Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My 88 blew the head gasket

Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My 88 blew the head gasket

Well, after 218,000 + and jinxing myself last week by saying I never had a problem, my head gasket blew. So the million dollar question is...to 3.4 or go for the replacement gasket.

Cash is an issue but reliability is a even bigger. My dealership says they'll replace the gasket for $1300 with the new bolts and warranty it for a year.

Best guess I can see for a 3.4L ($2500) from O'Reilly's Auto Parts w/ 6 mo. warranty + wiring harness, etc. and install is $3.5K + $1K for surprises (total).

I'm leaning toward the gaskets but would like to know if anyone knows where I can get a 3.4L cheap.

Last edited by clos88runner; 10-13-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
craigslist, junkyards, dealership. finding a whole truck would be the best thing if you want to do the swap cause it makes it that much easier.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:29 PM

i would say to fix what u got, i dont know what engine you have but a head gasket is not that hard to replace, theres got to be some one on here that lives close to you that could help, me and my buddy have done it on a few trucks now and i think we could do it in about 3 hours now but thats on the 22re 4cyl
Old 10-12-2007, 10:23 AM

Head Gasket

I'm assuming you have the 3.0 , mine has had the HG on recall repair and has 258K on it , still alot of life in that motor if you take care of it .
I could do it in a full day (not counting having the heads checked/re-surfaced) but then I have done that most of my life , you could go and buy the bolts , borrow a Torque Wrench (and those cursed sockets) yes the socket (prolly buy 1/2 drive for that head for $5-10), buy the gasket set , give your self a car for a few days - pull it down (use the posts(search) here for some hidden screws for intake removal) and take the heads and get checked/re-surfaced , when they are done spend the next day off or evenings to put the puppy back together , if you got a good memory then you won't be looking at the FSM too much putting back together , I have had things like that that I have paid for instead of doing it myself but when it comes to headjobs ( Oh no ........a infraction hehe ) I think I would have to have someone I really knew was going to do it right and there aren't many out there , people call me a perfectionist but I have never had one come back whether mine or someone elses .
Either way you got to pay just depends on how valuable that moolah is to you and for sure if you know someone that will take the time to do it right (like Re-Torqing heads after heat up and complete cooldown) , Roll the dice but you could do it if your patience and get the gaskets and it would only cost around I'd say $250-500 depending on the condition of your heads .
But regardless if you get this done it would be a great time for a Timing Belt/Chain replacement (depending on the last change of course but if they have been on a while wouldn't hurt) , I know more money but if you get while its torn down so easy and no worries about all that again (long while at least). Hard choice just the same , let us know how it goes

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-12-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced the head gasket on my '88 22RE and it's pretty easy and pretty cheap. I used the kit from engnbldr.com for $60 and it includes EVERYTHING and then some. Pretty much the only extra costs are machining the head surface flat (~$60) and some new oil. With the mileage on yours (is it a 22RE?) you could get a brand new head, with stock cam or aftermarket, from engnbldr for really cheap.

Oh, and before you put new head bolt back in, get the proper sized tap and run it through the bolt holes in the block and clean them out really well. You'll get a ton of crap outta them, and you'll get more accurate specs when you torque the head bolts down.

Last edited by BeaterToyota; 10-12-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:07 PM

3.slow blown gaskets

Sorry for not making this clear but I do have the 3.0 V6 w/5Spd manual. I gotta tell you that I picked this truck up for $2000 and put $1K in it for rhino lining, wheels, and Rancho suspension upgrade to include new steering stabilizer. I think the $1300 investment is worth it due to the warranty.

I know the service manager personally (b/c of kids) at the stealership and he's been straight w/ me for all the cars I've taken to them or purchased from them.

I talked to him after reading the forum on Friday and he confirmed that they would use the grahite head gasket and they will use the tourque-to-yield bolts with a thre stage tightening process. I'll get verification that they are going to run the tap set and ensure the block is indeed level before starting. He knows I have the cash for new parts and will heed the timing chain, water pump, and idler arm bearing that y'all have recommended.

I have a few questions to clarify with y'all before Monday though:

1. Is the graphite head gasket the latest and greatest?
2. Are the TTY head bolts the recommended fasteners?
3. Will independent shops offer me a warranty as well?
4. Any other ideas of what I can do to improve the longevity of the truck while I have it torn down?

Thanks to all you who responded and to all who respnd to this post. I think this forum is great for its frankness and very helpful!

Now, it's Miller time!

Cheers!

Last edited by clos88runner; 10-13-2007 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:25 PM

Blown Headgasket

The answer is you have to find someone that will do it right , 3 step torque in sequence is the factory minimum almost everywhere , fire the motor and let cool down and re-torque is a step in the right direction too , I know its pain in the tucass but it would improve the life of the gasket .
Sure other shops will give you a warranty , but will they honor it fully when the time comes , if you have the Dealer do it and the mechanics have always taken good care of your stuff then go with him , the Dealer may be a pricey way to go sometimes but OEM cost more that aftermarket in most cases , if you trust them then let them do it , I wouldn't want to try someone out for a job like that .
As for the bolts , if the dealer is doing then OEM should be fine for that motor .
Head gaskets for these I have no idea outside of OEM , maybe someone will chime in and give you a idea.
I'm a old schooler ..................

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-13-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Thumbs up I'm going for it!!!! New head gaskets for the 3.slow

Thanks for the sound advice. The service manager says I will have to wait until Tuesday but he is going to have the most experienced mechanic do my truck and from what I hear, he has done quite a few of these.

I trust the service manager and the mechanic as they both advised me not to buy a particular vehicle (an '06 demo 4runner) for the wife when I asked them. They both brought up the point of valve clearance and compression testing after the fact and retourquing. They know all I care about is getting it done right...no matter how long they have it.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:06 PM

Blown Headgasket

Originally Posted by clos88runner
Thanks for the sound advice. The service manager says I will have to wait until Tuesday but he is going to have the most experienced mechanic do my truck and from what I hear, he has done quite a few of these.

I trust the service manager and the mechanic as they both advised me not to buy a particular vehicle (an '06 demo 4runner) for the wife when I asked them. They both brought up the point of valve clearance and compression testing after the fact and retourquing. They know all I care about is getting it done right...no matter how long they have it.
Cool .....Sounds like a good relationship there , I would definately stick with them