everything you'd need to know by the way... Just have one installed near your factory location and add a gauge somewhere in the cab. The factory 02 sensor adjusts everywhere but fully closed and wide open throttle I think. Otherwise, in stock factory setup, I think it's assumed to be correct...

Also, when your ECM isn't getting all the info it needs from sensors, it'll run rich to protect your engine. Usually, but not always, you'll get check engine lights (the crankshaft sensor on my distributor wasn't working and had me running rich with no CEL warning) -- these engines error codes aren't quite at the same level as current production vehicles. A lot of times you have to pull out a multimeter to identify all issues.

While running rich wastes fuel and potentially destroys your cat, running lean can completely destroy your engine, burning valves and pistons, so that's why the ECM defaults to rich...

Pull a plug or two. Black and sooty means you're running rich. White means you're running lean. Tan/somewhere in the middle is ideal.

Last edited by RSR; 09-08-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RSR
Wideband 02 will tell you everything you'd need to know by the way... Just have one installed near your factory location and add a gauge somewhere in the cab. The factory 02 sensor adjusts everywhere but fully closed and wide open throttle I think. Otherwise, in stock factory setup, I think it's assumed to be correct...

Also, when your ECM isn't getting all the info it needs from sensors, it'll run rich to protect your engine. Usually, but not always, you'll get check engine lights (the crankshaft sensor on my distributor wasn't working and had me running rich with no CEL warning) -- these engines error codes aren't quite at the same level as current production vehicles. A lot of times you have to pull out a multimeter to identify all issues.

While running rich wastes fuel and potentially destroys your cat, running lean can completely destroy your engine, burning valves and pistons, so that's why the ECM defaults to rich...

Pull a plug or two. Black and sooty means you're running rich. White means you're running lean. Tan/somewhere in the middle is ideal.
What have you read in this thread that makes you think he is running rich? The injectors may flow more, but the ECU controls the time they open and close. The O2 will then take a reading and send a signal to the ECM to reduce or increase time duration. Everything was working before and the only difference is a sight increase in injector flow and a cleaning.

The sulpher smell could very well be the cleaning agents used to clean the intake and they are just burning off...
Old 09-09-2013, 10:39 AM
RSR

Cleaning the intake while it's off wouldn't result in sulfur smell. And wouldn't result in a sulfur smell for more than a minute or two... Heck even the Amsoil foam I used on never resulted in a sulfur smell... You're removing carbon, not sulfur.

Flamethrowers flow something like 20% more. That's substantial.

If a sensor wasn't working and this was run long enough at a rich condition, that would destroy the cat... A properly configured cat converts hydrogen sulfide (which smells like sulfur/rotten eggs) to sulfur dioxide which is odorless. That his exhaust now stinks means his cat is toast. Cats burn up due to too much fuel reaching them. That's rich. Just changing fuel injectors wouldn't have killed the cat unless his truck had some sensor failing/failed that didn't allow the ECM to properly tune -- for our cats to work, the ECM tunes them from rich to lean (sort of like a heartbeat and if everything's working kosher and you get your valves quieted down w/ adjustment and your engine quieted down w/ a good flush, where I'm at currently, you can actually hear the engine pulse back and forth) to allow the cat to work properly. And if the ECM is missing information, it defaults to a rich condition (in order to prevent a lean condition that would/could require a complete rebuild if run like that for too long).

Just b/c your truck runs in stock configuration, doesn't mean it's running right and all sensors were working properly before you mod... When you make substantial changes, you should check all the sensors before the change and then retune after... Same as if you're going to be doing an AFM swap or something of the sort. It's a heck of a lot easier to troubleshoot on the front end, then clean up on the back. And as illustrated throughout the thread, a lot of sensors can fail and/or lose significant accuracy on these trucks and never generate a CEL. Periodically, it's worthwhile to get out the multimeter and check resistance per FSM specs on fuel, air, spark, exhaust -- part of my annual tuneups.

So most likely it's a sensor/ECM issue (my guess), or the fuel pressure regulator. Has to be one of the two. And the ECM/O2 only controls when throttle is partially open. Otherwise, at idle and at WOT, I believe you need the wideband 02 to set to stoich.

You'll want to replace your cat too... Hopefully the core is intact. Should be able to sell an intact 22re one for ~$150, which pays for most of a new one. But only if the core is intact.

Last edited by RSR; 09-09-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:09 AM
RSR

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Don't think so just got a new cat and exhaust was done when I got the truck a couple years ago.
Hey man, not sure what cat you got, but the ceramic cores are much more sensitive/prone to destruction in rich conditions than metal core. The metal core cost twice as much, but they take longer to self destruct.

And forgot you already swapped cats, so disregard the $150 figure. You're probably closer to $50 if your core is still intact.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM

I thought all the cleaner I used could be causing such smell but I used a lot but not enough to last this long, well the truck is going in tonight to get the gearbox rebuilt due to play in the wheel and an annoying harmonic noise so while he has it he's going to check everything out, he is going to re-test the o2 and test all the other possible culprits.

Interested to see what he finds and hopefully nothing too pricey but we shall see will update this week once he lets me know

Have a good week guys.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM

Well seems injectors are to blame, done with the whole situation and sending my stock ones out to get rebuilt. Anyone interested in the set lemme know

And it is also possible something else isn't adjusting to them, but at this point I'm done with it, Anyhoo

Last edited by Discombobulated; 09-17-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:43 PM

Just not to leave this thread hanging, got my original injectors back from witchhunter, swapped out the flamethrowers and all is well, guess my truck just wouldn't adjust

No more firecracker smelly smell, yay
Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts