86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 87 Toyota 4X4 or Fun and mysteries of restoring a Toyota 4X4 that is a "gem"

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by grumpin
FYI, this is exactly the same in the 87 manual as bswarm said. Good job!
Only question I have at this point is this, "What is worn out?" My brakes are no longer over adjusting, but I have the driver's side bellcrank adjuster adjusted all the way in, I have no more adjustment left. That must mean something is completely worn out in my mind.

grey
Old 03-23-2015, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greyheadedguy
Only question I have at this point is this, "What is worn out?" My brakes are no longer over adjusting, but I have the driver's side bellcrank adjuster adjusted all the way in, I have no more adjustment left. That must mean something is completely worn out in my mind.

grey
Yes, or installed wrong. You're finding lots of stuff wrong, keep at it.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by grumpin
Yes, or installed wrong. You're finding lots of stuff wrong, keep at it.
I'm a much better mechanic then whoever worked on this truck before me. In redoing the brakes I replaced shoes, wheel cylinders, springs complete and turned the drums. I did not replace the bellcranks or cables have never seen them wear out. Seeing as both drums were packed in sand, from this truck being buried in a wash, and the driver's side had sand that was packed in oil/grease. Brings me back to my question, what is likely warn out?

grey
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 PM

Well an interesting thing happened. My truck developed a misfire and was getting hard(er) to start. So I started going through things. I checked the wires, fuel level in the bowl of the Carburetor. I even checked the timing. I started to check the spark plugs, but got thinking about the coil and the ignition unit. I pulled the one from my wrecked truck (I had replaced the ignition unit shortly before the overhaul) and put the complete unit in my truck. I had to run an errand and took the truck out. After running it a little bit the truck had more power and pep then it ever has in this configuration.

I still had the miss so I pulled the spark plugs and checked them. I had some fouling, and needed to regap the plugs. This morning I still had the miss, but the truck is running so much better. After I get paid I will get new plugs for the truck and put them in.

After driving around town today the truck is running good, really good! I don't notice the miss, but the truck had been pretty warm all day. This morning the truck actually died on me several times. But that was while the truck was still "cold" first thing this morning. I didn't notice any miss when I parked the truck this afternoon. I hope that fixed it.

I'll check my gas mileage and let you know what happens. My truck is back!!! I am so relieved! I was really wondering/hoping it was a lot of friction in the bad transmission bearings killing the gas mileage and power. It was bad, I could not get the truck up to 45 MPH in 3rd gear. Trying to do 50 in 4th was difficult, now it does 50 when I am trying to do 40! Feels good to drive my truck again!

grey
Old 06-08-2015, 09:19 PM

Truck is still misfiring. Something funny has happened. I think it is a thermo problem. Friday night I had to run errands. When I got to the first stop the truck was running like crap, misfiring, almost loping, really running rough, trying to die. I came out of the store after a few minutes and the truck ran fine, smooth idle just like it was supposed to. Did the same Saturday night when I took my grandson home. Ran like crap for the 1 mile plus to daughter's house. Parked, turned off truck went in made sure grandson had everything. Went out started the truck to leave and it ran fine... Same thing today... Any ideas?

grey
Old 06-09-2015, 09:01 AM

After doing a bunch of reading, I read something about the AAP (Alternative Accelerator Pump) That if the diaphragm went bad that there would be gas in the vacuum line feeding it. I slipped the vacuum line off and sure enough there was gas in it. I pulled the AAP diaphragm off the engine I pulled out of the truck and installed it, and it seems to have fixed the problem. When pulling the diaphragm it had gas on both sides of the diaphragm...

I'm worried that this a good news bad news scenario... Good news it was just the AAP diaphragm, bad news all the seals in my carburetor are going to start to go...

grey

Last edited by greyheadedguy; 06-09-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:47 PM

Brakes binding while backing up after running through puddles...

Okay, I got one for you. It was raining hard the other day and I had my grandsons with me, so I took the 4x4 through some deep puddles. Water flying everywhere! Boys giggling and laughing. No problems...

We get home and I go to back my truck up the drive, and it starts slowing down. What? I pop it back in to first and give it just a touch of clutch and the truck is rolling free. I start backing up again and I hear a slight clunk and the truck starts binding stopping when I try to back up. I stop start to move forward and clunk (I think) and it roles free. I park the truck and we go in I decide to look at it later.

An hour later I have to run an errand and I remember the problem so I stop and back the truck up twice the length of drive way and 4 times the distance I was having problems with and nothing! Everything is fine! No problem since...

Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bswarm...Thanks a lot...!!!

Thanks a lot...!!!
I tought I would not be able to fix my brakes from blocking every week, a mechanic friend of mine messed with them, with out asking him to do that...
Man, my English is insuficient to tell you the amount of months,hours and stupid things he did after he messed with the E brake adjustment...
Originally Posted by bswarm
In this order...
1- Loosen the main parking brake cable adjuster
2- loosen the bellcrank adjusters
3- adjust rear brakes at starwheel so drum fits snugly but still turns by hand
4- adjust bellcrank adjusters
5- adjust main cable adjuster.
That should get the rears adjusted properly.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:48 AM

LSPV Adjustment

By the way, heres a great link for the LSPV adjustment...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...stment-225328/
Old 08-21-2015, 05:18 AM

Never mind...
Not fix yet...
Yesterday Ive spend 5 hours with my brake sistem... betwen the LSPV and the E brake adjustment...
Old 08-21-2015, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by morena67
Never mind...
Not fix yet...
Yesterday Ive spend 5 hours with my brake sistem... betwen the LSPV and the E brake adjustment...
I ended up adjusting the side that kept over tightening a half turn in, when I got close it was by the 1/4 turn and then test drive until I got my brakes to stop over adjusting. I plan on replacing all of the Automatic adjusting parts next time I do my brakes. Last time I replaced all the springs with NAPA springs, couldn't afford Genuine Toyota springs.

