Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Moog warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Moog warranty

Anyone dealt with Moog's warranty department before? I have a worn tie rod end that was replaced by an alignment shop back in '02. They say I have to come back into the shop and will get the part for free but the labor will not be. Problem is that I have moved and am now over 200 miles away so this is not an option. Wondering if Moog will let me go to the parts shop and grab a new one of if they'll tell me to pound sand. It sounds like Moog has gone downhill bigtime in the past few years. Their customer service dept is closed for the weekend so I have to wait until Monday before I find out. I'd like to get this done now if I have to pay for it myself.

EDIT: maybe this isn't the best section for this question, but it is on my 92 pickup

Last edited by Brendan; 08-24-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 04:46 PM
RSR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moog's largely made in china. If you're paying for the work, I'd spend a couple bucks on a better part instead of the same POS. Replacing the TRE is only about a 20 min job with proper tools (a tie rod end puller, not pickle fork, the TRE puller is a smaller version of the pitman arm puller), and 5 of that is removing your front rockguard. However, you'll also have to pay for an alignment and that's where they'll really get you.

I really like the Deeza TREs. For the price of one alignment, you can replace all of your TREs (buy them online for big savings over shop!) and only have to bite the alignment bullet once. If one failed, the rest aren't too far behind it.

Do note that some shops like Firestone have lifetime alignments (however long YOU own the vehicle) they sell. I paid $150 for mine and it's already paid for itself...
Old 08-24-2013, 08:17 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Use white out or a paint pen and mark where the TRE threads ended. Then put new TRE on same spot. Also if your not saving the TRE I wouldnt worry about damaging the old one-smack it out with a hammer if you gotta.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Don`t waste your time just go get a new one and put it on.

It will be less frustrating in the long one.

I have changed quite a few without needing to get an alignment.

I am still looking for a good alignment shop the last few I have talked to said we don`t have information for vehicles that old so we can`t do it.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RSR
Moog's largely made in china. If you're paying for the work, I'd spend a couple bucks on a better part instead of the same POS. Replacing the TRE is only about a 20 min job with proper tools (a tie rod end puller, not pickle fork, the TRE puller is a smaller version of the pitman arm puller), and 5 of that is removing your front rockguard. However, you'll also have to pay for an alignment and that's where they'll really get you.

I really like the Deeza TREs. For the price of one alignment, you can replace all of your TREs (buy them online for big savings over shop!) and only have to bite the alignment bullet once. If one failed, the rest aren't too far behind it.

Do note that some shops like Firestone have lifetime alignments (however long YOU own the vehicle) they sell. I paid $150 for mine and it's already paid for itself...
Thanks for the info. I looked for the deeza parts online, but not seeing many options and even fewer that ship to Canada and zero that have reasonable shipping/importing rates.

I can get spicer parts up here which I believe were a quality name, but I've heard are now owned by raybestos. Are they still decent?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I would try to get a "555" Sankei branded tie rod. Made in Japan, basically an OEM part since they essentially made them for Toyota = better than anything made of cheap Chinese steel. I believe Beck Arnley and a few others rebox these with their name on the box.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Do you mean to tell me that Moog offers a better than 10 year/100,000 mile warranty? Certainly not lifetime right? Either way, how the hell do they keep from losing money hand-over-fist? Their products aren't that good. IMO, they suck. I would never buy anything branded Moog. Needless to say, I'm shocked your TREs lasted so long. You must be a pretty tame driver(no offense).

Anywho, Raybestos Professional grade(as opposed to Service grade) parts are top notch. As good as, or better than, anything else out there...IMO. If I can't get 555, they're next on my list for sure. And so far as I've been able to tell, they haven't changed a thing on the parts that used to be sold under the Spicer name. Up to and including the continuation of both the Service grade and Professional grade lines(which was exactly how the Spicer parts were sold). Meaning, AFAIK, they're the exact same parts. They just come in a Raybestos box now.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 PM
RSR

2nd the Raybestos professional line for steering/suspension. Bought my pitman replacement from Raybestos professional and it was Sankei 555 for about 2/3rds of the price of buying 555 boxed... Have had similarly good experiences w/ Raybestos Pro parts on my wife's car.

RockAuto is where I bought my Deeza TREs, and they ship internationally.

The only thing about the whiteout is that not all manufacturers' are exactly in spec... It'l get you close, but shouldn't be considered aligned. Especially if your tires are on the newer side, get aligned...

Last edited by RSR; 08-25-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Do you mean to tell me that Moog offers a better than 10 year/100,000 mile warranty? Certainly not lifetime right? Either way, how the hell do they keep from losing money hand-over-fist? Their products aren't that good. IMO, they suck. I would never buy anything branded Moog. Needless to say, I'm shocked your TREs lasted so long. You must be a pretty tame driver(no offense).
The truck gets driven far less than average. Since I bought it in '99, I've put only about 70,000 miles on it.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Funny Moog used to be the go to suspension parts .

Used to be a sponsor of my friends C Super modified Camaro

just the way things change as real Car people in management are replaced by profit over quality.

This was back in the early seventies
Old 09-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

I purchased a raybestos professional outer tie rod end. When threaded into the sleeve, the stud won't pass through the steering knuckle. The angle of the stud is different from the angle of the knuckle and will only pass about 1/2 way through. I'd have to beat the crap out of it and probably ruin the threads for it to work. Defective part or something else?

Last edited by Brendan; 09-11-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:04 PM
RSR

Try inserting from both top and bottom? They're only meant to fit one way.

Also, sure you ordered 2wd/4wd version, correct one for your truck? Think they're slightly different.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
They both insert from the top. And as far as I can tell, they are the exact same part for 2WD or 4WD. Same part number.

It sounds like you might be able to thread the nut on and pull it the rest of the way through by tightening it. They're supposed to be a pretty tight fit. But if that's not seeming like a possibility, maybe you were sent the wrong part.

The Raybestos part # I come up with as correct for your 92 is 401-1249. Does it say that's what you've got anywhere on the packaging or receipt?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MudHippy
They both insert from the top. And as far as I can tell, they are the exact same part for 2WD or 4WD. Same part number.

It sounds like you might be able to thread the nut on and pull it the rest of the way through by tightening it. They're supposed to be a pretty tight fit. But if that's not seeming like a possibility, maybe you were sent the wrong part.

The Raybestos part # I come up with as correct for your 92 is 401-1249. Does it say that's what you've got anywhere on the packaging or receipt?
That is the part number that I have according to the receipt. I'm still about 1/4"-1/2" away from getting the threads through the other side before I'd be able to to try to get the nut to bite.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Contributing Member

I got the tie rod stud to pass through with a few good hammer knocks. The lock nut is fastened and everything looks done, but the boot on the tie rod end is squished because of the angle it is on. You can see the difference between the the tie rod end and the steering knuckle - is this caused by my torsion bar lift?

Last edited by Brendan; 09-15-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:48 PM
RSR

Why did you take your tire off to replace your TRE? Put the tire back on and the angle will decrease.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RSR
Why did you take your tire off to replace your TRE? Put the tire back on and the angle will decrease.
I switched around my front tires cuz of the uneven wear caused by the tie-rods. They're back on now and yes the angle did decrease, but not by much. The boot is still pretty squished.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
looks fine to me since the rig's off the ground. once you put tire on and back on the ground the angle will be less. if it's not much, then you may have to much t-bar crank up front. remember that if you mess with it you should technically get another alignment