Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My compression results

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by osv
the question here is, what is the condition of the short block? throwing money at a head/valve replacement could be false economy in the long run, been there done that.

i seem to recall you mentioning that the p.o. didn't appear to have done much maintenance to the truck, it was basically abused when you got it? i wonder if the timing chain had ever been replaced, is the guide still intact? if he never changed the oil, the rings could be worn.

if the guide is still together, i would be tempted to get a used distributor from the junkyard, and just drive the thing 'till it drops, but also start looking for a used motor or even a core motor to rebuild, in the meantime... something that hadn't been overheated.

bakersfield is flat, you aren't going far right? just get aaa tow insurance.
Lol EXACTLY right!
The Trans has a slight problem on 1st and 4th, I know the clutch will need replacing soon, it needs a paint job, the timing chain is rattling, the vacuum advance is shot and needs replacing and the leaf springs are shot especially the passenger side one lol

My compression test wasn't too bad so the bottom end can't be too bad and I think it runs great now. This is why I'm going to drop some cash on the top end but all these bad things is why I didn't want to spend so much on the head.
It needs so many other things worked on. Plus... it's a beater truck but it has to run good and be reliable for me to be happy. I'd love to have this as my daily work truck so reliable is a must.

My parents live in Los Angeles and I'd love to be able to drive my truck to Los Angeles that's why I want to replace the blown head gasket. I don't want to overheat going up the 5 mile 6% climb on the way.

After reading your post OSV, I feel much better. Now I just want to replace the head gasket, cyl #3 exhaust valve, resurface, new head bolts and the timing chain.

I already have the chain, water and oil pump and I ordered the HG kit, exh valve and head bolts before I went to bed this morning. The installed water and oil pump don't leak so I'll probably just save them for the replacement block I'll get.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
well it sounds like you are gonna do it, keep us posted as it goes... i would suggest taking the truck to the car wash and blowing the entire engine off in the grease bay, before you start... changing water pumps is usually cheap insurance, if there is any sign of leakage out of the weep hole, be sure and change it now.

you might also want to look at some 22r head teardown vids... i don't know of any, but here is one that i shot on old vws, they are pushrod motors, so it won't help much, but this vid introduces relevant concepts like valve guide wear, head cracks, valve jobs, etc., maybe there will be something helpful in there.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the video link, I just took it to a coin car wash a few days ago and sprayed the engine down with the help of some purple power cleaner. It's way better than what it was.
I began to disassemble and I unbolted the exhaust manifold from the head and exhaust header along with the intake manifold right before I came to work.
When I get home I'll take out the radiator and whatever else I can.
It sucks working in my garage with 100+ degree outside temps but this has to be done
I have a 1 year old that requires a lot of attention...... luckily his brothers and sister keep him busy while I play in the garage
I should have the HG early next week and I want to have everything ready before it comes.

Last edited by lalojamesliz; 08-20-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 84sr5yoty
Wow, I couldn't believe a vacuum advance can would ever pull down that kind of green until I looked it up myself. It appears a new (most likely rebuilt) $80 distributor is certainly the most pragmatic choice.
Uh; before you jump and buy check out "Rich Porter" brand. I've had some bad luck with parts store brand units.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:09 PM

I took off the head this morning but I fell asleep when I was resting.
Piston #4 looks clean but I'll guess the coolant leak did that. #3 had the exhaust valve leak and that valve had a ton of build up on the valve. Way more than any other exhaust valve.
Before I removed the head I was worried about breaking a head bolt from the horror stories I've read on cylinders 2 and 4 being seized often.
I was lucky enough that I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the head bolts.
Both plastic chain guides are broken and I have some nice train tracks on the timing cover. This engine is beat up!
I will remove the oil pan tomorrow morning and I hope to get the chain replaced tomorrow also
Old 08-20-2016, 09:16 PM

Here are some pics for now
Attached Thumbnails My compression results-20160820_124543.jpg   My compression results-20160820_124825.jpg  
Old 08-21-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to see another 22RE rebuild but it looks like you are doing every thing right. At this point you may want to consider just pulling the motor and doing every thing I the engine stand. Trust me you will save your self a lot of time and head ache.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:57 AM

If I pull the motor I'll just end up replacing the clutch and that's moooar mula
My supposedly powerful impact wrench didn't have the power I thought it had to take off the crank pulley bolt ( aircrat 1150) but the socket swivel and 12" extension probably didn't help. So I used the starter with the breaker bar. But I think since I had the chain somewhat loose I think I broke my timing cover on the bottom. Here's a pic
I am replacing the water pump after all. The old one looks tired and has a little play.
Do you guys think I'll be OK using this cover since I broke a small area off in the of the timing cover with the flathead pointing at it?

