86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Metal found in rear end gear oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal found in rear end gear oil change

So I've been working on some maintenance items with my '88 pickup and last weekend I was changing the gear oil in the rear end. The oil itself looked fine but there was a metal flake and some shavings that I found on the drain plug. The flake was about 1/2 the size of my fingernail. The rear end has not been making any noises or odd sounds but does seem to have a bit more play in it when I manually turn the driveshaft.

My concern is that in August I will be taking the truck on several trips from Georgia to New Mexico, then back to Georgia and up to Minnesota and Wisconsin and I've been trying to take care of any mechanical issues that could possibly arise on the trip. As I said, there are no other noises or odd sounds that would clue me into problems in the rear end. I went ahead and put a quart of lucas oil additive in the rear in addition to regular gear oil. Should I be concerned about this finding? Any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thanks in advance,
justin
Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 AM

Some metallic flecs( very small) or "glitter" is normal due to wear and tear on components. Larger pieces of metal could be cause for concern. Was the Large piece brass or copper in color or silver in color ?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM

The large piece that I found was silver or metallic in color, not brass or copper. It was just one piece that was somewhat rounded, not completely flat. The other smaller pieces were probably just glitter; they were small, thin, and linear...almost like a wood splinter.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Sensei
Was the Large piece brass or copper in color or silver in color ?
Dude, this is a differential. Why would anything be brass or copper in color, when there's no brass or copper in there?

As far as whether to be concerned or not about the play and/or the gear tooth chip you found. They're most likely not a huge deal. I'd say you're probably fine just running it like it is.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diffs usually give plenty of warning when they wear out. Howling and whining noises you can't miss.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:43 PM

[quote=MudHippy;51896140]Dude, this is a differential. Why would anything be brass or copper in color, when there's no brass or copper in there?

Wow, thanks for the info... Unlike you I was trying to help him determine the nature of the metal. Thank gawd you put your propeller hat on and determined it was a chipped tooth.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sensei
Wow, thanks for the info... Unlike you I was trying to help him determine the nature of the metal. Thank gawd you put your propeller hat on and determined it was a chipped tooth.
I know you're just trying to help, but if you think there's brass inside a Toyota differential, maybe you shouldn't be giving advice.

x2 on not worrying about it unless it starts making noise.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Every diff will have metal shavings stuck to the plug, thats the reason they are magnetic.

When you take two pieces of metal and use them to turn one another at high speeds and with large forces on them, its a wonder that they don't produce more metal shavings if you ask me.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I wasn't too concerned about the shavings...just the larger flake that looked like it could have been a part of a bearing or casing. Sounds like if there are no obvious noises or sounds then I shouldn't worry. I'm just a little overly cautious as I don't want to have a something go awry and leave me stranded on the side of the road in the middle of west texas or some other remote place. The advice is very much appreciated.

justin
Old 09-20-2018, 01:15 AM

Do i need a new differential

My rear axle seal on my 91 toyota pickup is leaking on one side and when i took off the rear differential drain plug to drain it out and put new gear oil in i found a small spring along with some metal shavings stuck to the magnetic drain plug im planning on getting my axle seal fixed the differential doesnt seem to be making noise but im worryied i might need a new differential
Old 09-20-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by In need of help
My rear axle seal on my 91 toyota pickup is leaking on one side and when i took off the rear differential drain plug to drain it out and put new gear oil in i found a small spring along with some metal shavings stuck to the magnetic drain plug im planning on getting my axle seal fixed the differential doesnt seem to be making noise but im worryied i might need a new differential
Do you have any pictures of what you found?

How fine were the metal shavings?