Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MPG with 86 xtra cab Long box 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Haha yea just a little off track . The radio looked kind of odd sitting on the desk, but the next photo with it lit up it looks good. My dad had a radio that looked kind of similar with the short throw push buttons but were smaller and in black. If I remember right it lit up in an amber/orange color and had presets for 1-6. in a 2x3 grid. Looks like you have carpeted interior, was your truck a SR5? All of the 86's I've had (5 or so) were vinyl.

Anyway to get back on topic, and news that i hope is accurate and kind of excites me for the 4runner project... I met a guy today with a T100 2wd long box automatic with the 2.7L engine, and he said he gets around 26mpg out of it. I think 25mpg out of the 4runner should be very possible compared to his results .

Old 10-03-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by atcfixer
Anyway to get back on topic, and news that i hope is accurate and kind of excites me for the 4runner project... I met a guy today with a T100 2wd long box automatic with the 2.7L engine, and he said he gets around 26mpg out of it. I think 25mpg out of the 4runner should be very possible compared to his results .
Sounds like a plan! I will be looking forward to your project.

No, my truck is not an SR5. My guess is that the carpet was part of the "Limited Edition" free options package because I have everything from this commercial:

Old 10-03-2016, 11:19 PM

Ahh I see, maybe it was an 87 thing, I've never owned a 87/88 yet, only a TON of 86's. Next gen up I've had (or have) every year. Getting close on the Tacoma side too, I have had 95-99 trucks so far.

For giggles, I poked around ecomodder to see what the people there can get out of a 2.7L in the Tacoma. Pretty impressed to see one guy getting 40mpg+ with a flat bed with minimum mods, mainly driving habits. He also had a 4x4 3.4L tacoma getting around 30mpg before the more extreme mods (air dam, belly pan and such). I'd be willing to drive a 2wd pickup and replace my corolla if the pickup got 35+ mpg with my driving habits. I just need seating for 3-4 people though (aka why I went for the 4runner).

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...dge-31558.html

Looked for a few more and seems to be a common thing, around 25-30mpg for a 2wd tacoma with the 2.7L and manual trans. Changed the search to 4runners and didn't see anything over 22mpg lol. There was a lot less results though.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think a big difference in overall fuel economy between 2wd pickups and 4runners is that you just won't find as many 4runner owners interested in that sort of thing. I'd bet they drive more aggressively and with more aftermarket stuff (bumpers, winches, light bars, sliders, racks, oversized aggressive tires, etc.) affecting wind-resistance, weight and rolling resistance.

​​​​​I've noticed that owners who haven't done any mods are less likely to rebuild their engines back to "like new" condition, so their worn engines aren't making power and mpg like they used to.

It all makes it harder to predict the results of what you're trying to achieve. Like I said before, I believe with a healthy 2.7 in an un-modded first gen with efficient tires and your driving habits, you'll get over 25mpg on highways. I'm curious to see what you'll get.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:07 PM

There is probably something to that. I very rarely see 4runners listed in poor shape for being parted out etc, but I've picked up tons of trucks. The 86 4runner I got from a wanted listing for when I was trying to replace my yard truck (still don't have one lol). I have another 94 4runner with a blown head gasket on a 3.0L and that is my whole 4runner experience/ownership. I'd love to find more of them though, I believe the 1st gens were more common with the top shift transfer case and the 3rd gens with their coil spring rear end setup is nice for flex and ride quality. Would love to build a hybrid off roader some day based on land cruiser axles (front and rear electronic lockers) with the coil spring rear end suspension off a 3rd gen 4runner, and torsion bars for the front like the pre tacoma trucks.

My 4runner will likely get some aftermarket stuff like a light bar and probably a home built front bumper with wench, but I don't off road *that* often to really need it. I very rarely get stuck with good tires, not trying to say I'm the best driver or anything, but I'm better than the "average" driver I've off-roaded with. Most just get into the mud or on a hill, then floor it and get buried, or atleast it seems that way.

Wish I could snap my fingers and have the truck together lol. Likely my first experience will be with a tacoma 4x4 with a 2.7L my dad will be driving to take his T100 off the road. He drives similar as me, but faster so atleast should give an ok base line. The truck is higher geared though, and is a W59 trans while I'll probably be sticking with the automatic since it will be easiest that way with the ecu I have for it. T100 transfer case will be the key for making that work, hopefully the drive shaft flanges are close to the factory location.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
Sounds like a plan! I will be looking forward to your project.

No, my truck is not an SR5. My guess is that the carpet was part of the "Limited Edition" free options package because I have everything from this commercial:

1987 Toyota Trucks Commercial - YouTube

Wow really wish auto manufactures still made bare bone trucks like that.