Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Multiple Questions, Please Help?

Old 12-28-2013, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Multiple Questions, Please Help?

SO I have a bunch of questions some are totally different from the others so here they are, and im sorry in advance just want to make sure i know as much about my truck as possible. and also to make sure i have my facts straight.
Ok so to start I own a 1989 Toyota pickup DLX model with the 22re more information can be located in my signature
So here is the list... sorry again.
1.What generation would my toy be?
2.Would my truck still be a "hilux" in the us? because some places list it as a hilux and some as a pickup, ( i know they are virtually the same)
3. The differential was replaced by some knuckle heads at the local mechanic shops and it blew up, needless to say i no longer go there and work on my own truck, BUT I was told it was replaced with a "equivilent" junk yard "unit"and was basically the same. from what little research i have done i am pretty sure it had the same 4.10 gears and that it is an OPEN diff. 4.10 by identifying the diff with X amount of heat sinks (slits on the side of the diff) and OPEN because as i turn one wheel on the lift and the other one spins in the opposite direction. so as a question in a question 1.could i be correct about the 4.10 and that it is an open diff? (because while i was at autozone an employee told me my thinking was wrong and that it could possibly be a LSD (i highly dought that). and 2# can i safely replace the diff fluid, and what gear oil would be recommenced. the reason i ask if it is safe is because the oil is SLIGHTLY sparkly and blackened after only about 4000k which throws a red flag for me, and i don't want to replace the fluid and have my diff blow up again because: from what i know for EX when you run a auto trans with the same fluid for 200k miles and replace it, the transmission could slip because it is used to the thinker fluid that you replaced because it contained the little bits and piece of the transmission as it weared away making the fluid thicker.) i dont want to replace it and have that be the case

SO again to reiterate in Question 3. 1. Is it safe to say i have an open diff with 4.10 gears and can i safely replace my diff fluid (I REALLY WANT TO!!!)

4. And my final question goes to the instrument cluster for as long as i got my hands on the truck from my dad i have wanted the SR5 cluster with the tach i just love the look of it, that being said i can find many on ebay( but they seem way to expensive from 120 to 300 dollars) and they never show up at the local junkyard.
So basically my question for this one is What is a good price range for a SR5 Cluster, and what are the question to ask if i do find one/ or if any one here has one i know i need to ask if it has a cable speedo or not but anything else? also is there a guarantee that i will have stock wiring for the tach hookup if i do find a cluster? i don't know if it is hit or miss for this year..

Sorry for all the questions but i hope you guys can help me!, thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ven0m; 12-28-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
3rd Gen Truck (89-95.5)

Yes, safet to say you have an open diff.. drain through the bottom, replace drain plug, open fill plug on the rear of diff housing, fill till it starts coming back out the fill plug, replace fill plug, wipe with towel.

way to check for a locker..jack the truck up with rear axle off the ground, turn one wheel and if both wheels rotate the same direction- you have a locker, if they rotate opposite directions = open diff
Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 PM

Also thanks for that but i forgot to add what the recommended fluid would be im getting the majority is 75w-90 is that right or should i go 80w-90 i have replaced it before on other vehicles really want to know if it was safe to replace and what fluid is reccomended,
Thanks again man!!!

Last edited by Ven0m; 12-28-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ven0m
SO I have a bunch of questions some are totally different from the others so here they are, and im sorry in advance just want to make sure i know as much about my truck as possible. and also to make sure i have my facts straight.
Ok so to start I own a 1989 Toyota pickup DLX model with the 22re more information can be located in my signature
So here is the list... sorry again.
1.What generation would my toy be?
2.Would my truck still be a "hilux" in the us? because some places list it as a hilux and some as a pickup, ( i know they are virtually the same)
3. The differential was replaced by some knuckle heads at the local mechanic shops and it blew up, needless to say i no longer go there and work on my own truck, BUT I was told it was replaced with a "equivilent" junk yard "unit"and was basically the same. from what little research i have done i am pretty sure it had the same 4.10 gears and that it is an OPEN diff. 4.10 by identifying the diff with X amount of heat sinks (slits on the side of the diff) and OPEN because as i turn one wheel on the lift and the other one spins in the opposite direction. so as a question in a question 1.could i be correct about the 4.10 and that it is an open diff? (because while i was at autozone an employee told me my thinking was wrong and that it could possibly be a LSD (i highly dought that). and 2# can i safely replace the diff fluid, and what gear oil would be recommenced. the reason i ask if it is safe is because the oil is SLIGHTLY sparkly and blackened after only about 4000k which throws a red flag for me, and i don't want to replace the fluid and have my diff blow up again because: from what i know for EX when you run a auto trans with the same fluid for 200k miles and replace it, the transmission could slip because it is used to the thinker fluid that you replaced because it contained the little bits and piece of the transmission as it weared away making the fluid thicker.) i dont want to replace it and have that be the case

SO again to reiterate in Question 3. 1. Is it safe to say i have an open diff with 4.10 gears and can i safely replace my diff fluid (I REALLY WANT TO!!!)

4. And my final question goes to the instrument cluster for as long as i got my hands on the truck from my dad i have wanted the SR5 cluster with the tach i just love the look of it, that being said i can find many on ebay( but they seem way to expensive from 120 to 300 dollars) and they never show up at the local junkyard.
So basically my question for this one is What is a good price range for a SR5 Cluster, and what are the question to ask if i do find one/ or if any one here has one i know i need to ask if it has a cable speedo or not but anything else? also is there a guarantee that i will have stock wiring for the tach hookup if i do find a cluster? i don't know if it is hit or miss for this year..

Sorry for all the questions but i hope you guys can help me!, thanks in advance!

