86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

motor is toast. happy new year!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
motor is toast. happy new year!

well, just when i thought '09 had kicked my butt enough, it had to get one more shot square in the cojones before it rolled out for good.

last nite after going to a movie, i came out to have the truck idling horribly at about 400 rpm and stumbling. i figured i'd have it towed since i have free tow with AAA. (i recommend AAA plus membership to anyone. it pays for itself) anyway,
the shop did a compression test and found zero (make that 40lbs) on the #3. they said it was leaking to the crankshaft (make that crankcase), so they suspect a broken ring. i don't know enough about engine guts to agree or argue it.

i do know that when i had the top end redone for the HG repair a year ago, that the tech then said the bottom end had already been redone and was 40 over.

so i'm suspecting this motor is finally done.

suddenly all the other stuff i've been working to repair has dropped in priority.

now i'm not sure what to do. i welcome your opinions since i haven't really thought about it because i've been drinking alot to keep it from ruining my holiday.

here's what i think my options are:

1. cut my losses. part the truck out. it's a clean body with a great interior and lots of new parts from the past year.

2. sell my motorcycle and buy a nice motor to drop in now. the only way i could afford an engine swap now. i'm freakin' broke from all the repairs i've done in the last month. this idea sux but sometimes your choices are made for you.

3. sit on it for a while, try to score a decent engine cheap to drop in. ride the cycle rain or snow 'til it's done. this is a hard road to hike but can be done. catch is trying to find a motor swap plan that i won't regret. i'm not a winner when i gamble.

4. drive it on 3 cyl til it blows out the block. ha. i have no idea what the consequences would be. sounds stupid tho.

i already looked online for motors. there's lots of 22re options on fleabay. i don't trust chinese new blocks. i could pick up a JDM import motor and hope it's not a roach. there's importers here in Atlanta i could pick up locally. possibly a japanese market turbo diesel. can that be converted to bio diesel? that would be interesting. or stupid.

i could swap in something else than a 22re. GM 3.8, Lexus V8 or V6 (which requires premium, not what i want) find a better toy motor (newer taco?) or something else altogether.

i can't even think about it right now. i don't know why the motor would fail now. makes no sense to me.

any suggestions welcome. i'm really bummed right now. i just took a $500 loan YESTERDAY to complete the work in progress on suspension upgrades. now that money will go to finding a motor.

happy new year y'all. hope you're feeling better than i am right now.
tj

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 01-01-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your best bet, money-wise, is to keep the 22re. Rebuild or drop in another motor
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
Your best bet, money-wise, is to keep the 22re. Rebuild or drop in another motor
agreed... best choice for your wallet. i've heard of people taking 22re's all the way out to 50 over but idk if this is true.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:08 AM

you said it was an '09, where's the warranty? or did you mean 89 hence the 22re?
Old 01-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Contributing Member

he was saying the year of '09 kicked his butt. not the truck.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:40 AM

oregon engine rebuilders has good rebuilt 22re's for around $1100 I believe with a lifetime warranty. They are on ebay.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and relatively low mileage 85-95 22re's from the salvage yard... from vehicles obviously sidelined from collisions...
that's an option too, and likely in the 400-800 range.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by pruney81
oregon engine rebuilders has good rebuilt 22re's for around $1100 I believe with a lifetime warranty. They are on ebay.
x2 that's where I got my engine

since you top end is fine just get a short block
Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Oeri sells just a short block? I would go with Oregon engines or abe's idea. Sounds like the 2 best options.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:31 AM

look on craigs list your bound to find a engine for under 500. bucks

i got a engine under 100k for only $250.00 so i said the hell with rebuilding thats down the road
Old 01-01-2010, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
Oeri sells just a short block? I would go with Oregon engines or abe's idea. Sounds like the 2 best options.
not sure if they list a short block but I bet you could call them up and get one made
Old 01-01-2010, 08:21 AM

check out these sites here

http://www.engnbldr.com/

http://www.22reperformance.com/Home%...20Engines.html

http://www.lcengineering.com/

you should be able to find what your looking for
Old 01-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
well, just when i thought '09 had kicked my butt enough, it had to get one more shot square in the cojones before it rolled out for good.

last nite after going to a movie, i came out to have the truck idling horribly at about 400 rpm and stumbling. i figured i'd have it towed since i have free tow with AAA. (i recommend AAA plus membership to anyone. it pays for itself) anyway,
the shop did a compression test and found zero on the #3. they said it was leaking to the crankshaft, so they suspect a broken ring. i don't know enough about engine guts to agree or argue it.

i do know that when i had the top end redone for the HG repair a year ago, that the tech then said the bottom end had already been redone and was 40 over.

so i'm suspecting this motor is finally done.

suddenly all the other stuff i've been working to repair has dropped in priority.

now i'm not sure what to do. i welcome your opinions since i haven't really thought about it because i've been drinking alot to keep it from ruining my holiday.

here's what i think my options are:

1. cut my losses. part the truck out. it's a clean body with a great interior and lots of new parts from the past year.

