Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My 1993 toyota 4runner 4wd wont engage!!??!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know anything about a click or clank but then, mine functions properly. Always make sure you keep the drive shaft greased up though. Once I felt it kinda wanting to pull sluggishly in 4l then greased everything and the problem was gone.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:00 PM

1 hour lunch fix

Went home on lunch and decided to check it out (12:12pm-cst). After removing my skid plate and draining what I could from the front diff, I removed the 4 bolts and separated the shift fork to find the shaft was out of position. I have used a hose clamp to keep this from happening and after buttoning everything back up, I decided to drive across the lake back to work and 4WD is back in business. (1:15pm-cst) Thanks for the help.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Been... Do you have manual locking hubs?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 AM

Warn premium manual locking hubs to be specific
Old 03-25-2010, 05:11 AM

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/add/
Old 03-26-2010, 12:35 PM

Very informative
Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 PM

yea i have a problem with my 4wd too bigroy408 i know what you mean mines does the same thing it clicks to let me know its engaging my problems is my 4wd light on the dash comes on and it also feels like i am in 4H and 4L but my fron drive shaft aint doin a thing i tried manual switching the vacuum lines its work but i dont want to have to do that all time so i am stuck PLEASE HELP.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by banoobee17
yea i have a problem with my 4wd too bigroy408 i know what you mean mines does the same thing it clicks to let me know its engaging my problems is my 4wd light on the dash comes on and it also feels like i am in 4H and 4L but my fron drive shaft aint doin a thing i tried manual switching the vacuum lines its work but i dont want to have to do that all time so i am stuck PLEASE HELP.
know what I did to mine? I just hooked up constant vacuum. I didn't see a dip in fuel economy and I never had to worry about it again lol
Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 AM

What vacuum? Oh.. You still running automatic hubs? If so, check for splits in your vacuum hose. If no leaks; take a voltmeter to the valves and repair or replace if necessary.

If running ml hubs; read the article in the previous post and remove the vacuum and lock the tube.

Respectfully,
Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by banoobee17
Yeah I tried to make the 4wd to work but i couldnt even get the 4wd light to go on the dash....I am just going to get the manual lock hubs when i could get some money....sorry about that. hopefully these help:

http://www.offroad.com/trucks4x4/art....jsp?id=399612
Old 05-12-2010, 05:21 AM

Bigroy-

You'll be glad you did and either way you can always do the less expensive stuff without $ as long as you have a little time. The first thing you could check is to see if the plug at your front diff has continuity. I've had to splice and crimp this 2 pin connector multiple times and have since run new/longer/heavier gauge wire with a better route to prevent damage. It's easy for these wires to get severed. Otherwise you can still check at the relay. Let me know what you end up doing and if you need any help along the way.

Best,
Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi , i had a 1993 hilux with the same problem, it turned out to be the transfer box actuator not engaging the front driveshaft, so although the a.d.d was working it had no 4wd but the light was on, so give your actuator a check, worked for me.
hope this helps
p.s. even if it sounds like its working, it might not be !! mine sounded like it was working perfectly but it was jammed, 20 mins and it was fixed
Old 05-13-2010, 05:06 AM

1993hiluxsr5,

This appears to be most common. For those who dont know, what specifically did you do in that 20 minutes to fix it?

Thanks,
Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 AM

my truck having this issue as well, 4wd took awhile to engage then finally quit all together.. 93 with ADD lol

Last edited by 89yotarollaGTS; 06-01-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A.D.D. relay/fuse?

Originally Posted by BeenYota
What vacuum? Oh.. You still running automatic hubs? If so, check for splits in your vacuum hose. If no leaks; take a voltmeter to the valves and repair or replace if necessary.

If running ml hubs; read the article in the previous post and remove the vacuum and lock the tube.

Respectfully,

The very last paragraph from the above linked article : "Eliminating the ADD system works with either the ADD hub flanges or manual hubs".

It appears that locking the tubes can be done for either hubs (ml or add hub flanges).
Right now I'm going through the same problem and after the article,I'm quite sure I want to eliminate the ADD. With the help of my mechanic friend,we have a question.
Could we just run the vsv vacuum lines together through a manual valve?
To engage 4 wheel drive,close one knob open the other...supplying front diff. with vac. To disengage,close opened valve and open the closed one to release vac. Could this actually work? (of course your lil dash light wont come on,but who needs it when you know your locking it in?)

My rig's problem through process of elimination is the front most vsv isn't getting juice,thus not locking it in. We tried the relay and it appears to be good.
The big question...in the FSM,(and aldata) the diagram shows the vsv wires leading to the relay,then from the relay to a "FUSE". Please...for the love of all mankind...where is this dang dong diggity fuse? We've searched all fuse junctions and see nothing indicating an a.d.d relay fuse.
Could someone also help with wire colors from the vsv to the relay?
I was considering rewiring a committed line to a toggle switch. Question their is...is that fees-able? Or would the vsv not work like that?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 PM

sounds like the actuator in the diff. they freeze up if not used a lot.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM

Actuator is working. Had truck up on stands,checked vac. at actuator and at vsv's. All working. Supplied vac through vsv's and front diff. locks and unlocks with dash light working as well. So actuator is deff. working and like I had said...we have determined that the front most vsv is not getting any positive current. Trying to find out why not. Found the relay for the a.d.d.,but can't tell if it's working properly or not. trying to locate the a.d.d. relay fuse...
Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 PM

Doeas anyone wanna chime in on this? having a real hard time locating "4 wheel drive fuse". FSM says their is one,but does not say where it's at. I checked all 3 clusters and nothing. Found the a.d.d. relay and it supposed to lead to fuse,but so far...nothing.
Any help at all?