Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

***Missfire***

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***Missfire***

i have a 87 4runner with a fresh 22rte engine. I have been chasing this misfire that happens between 2500 and 3000 rpm for some time now.
The engine has less than 3000 miles on it, new fuel pump and filter, cleaned and flowed injectors, new tps, cap, rotor, plugs, wires. I have traced all the wires from afm and tps to ecu checked out ok. even tried another ecu and afm. the only thing left to try is o2 sensor. i have had a a/f meter hooked up to it and the ratios have been good until the missfire than it goes lean which was leading me to think it was a fuel problem. it is even happens in 5th gear on the freeway. very irratating,dang missfire.
any sugestions or helpful opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hard luck
i have a 87 4runner with a fresh 22rte engine. I have been chasing this misfire that happens between 2500 and 3000 rpm for some time now.
The engine has less than 3000 miles on it, new fuel pump and filter, cleaned and flowed injectors, new tps, cap, rotor, plugs, wires. I have traced all the wires from afm and tps to ecu checked out ok. even tried another ecu and afm. the only thing left to try is o2 sensor. i have had a a/f meter hooked up to it and the ratios have been good until the missfire than it goes lean which was leading me to think it was a fuel problem. it is even happens in 5th gear on the freeway. very irratating,dang missfire.
any sugestions or helpful opinions are greatly appreciated.
did you set the TPS to spec?
Old 12-02-2007, 07:00 AM

Pull all the spark plugs and inspect them under a magnifying glass. I have seem this exact problem caused by a cracked porcelain that wasn't noticeable with the naked eye.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:34 AM

thanks for the replies but,yes i set the tps to spec and i have i have tried 2 different sets of plugs. any other ideas?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo is sucking coolant into the intake and causing misfire. There is an internal leak from the cooling line inside the turbo. What is the status of the CT20, is it old?

Is your overflow slowly going down? That is a sure sign.