YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Mechanical Speedo Correction Box - Install with Pics

Not much of an install.

But, I have never seen pictures of these things before on YotaTech, so, since I bought one, I took some pics.

The box is pretty simple, it is a small gear box that you put in line between the transfer case and the speedo cable. I have 5.29's in my rig with 33" tires. This puts my speedo off by about 13%. The gear in my transfer case is the 18 tooth, so, no chance of changing that out, as they only make a small number of gears for it, and 18 is the biggest.

The box that I bought is a .879 reduction unit. Overdrive for the speedo cable. That is as close to .87 (13% reduction) as the gears available for the reduction box allowed.

I bought it from Commercial Speedometer in Sacramento, CA. Chuck at Commercial Speedo was very helpful and he turned it around in a day. I ordered it yesterday, on my doorstep today. Total cost was $95 with shipping and sales tax.

Picture of the reduction box:

Click the image to open in full size.

Picture of the reduction box and the stock speedo gear module that I removed from the transfer case:

Picture of the two screwed together:

Picture of the unit installed:

I took it for a drive on the freeway, works great. There is a construction zone near my house that has a speed check radar sign at the start of the construction zone. I was going 60, it said 59. Good to go.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Downey Headers, Flowmaster 70 series, 5.29 gears, ARB's f/r

Build Thread: http://www.yotatech.com/f191/outlawm...thread-187558/

Last edited by OutlawMike; 11-05-2009 at 09:16 AM.
OutlawMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Contributing Member

Wow, that's pretty impressive actually. I thought I'd just have to live with my speedometer being off by over 26% for the rest of my life. I'll have to look into this product.
1998 Nissan Altima - 5 speed, 1981 280zx turbo snowflake rims.
1985 Toyota Pickup - SR5, 22RE, 5 speed, Xtra cab, lifted 2", 35" boggers, etc - Sold
1983 Datsun 280zx - Turbo Intercooled L28ET - Crushed.
1985 Nissan 300zx - 5 speed, race prepped, etc - Crushed.

IFS Club #7
turboboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

Thanks for posting this, I knew there had to be something out there for the correction.
crafthorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #4

neat
did he set it up for your specific tire size?
or is it adjustable?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to BigBluePile
Stupid work computers, I can't see the pics.

I remember calling a speed shop once and asked them about getting a new gear for mine. It was gonna cost me some coin to get it fixed. In the end though, my tires/gears make my speedo dead on anyways.

I did not know that there was a mechanical reduction box(as opposed to the electical once like the Superlift Truespeed) for speedos, very cool.
'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

booooOOOOOoosst...!

PACK IN, PACK OUT

'06 4Runner Sport 270/65R17 BFG AT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
funny, new parts get mentioned first, wife who has been gone mentioned second. Priorities, priorities. I like where your head is at.
BigBluePile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peow130 View Post
neat
did he set it up for your specific tire size?
or is it adjustable?
He does not do the math, so to speak. You have to tell him how much reduction you want and he will build it as close to that number as he can get, with the available gears that go into the box. In my case, I needed 13%reduction. He was able to give me 12% reduction with the closest gear combination for the unit.

To determine the reduction needed, you need to time your car over a known distance course at a constant speed. Or, pace another car that you are pretty sure has an accurate speedo and then do the math.

In my case, over a known 1 mile distance, driving at 75 mph on the speedo took 55 seconds. Converting my 1mi/55 seconds to mi/hr: 1mi / 55 sec *3600 sec/1 hr = 65.45 mi /hr. Since my speedo read 75 mph, this is a difference of 9.55 mi/hr. 9.55 mi/hr is 12.7% of 75 mph, which is the reduction percentage I needed.

It is adjustable, if you have him swap different gears in. I should have asked him for a table of what ratios he could hit.

A neat little solution, but not my idea in the least. The thanks goes to: Roger at 4Crawler. Of course Roger has already done this in the past and has recommended it in many posts on this and other websites. I just got off my ass and called around to find out where I could get one.

Thanks again Roger,

Mike

Old 11-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #7
ESQ

Would this work for the left drop xcases on 3rd gen runners and tacos?
The 4Cruiser: 98 4Runner SR5, 5VZ-FE, Sonoran Steel 1.2, BCC custom swing-arm rear bumper, full Budbuilt skids, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs, extended diff breather, airbox deckplate, red LED cluster, console,Wabfab front discos, Warn M8000 winch, Shrockworks full hoop, PIAA 520s and 510s, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders, External tran coolerw/bypass, Tundra brakes, Dyneema winchline,5.29s and ARB double locked, VHF, CB
VA7BBA
ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #8

A GPS also works well for checking speed. A friend's Garmin and my DeLorme agreed at constant highway speeds.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQ View Post
I'm pretty sure those use electronic vehicle speed sensors, but don't quote me on that. For those with an VSS, you would use one of the magic boxes out there that modifies the signal to the speedo.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #10
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

Cool, never heard of these before.
22RE, polished/ported, 260* cam, O/S valves, Supra AFM, e-fan, Doug Thorley header, 2.25" pipe with Flowmaster DBX muffler, Summit ignition box, Dual cases, SAS'd, ARB rear, Aussie front, 4:88, 33"

Never thought I'd swap out M/T for A/T but it happens.
muddpigg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (3)

Send a message via MSN to BigBluePile
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBluePile View Post
...I did not know that there was a mechanical reduction box(as opposed to the electical once like the Superlift Truespeed) for speedos, very cool...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESQ View Post
IIRC, like stated all ready, yours is a electric pickup and you'll have to wire in a sensor box.
'86 4Runner SR5 TRD 5VZ-FE
...slightly modified from OEM...

booooOOOOOoosst...!

PACK IN, PACK OUT

'06 4Runner Sport 270/65R17 BFG AT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyobrown View Post
funny, new parts get mentioned first, wife who has been gone mentioned second. Priorities, priorities. I like where your head is at.
BigBluePile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
ESQ

Yup. Thought so =(
Wasn't sure where the elec pick up was done.
The 4Cruiser: 98 4Runner SR5, 5VZ-FE, Sonoran Steel 1.2, BCC custom swing-arm rear bumper, full Budbuilt skids, 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs, extended diff breather, airbox deckplate, red LED cluster, console,Wabfab front discos, Warn M8000 winch, Shrockworks full hoop, PIAA 520s and 510s, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders, External tran coolerw/bypass, Tundra brakes, Dyneema winchline,5.29s and ARB double locked, VHF, CB
VA7BBA
ESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:18 AM   #13

Speedo Adapt to compensate for Mods

I contacted Commercial Speedometer today for a gear reduction because with oversized tires, speedo was incorrect. The man there knew exactly what was needed. $80.00 + shipping. This should keep the cops off of me. Thanks for the posting here. 916-371-5873. Literally a 5 minute call.
Mr. William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

That is very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
280zx, 4runner, 89, 98, box, camaro, correction, datsun, gear, installing, leaf, reduction, speedo, speedometer, spring