Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

MkII supra irs in 1988 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MkII supra irs in 1988 4x4

Im wanting to convert my bone stock 88 truck to full independent suspension using the rear assembly from a mkII supra for the sole purpose of (eventually) making it a wrx eater.
Im curious to what all needs done to put six lug hubs on a supra rearend and if the rearend is strong enough to handle rally driving.
Btw i know im crazy lol.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Yoursfalsely
Im wanting to convert my bone stock 88 truck to full independent suspension using the rear assembly from a mkII supra for the sole purpose of (eventually) making it a wrx eater.
Im curious to what all needs done to put six lug hubs on a supra rearend and if the rearend is strong enough to handle rally driving.
Btw i know im crazy lol.
I have thought the same thing...Considering i have a parts MkIII supra in my garage for my 7mgte swap...You say MkII but i think you mean MKIII.

These MKIII supra's are a heavy, tough beast of a car. Toyota used to Rally one in the late 1980's and early 90's.

It would be a tough swap with lots of modifications obviously. good thing is you have plenty of room in the rear of your truck to let your imagination run wild.

The one thing i cant really see how you solve is ride height. The supra rear end sits a little bit lower (a lota bit) than the pickup...

If you really want to do this swap, I can sell you the whole rear end of my supra (Minus the Limited Slip differential) so you can do it.

Where are you located?
Old 02-18-2015, 11:53 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
try this:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ng-sfa-217670/

look up supralux

Problem will be adapting hubs for 6-lugs, not to mention the amazing amount of work to make an IRS.

WRX has a much lower center of gravity, for all that work why not just get closer to a trophy truck, or desert racer or KOH car....120mph then crawl rocks.

Hi-speed requires uptravel, not a whole lot of travel in a Supra IRS
Old 02-18-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by wagigknp

I have thought the same thing...Considering i have a parts MkIII supra in my garage for my 7mgte swap...You say MkII but i think you mean MKIII.

These MKIII supra's are a heavy, tough beast of a car. Toyota used to Rally one in the late 1980's and early 90's.

It would be a tough swap with lots of modifications obviously. good thing is you have plenty of room in the rear of your truck to let your imagination run wild.

The one thing i cant really see how you solve is ride height. The supra rear end sits a little bit lower (a lota bit) than the pickup...

If you really want to do this swap, I can sell you the whole rear end of my supra (Minus the Limited Slip differential) so you can do it.

Where are you located?
Im in east tennessee where are you?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the help guys this would be my first real project and i know that its not a good idea nor a cheap one but i really want to try it.

Another thing i just thought of, anybody have a clue as to about how much less available travel there is in the supra suspension compared to the front suspension in my truck? If they have the same ring, pinion, and diff, does that mean the cv's are the same size? Meaning that they could travel equal amounts safely?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:37 PM

I'm in Washington state...

No idea on suspension travel...your on your own for that.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM

Darn. There is no way im getting that supra stuff from you. I guess im gonna have to find another one. And unfortunately there arent very many of them down here.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:56 PM

Just imagine how much of a monster this truck could be with a 3rz on 25lbs of boost, lowered an inch or so, two inches wider than stock, in 4-HI, blasting down mountain roads at a million miles an hour 😵😈😍
Old 02-18-2015, 02:21 PM

Just imagine how much of a monster this truck could be with a 3rz on 25lbs of boost, lowered an inch or so, two inches wider than stock, in 4-HI, blasting down mountain roads at a million miles an hour 😵😈😍
My buddy has a 7mgte swap (supra turbo engine from the MKIII). puts down 300+hp easy. Thing is quick. He 'raced' a 2015 Subaru WRX. Was side by side the whole time. That's the swap i am currently doing.

Honestly though, Not sure it's worth all the effort to do IRS...Just do a turbo engine swap and go from there. The good thing about my swap is I have Supra gearing, much more suited to rally/street driving than the truck transmission.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Was your buddies truck 4wd? I thought of a 2jz motor swap but didnt thing there was a 4wd transmission that bolted to it.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Was your buddies truck 4wd? I thought of a 2jz motor swap but didnt thing there was a 4wd transmission that bolted to it.
Yes, 4wd burn outs in 1,2, and 3rd gears is great (and a little scary).
To do a 2jz, 1jz of 7mgte swap you have a few options.