Good luck, hang in there, just a little at a time, you will get it.

grey
Old 08-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I think the adjusters are side specific. The drums are great brakes but sometimes you just need to replace all of the hardware to get them to work right again.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:00 AM

Sounds like a very good option, I ll try that I guess...

...I did left the bell crank adjusters tight to the drum.

And the E brake also tight... Just with a few clicks, around 5 ...

...Thanks 4 the help.

Saludos...!!!

Originally Posted by greyheadedguy
I ended up adjusting the side that kept over tightening a half turn in, when I got close it was by the 1/4 turn and then test drive until I got my brakes to stop over adjusting. I plan on replacing all of the Automatic adjusting parts next time I do my brakes. Last time I replaced all the springs with NAPA springs, couldn't afford Genuine Toyota springs.

Good luck, hang in there, just a little at a time, you will get it.

grey
Old 08-23-2015, 03:04 AM

Sorry man, I dont Know what you mean by side specific...

Hope I dont have to change a lot... never have a problem until this guy, my mechanic friend, mess with my brakes...

Thanks 4 the help...!!!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I think the adjusters are side specific. The drums are great brakes but sometimes you just need to replace all of the hardware to get them to work right again.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by morena67
Sounds like a very good option, I ll try that I guess...

...I did left the bell crank adjusters tight to the drum.

And the E brake also tight... Just with a few clicks, around 5 ...

...Thanks 4 the help.

Saludos...!!!
How many clicks does your E-brake pull out? Sounds like it may be too tight? My truck had the e-brake over tightened when I got it and made the auto adjusters over tighten the rear brake shoes

grey
Old 08-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Yeah Grey, sounds like it is to tight, but something hapend that make me do that, and I will try to explain it.

The right side drum got tight after over 20 days with out a problem. Get the truck on the jack stands, and I did all the process bswarm advice... I did let the Ebrake at around 13 clicks... released and loose it around 4 or 5 times to check, and when I get back on the wheels the left drum was already tight...

Redo the process 3 times... and the same result...

By that time I has already spend almost 5 hours under the sun and I was feedup...

So I redo the process and simply let the Ebrake cable with just a few clicks, thinking that this, may give little room for the bellcrank adjuster to move ... I didnt even want to check locking and releasing the Ebrake a few times...

Today after driving around I touch the drums... and the passenger side was feeling a little bit warmer...

P.D: The bright side of the story is that I check the LSPV, take off the load adjust rod cleaned it, and check the valve piston move, it moves good.
I even move up and down the body of the LSPV and leave it as it was... at the end I let the rod at 130 mm. And my brakes do feel diferent, dont know if it is because I lubricate the tip of the piston of this unfamous thing...with vaseline by the way...since I dont have a light grease that can be aplied to plastic and steel...Any recomendations...?

Thanks a lot for all the help...!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 08:49 PM

On my truck I always use my parking brake every time I park and get out of the vehicle, so it adjusts up really quickly on me. I had to adjust my parking brake almost all the way out to the maximum setting of clicks. If I tighten it up it over adjusts. You also need to make sure your auto adjuster comes to rest after you release the parking brake. I had some problems with the belcrank not going to a rest position and applying pressure on the brake shoe and in turn making the brakes drag on the drum. I have spent hours and hours and hours and hours getting my brakes to adjust right, I'd say it took me well into two weeks to get the adjustment right.

I would drive to the store and hop out and touch the drums to see if one side was hotter then the other. If it was I would grab my tools and adjust it then and there. I have adjusted it along side the road, Sear's parking lot, Fry's parking lot... Can't think of many places I have not adjusted my brakes. And that included backing off the rear brake shoes...

Unfortunately I have no advice for a grease to use... Hopefully someone will make a suggestion.

grey
Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 PM

I bought my truck 8 years ago... and never had this self adjust problem...like you, I used my Ebrake every time, never had a self adjusting problem...never...

I have spend months, not only weeks trying to fix a problem that have an unknown birth. I feel you, releasing yor drums every were...sorry for that, what a PIA...

I like to blame my mechanic who messed with them, with out knowing what he was doing...and to make it worse, when the problem apears he messed whit them even more, making the variables greaters... right ?

You have gave me some ideas, I will try to peak at the Ebrake cable and bellcranks every now and then 2 check their resting properly...

Guess pretty soon I will have to get my tools again to released my drums...and leave the Ebrake cable loose... and start over again...

Wish I have a more fluid English to explain things iin a better and more detailed way.

Thanks again...What a great place Yotatech is...!!!

Ruben.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:05 PM

Hey guy, I know Google has translate page available and I know there are places you can copy and paste text to have it translated, although a word for word translation does not always translate too well.

http://www.spanishdict.com

Something like this:

"Hey chico, sé que Google ha traducir página disponible y sé que hay lugares que usted puede copiar y pegar texto para tenerlo traducido, aunque una palabra para la traducción de la palabra no siempre se traduce muy bien."

We could give it a try...
grey
Old 08-24-2015, 07:00 AM

Hey Grey Thanks again...!!!

Quick Reply: My 87 Toyota 4X4 or Fun and mysteries of restoring a Toyota 4X4 that is a "gem"