Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Metal Trim Around Sunroof Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal Trim Around Sunroof Replacement?

Hey guys,

Took my 91 SR5 4x4 PU to get the hood and top painted. The sunroof I have has a black painted strip of metal (looks like rubber) running around the "hole" of the sunroof. The guy said they had to remove this trim to paint the top, or the paint would peel at the seam (where it meets the trim) after x amount of time. So I said ok.

The guy calls a day later and says the trim was cemented on, rather than put on with silicone sealer, so they were going to have to basically ruin it to get it off. (But hadn't yet.) I asked if it can be replaced, and he said yes, he already called Toy and the part was $55. I said ok.

I get a call the next day that the part Toy sent was the rubber gasket that fits on the glass of the sunroof itself, and that the metal trim he REALLY wanted is not sold sep, but as part of the sunroof assembly, and would cost $600. (My sunroof is perfect, never leaks, isn't rusted, and I had my headliner rebuilt when I got the truck, so I don't need a new sunroof. Plus it is costing me $1300 to get the top and hood sanded and painted to match the rest of the truck, which is red/metal.) So he said they have to pound the piece they took off, back into shape.

I don't see how that can work. And each day he has lamented they can't get it to be flat. (No surprise there.) Supposedly it will be done tomorrow, but I have a feeling he is going to tell me that they couldn't get it back to like it originally was, and is going to expect me to live with it, since I am not going the $600 route.

I considered a junk yard, but I am a woman and can't rip cemented metal trim off a roof, even if I found a yard willing to sell that trim. And I know the paint place won't send someone to do that.

If I could find this part cheap enough, I'd buy it and have the paint place put it on when I get it. They might do that since this was their fault for not being clear with Toyota about what part they needed before they ripped this one off. Anyone know where I might find this part, aside from a JY?