I don't see how that guide is needed if the chain is on with tension but I don't know for sure.
Attached Thumbnails My compression results-20160821_110038.jpg   My compression results-20160821_114309.jpg  

Last edited by lalojamesliz; 08-21-2016 at 10:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:57 AM

Trust me. Pull the motor. If the clutch is good then don't worry about it. If it needs to be replaced then now is as good of time as any.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:18 PM

I don't have a engine stand, well not for a 4 cyl. I'm OK with the space I have working on it. But I do have a engine hoist. I need to lift the engine a little to pull the pan but other than that I'm cool
what do you think about my timing cover issue?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:45 PM

I just ordered a new timing cover. I didn't want to chance if my cover was still good with the broken lip. Plus either a stud or bolt from the middle of the water pump broke in the cover.

Last edited by lalojamesliz; 08-21-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:51 AM

I didn't know that I can return parts to rockuto until last night, I returned a couple things and I just ordered a steel guide timing kit from enginebldr (spelling? ) , a oem headgasket and I cleaned up the cylinder head and dropped it off for the resurface a few hours ago.
My local stealership wanted $63+ tax for the HG but I found it from a Toyota dealer online for $43 shipped

I decided not to cheap out on that part and the timing kit. My new water pump is aisin so I should be good for a long while as long as the bottom end is ok.
I was going to use a thread chaser on the head bolt threads for the new head bolts I bought but the machinist I took my head to said just clean them out really good (oil/water) and spray brake cleaner then blow it out with my air gun and do that a few times and I should be fine.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by lalojamesliz
I was going to use a thread chaser on the head bolt threads for the new head bolts I bought but the machinist I took my head to said just clean them out really good (oil/water) and spray brake cleaner then blow it out with my air gun and do that a few times and I should be fine.
When somebody who ought to know better says something stupid like this, Just smile and nod.

Nothing short of chasing the threads will truly make them right.

Even after using solvents and air, a chaser, or tap, will bring stuff out of the roots of the threads.

Then use the solvent and air again. Belt AND Suspenders.

Last edited by millball; 08-23-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:22 PM
osv

the problem is that junk in the threads can alter the torque reading... when cleaning up head stud threads in the block, the object is to not remove any metal.

what works well for that is an old head stud, that has a vertical cut down across the threads, i use a die grinder to make the cut.

it'll scoop up junk into the cut portion of the thread.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by millball
When somebody who ought to know better says something stupid like this, Just smile and nod.

Nothing short of chasing the threads will truly make them right.

Even after using solvents and air, a chaser, or tap, will bring stuff out of the roots of the threads.

Then use the solvent and air again. Belt AND Suspenders.
Ha ha ha
Old 08-23-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by osv
the problem is that junk in the threads can alter the torque reading... when cleaning up head stud threads in the block, the object is to not remove any metal.

what works well for that is an old head stud, that has a vertical cut down across the threads, i use a die grinder to make the cut.

it'll scoop up junk into the cut portion of the thread.
I remember seeing that when I searched around. Thanks osv, I'll give that a try instead
Old 08-24-2016, 04:57 AM

This is going to be a train wreck.

Good call on the water pump. Personally I only run OEM head gaskets from the dealers since they have made a few changes and have updated PNs. I don't know if aftermarket suppliers offer the same quality and for a savings of $20 it's not worth the risk.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by cbr600rx7
This is going to be a train wreck.
What do you mean?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:57 PM
osv

maybe he means that it'll wreck your budget :-) we've all seen that on our trucks!

the troubleshooting you did looked to me like you made the right decision to pull the head, because driving that thing up the hill and into heavy l.a. traffic, in summer heat, would have been a bit dicey.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:18 PM

Thanks osv.
I'm just glad I used that leak down tester that showed me I had a blown HG instead of just changing the timing chain.

My new timing cover was delivered today. The oem HG probably tomorrow.
The head is ready (resurface) but I need to pick it up then a quick valve job on the exhaust valves (maybe the intake) and pop on some new valve stem seals on that bish and it's ready.
I still need to pull the pan off, I read somewhat can just loosen the 4 engine mount nuts or bolts and raise the engine like that just enough to clear the pan. Does that sound right?
I also read to use Toyota FIPG instead of a regular gasket and tighten the bolts just snug instead of of using a torque wrench because the bolts easily snap.

Quick Reply: My compression results