You can get an R150f transmission from a 1996 or later pickup. You can get an adaptor plate from marlin crawler that allows you to use the same transfer case (pre 1996 transfer cases send the front drive shaft down passenger side, post 1996 it goes down driver side).
You can also get an R150f transmission and R154 transmission. Tear both apart, Use the gears of the R154, input shaft of the R154, and output shaft of the R150, put all that in the R150f case. (this is what i did).
LAstly, you could get a modified R154 bell housing which has been cut and rewelded, this shortens it which allows the R150f input shaft to fit the new engine. You have to use a different clutch setup though, I think from a w58 (or w56).

You bolt up the engine with an R154 bell housing in all cases and use the R154 clutch in most cases.

Also, If you have an 22re engine truck, You can get a W58 bellhousing from a 7mge supra (or cressida) and it will bolt directly to the truck transmission and engine. You use a W58 clutch in this case. However, Expect that transmission to blow up, especially in 5th gear.

Lots more info in my build thread, see in my signature.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:02 PM

Ok. I do have a 22re 5spd manual can you tell me what transmission i have? Its a base model truck if that matters
Old 02-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Ok. I do have a 22re 5spd manual can you tell me what transmission i have? Its a base model truck if that matters
You have the W56 transmission. You can bolt up a 7mge, 7mgte, 1JZ, 2JZ engines easily with a W58 transmission bell housing. You would use a W58 clutch.

This is considered the "easy" swap. When you see "7mgte swap threads" you are usually dealing with this setup. You can use 5mge engine mounts and with a slight body lift it will bolt in. You will have clearance issues up front with the radiator though (i Think). I think most people just put the radiator out front, cutting the stock grill.

It's a pretty cheap swap as you dont need a whole lot of fab work, drive lines, or other stuff. But....that w56 transmission has a hard time staying together with that much power. Also, I had the 7mge Supra growing up...and that clutch slipped under heavy load. That was with a non turbo engine...so you will likely need a stage 2 or 3 clutch to reliably grab.

All in all though, it's going to work. You will prob be able to sell it for a fair amount too, assuming you do decent work, and buy your next project!
Old 02-18-2015, 03:35 PM

Heck yeah! Bolt on hp. Im in lol. Thanks for giving me so much information. Im definately doing the 7m swap now especially since my 22re has a blown headgasket anyways.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 PM

Heck yeah! Bolt on hp. Im in lol. Thanks for giving me so much information. Im definately doing the 7m swap now especially since my 22re has a blown headgasket anyways.
Ya. I put in a fair amount of time researching...One word of advice, and i cannot stress this enough...BUY A FULL CAR FOR THE SWAP. I'm serious. Buy a full Turbo Supra, Running or not. 7mgte's are pretty simple to rebuild if its a non runner. in my area, checking Craigslist daily, i would expect to get a non running 7mgte complete car for 1k, give or take. You should be able to part out the stuff you dont need for $500 at least, then scrap the rest for another couple hundred bucks. If you can afford it, even going up to 2500 or 3k for a good runner is probably worth it.

You will need so many little things, like the throttle cable, ignitor, ecu, wiring harness, in pre 1990's the altitude sensor, and the list goes on. With a full car you have absolutely every part you will need, parts which get tough to find and get $$ as you find them.

Also, Turbo Supra's all come with Limited Slip Differentials, you can put them directly in your truck! That's $350 value right off the bat! (non turbo's dont have the LSD.)
Old 02-18-2015, 03:59 PM

Yep thats what im doing haha. As for the radiator ill just put it in the bed, it will stay cooler anyways. So whats the deal with the motor mounts? Do i need to weld the 5m mounts in or will the bolt up? (I dont have a welder)

Last edited by Yoursfalsely; 02-18-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:43 PM

Yep thats what im doing haha. As for the radiator ill just put it in the bed, it will stay cooler anyways. So whats the deal with the motor mounts? Do i need to weld the 5m mounts in or will the bolt up? (I dont have a welder)
I think the 5m mounts bolt up. But I hear they are hard to track down...
Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you do this please share the build progress with photos. Very interesting.