2. sell my motorcycle and buy a nice motor to drop in now. the only way i could afford an engine swap now. i'm freakin' broke from all the repairs i've done in the last month. this idea sux but sometimes your choices are made for you.

3. sit on it for a while, try to score a decent engine cheap to drop in. ride the cycle rain or snow 'til it's done. this is a hard road to hike but can be done. catch is trying to find a motor swap plan that i won't regret. i'm not a winner when i gamble.

4. drive it on 3 cyl til it blows out the block. ha. i have no idea what the consequences would be. sounds stupid tho.

i already looked online for motors. there's lots of 22re options on fleabay. i don't trust chinese new blocks. i could pick up a JDM import motor and hope it's not a roach. there's importers here in Atlanta i could pick up locally. possibly a japanese market turbo diesel. can that be converted to bio diesel? that would be interesting. or stupid.

i could swap in something else than a 22re. GM 3.8, Lexus V8 or V6 (which requires premium, not what i want) find a better toy motor (newer taco?) or something else altogether.

i can't even think about it right now. i don't know why the motor would fail now. makes no sense to me.

any suggestions welcome. i'm really bummed right now. i just took a $500 loan YESTERDAY to complete the work in progress on suspension upgrades. now that money will go to finding a motor.

happy new year y'all. hope you're feeling better than i am right now.
tj

if you want to put a diesel in your truck go to http://toyotadiesel.com/

and talk to the guys that have already done it...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Before you get too depressed, you need to find out why the compression dropped to zero. Could be a valve issue. A broken ring, usually, will still show some compression.
X2 on this idea.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:03 AM

did u pull the valve cover off yet.. ?
Old 01-01-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
more info on engine failure

Originally Posted by abecedarian
and relatively low mileage 85-95 22re's from the salvage yard... from vehicles obviously sidelined from collisions...
that's an option too, and likely in the 400-800 range.
ok, I was able to read the work order comments when I retrieved the trk today. Says it was 155-170 for 1,2, and 4, but 3 was leaking down to 40. They said it was leaking to the crankcase and is most likely a bad ring. This does not surprise me in that the motor had a full rebuild before I bought it, and I redid the top end when I got it 2 yrs ago. So I consider this motor done. I will salvage the head cuz I know it's condtion from my rebuild. But I have always had a lurking suspicion I shouldn't have rebuit on top of that block since the week after I got it done.

anyway, i'm surprise the majority consensus is to stick w/ the 22re. Shouldn't I take the opportunity to upsize to a taco motor maybe? I do like the diesel idea, thx for that link. There are a few jdm engine importers in this area so I could find something nice.

also locally, on atlanta craigslist, a lexus recycler is advertising several complete engines right now. So I have to weigh my options.

I can probly sell my new BFG A/Ts on soft 8s, and my canback, and maybe scrounge up a grand to go towards a motor purchase.

I got a lot of thinking to do.

thanx so far y'all. More opinions are welcome. I don't have anyone to kick this around with. Everyone I know thinks i'm nuts to keep a 20 yr old truck.

they just don't understand.

Last edited by tj884Rdlx; 01-01-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM

look at craigslist out state.. your bound to find a engine under 500.00 with driving cost you probely only be around 700.00 total..
Old 01-01-2010, 12:07 PM

I would be a little sketched out buy a motor on craigslist without being able to see it run. My sister in laws bf bought one for $500, never saw it run, installed it and fired it up, it just poured oil everywhere and crapped out. The guy wouldn't answer his phone, and he didn't have anymore money to pursue the matter.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:42 PM

well i picked my from a guy i only paid 250.00 for it.. had under 100k.. the guy had his own car shop, you can tell when you talk to people.. if they blowing smoke up your butt.
the more you know the more power you will have... if a rebuild is what your set on doing.. then do it, but do it right... dont do a half job on this project. you will on result in half butt results and you well end up spending more money..

iam sure if you got a engine of craigs list crooke's are always out there..
if i was big brother i would handle that guy the ripped your sister off.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 PM

Wasn't my sister, her bf. Not to keen on the guy. He can stand up for himself.

and it was at least a year before they started dating....

Quick Reply: motor is toast. happy new year!