3. You should have 4.56 gears with the 5sp manual transmission. If you really do have a 4.10 gears (auto transmission gears) you might think about changing them. You're not going to ever be able to run tires bigger than 31", unless you don't mind.

4. Yeah, they go fast and are in high demand for the reasons you mentioned. Junkyard and Ebay are the only places I know of. You might read up on the cluster swap more and decide if you still want to do it: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...w-pics-179106/
Old 12-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
3. You should have 4.56 gears with the 5sp manual transmission.
Are you sure about that, chief?

I'm pretty sure the stock gearing on that year with manual tranny is 4:10. At least it is for the V6/3VZE.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
3. You should have 4.56 gears with the 5sp manual transmission. If you really do have a 4.10 gears (auto transmission gears) you might think about changing them. You're not going to ever be able to run tires bigger than 31", unless you don't mind.

4. Yeah, they go fast and are in high demand for the reasons you mentioned. Junkyard and Ebay are the only places I know of. You might read up on the cluster swap more and decide if you still want to do it: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...w-pics-179106/
My door would say otherwise my sticker on the door says i have 4.10 gears stock.
and yes i read that thread that's the number one reason i wanted to do it so bad!!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Are you sure about that, chief?

I'm pretty sure the stock gearing on that year with manual tranny is 4:10. At least it is for the V6/3VZE.

Learn something new every day.

Why'd they put 4.10's on a MT? Doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 AM

thanks again for all the help again guys, but also what kind of gear oil do you guys use? 75w-90? 80w-90? or even 90w-90 i actually saw this as the recommended oil for this diff, but im leaning towards 75w-90...
Old 12-29-2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ven0m
thanks again for all the help again guys, but also what kind of gear oil do you guys use? 75w-90? 80w-90? or even 90w-90 i actually saw this as the recommended oil for this diff, but im leaning towards 75w-90...
Well, if you're gonna dunk or mud it often, just GL5, 75/90 is good. Wallymart type. If you're not a swamp kind of person, get some better synthetic GL5. GL4 is recommended in the trans, but the tcase will use GL5, so most run GL5 75/90 everywhere. The SR5 cluster swap is cake. Takes an hour-ish, once you've got everything ready. Odo swap and tach tweaking is the slow part. Got mine off CL, was $30, I think.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by combatcarl
Well, if you're gonna dunk or mud it often, just GL5, 75/90 is good. Wallymart type. If you're not a swamp kind of person, get some better synthetic GL5. GL4 is recommended in the trans, but the tcase will use GL5, so most run GL5 75/90 everywhere. The SR5 cluster swap is cake. Takes an hour-ish, once you've got everything ready. Odo swap and tach tweaking is the slow part. Got mine off CL, was $30, I think.
geezzzz i wish i could find a cluster that cheap , where the wires for the tach already there?
and so basically just good quality 75w-90 synthetic?
Old 12-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Yep. Make sure it's GL5 hypoid gear oil. Syn will hold up a little better, better shear qualities. You can find em cheap. There's seemingly billions of these trucks, 50% had the SR5 package. (Maybe exaggerated) took me a few months of looking, just scan thru Craigslist for 89-95 trucks n 4runners being parted out. Screw yards, they want about a hundred here, too. Shouldn't pay much more than $50. In mine, the wiring was all there. Most will have the wiring. If not, it's a simple fix. The above mentioned SR5 cluster swap thread is good info. But LOTS to read thru.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by combatcarl
Yep. Make sure it's GL5 hypoid gear oil. Syn will hold up a little better, better shear qualities. You can find em cheap. There's seemingly billions of these trucks, 50% had the SR5 package. (Maybe exaggerated) took me a few months of looking, just scan thru Craigslist for 89-95 trucks n 4runners being parted out. Screw yards, they want about a hundred here, too. Shouldn't pay much more than $50. In mine, the wiring was all there. Most will have the wiring. If not, it's a simple fix. The above mentioned SR5 cluster swap thread is good info. But LOTS to read thru.
yep i have read though that thread hundreds of times dreaming of a new cluster
haha and thanks alot im going to go pick some up now and replace it before it gets any worse.
side note, ive read a couple threads on the cluster themselfs... from what im getting as long as it is from a 89-95 pickup/ 4runner it will fit? thanks again for all your help!
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM

So ran down to the store and grabbed some lucus synthetic 75w-90 draining the diff now..... here was the condition of the oil and what came of the magnet on the drain plug.... its basically all black and the drain plug was overflowing with metal sorry for my terrible camera
Multiple Questions, Please Help?-img_20131229_115422.jpg
Multiple Questions, Please Help?-img_20131229_115452.jpg
Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 PM

So, let the diff drain for a couple of hours, went to check if the bottle would fit in the hole and the cap fell in. needless to say a vacuum and airlines couldn't get it out. so i will be out of commission until i can call a mechanic with a snake that will make a house call... and whoever had this diff before me welded the cover on the non drive-shaft side... thanks for that :ugh:
so overall dont put the bottle in with the cap on to check fitmint... foolish mistake on my part.
BUT thanks again guys for all your help as soon as i get the cap out we will be 4x4'in once again!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM

Well that's sucky. Just plastic, though. All these rear diffs are that way. They're a third member design, so the access is thru the front, by removing the differential carrier. Waaaaay easier to regear, just swap in a third with the ratio of choice. Like an old ford 8 or 9 inch, way better than integral carriers. May be a good bet to run some cheap gear oil for a few hundred miles before putting in the good stuff. Just so you're not draining out your brand new oil in 300 miles... And yeah. As long as its from an 89-95 truck/4runner, it fits.

Last edited by combatcarl; 12-29-2013 at 06:06 PM.