Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mass air flow sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass air flow sensor.

88 pickup 22RE
Ok, there were some backfiring issues and i had just replaced the Mass air sensor and now, we think that it might be having some issues again and its kinda messing with getting the engine to run smooth. anyways, the mechanic who has been helping me suggested that we just try and get rid of the mass air sensor, and he said he's pretty sure it can be done (a side note, i've never seen something he can't fix) so i trust him, but he could be wrong, so is there any way i can just take out the Mass air sensor and do some changes and run it without it. Thanks for anything and sorry for the long post, any help or opinions would be great, thanks.
Lol, kinda funny how i'm dealing with my vacuum system rate now after the re-build and theres all the posts about it, small world i guess. Anyways, the vacuum lines were routed all jerry rigged like and just to get it running properly and all we just cut and plugged what wasn't needed at the time, but then found the EGR valve is faulty so that need to be replaced (i don't think i'm really down for messing around with a removal or anything crazy rate now, just going getting a new one) Anyways, going to have fun hooking up the vacuum lines, should be a fun night...
Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 PM

No MAS bypass option I have ever seen short of a stand alone fuel management system. Sorry But I just don't think it can be done.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What are you going to do, put a carburator on it? Why don't you put what's suppost to be on it, a vane air flow meter (AFM)?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:42 AM

its just one less thing to worry about, and if its out again, (i just replaced it) thats another $150, and there just finicky. But i guess if theres no option, then theres nothing i can do, thanks guys.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 AM

well i did find this post which had some options.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ir+flow+sensor
Old 05-18-2007, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swansen
well i did find this post which had some options.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ir+flow+sensor
Get out your wallet if you're thinking about converting to manifold absolute pressure (MAP). Lots of time and money involed for very little gain unless you're adding a turbo. What makes you think the AFM is bad?

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-18-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 AM

what about on a 1990 3.0L V6? can it be removed from that motor? I woudl love to get rid of it as well.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:31 AM

Well, other than i've had a lot of problems with it, in a short amount of time. And they themselves are real expensive, and one other issue that my mechanic pointed out and i can't remember at the moment, but it made sense. Well, for one thing, or from what i've found, any kind of running issue seems to effect the AFM, when we got it all back together and just had the timing set by ear, the AFM flap was bouncing, along with the check engine light and there were a few backfires, and AFM's don't seem to take to well to any kind of backfire at all. So, it would just be one less thing to mess around with, or troubleshoot if anything happens, as they seems to be pretty delicate and sensitive.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Well here's a thread I started about it but I don't know if it will work.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/so-you-want-get-more-3-0-huh-105832/
Old 05-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Well, other than i've had a lot of problems with it, in a short amount of time. And they themselves are real expensive, and one other issue that my mechanic pointed out and i can't remember at the moment, but it made sense. Well, for one thing, or from what i've found, any kind of running issue seems to effect the AFM, when we got it all back together and just had the timing set by ear, the AFM flap was bouncing, along with the check engine light and there were a few backfires, and AFM's don't seem to take to well to any kind of backfire at all. So, it would just be one less thing to mess around with, or troubleshoot if anything happens, as they seems to be pretty delicate and sensitive.
By ear? Why didn't he use a timing light to set the timing? Sounds like to me you have other problems not related to the AFM. Just the fact you are using a mechanic tells me you are not a good canidate for trying a MAP conversion. It will require a lot of fiddling with tuning and would cost a fortune if you're having to pay someone else to do it.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:15 AM

i'm not paying anyone to do it, i'm doing it at his shop and i just ask him questions when i'm not sure about something, don't assume. To get it to start, i timed it by ear, obviously it wouldn't run right if it wasn't timed right, of coarse i timed it with a gun after i could get it to start and run.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned a good number of toyotas. If you can't work on it yourself, you need to find a mechanic that has experience with the 22RE motor. When a mechanic starts replacing parts at random, it's a good indication that he doesn't know what's wrong.. That's the problem mechanics run into, but you don't pay them to guess. You pay them to be right. I don't have a problem paying $90/hr to toyota for something that they can get right that I can't, but when I'm paying $90/hr and they're just replacing parts until it runs right - they need to eat that cost, not me.

If you're not getting codes and want to play the parts swapping game, just buy a used AFM.. $30-$40 typically - ebay, classifieds here, or pirate. When that doesn't fix your problem, don't be suprised.

Realistic options for MAP sensor conversion don't exist.. What I mean by that is that it IS possible, but the amount of trouble involved is more than that of installing a decent standalone EFI system.

Before you by *ANY* piggyback system for the 22re or 3.0, find someone who is using it, likes it, and says it works well.... And then send them my way because I sure haven't heard from them to date!
Old 05-18-2007, 05:32 PM

yeah, i honestly figured if there wasn't a feasible way of bypassing the AFM then it wasn't even worth it, but like i had said, i'm not paying any body and i'm doing the work, he's just around the shop cause he runs it, and if i have a question he helps, we were just finishing up for the night and got it running, and he had just suggested or brought up that there was a way of bypassing the AFM, and said i should look into it. And were not replacing parts at random, i'm not sure how you came up with that. It runs fine now, i was just looking around.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:38 PM

yeah, i honestly figured if there wasn't a feasible way of bypassing the AFM then it wasn't even worth it, but like i had said, i'm not paying any body and i'm doing the work, he's just around the shop cause he runs it, and if i have a question he helps, we were just finishing up for the night and got it running, and he had just suggested or brought up that there was a way of bypassing the AFM, and said i should look into it. And were not replacing parts at random, i'm not sure how you came up with that. It runs fine now, i was just looking around.
Ya no unfortuneatly you cannot bypass it without installing some other way for the engine to read either manifold vaccum(map) or air volume (AFM)...The whole swapping it to a MAP sounds literally impossible and equally pointless.. yes AFM's are expensive but they really shouldnt go that often unless you have voltage spikes in your system frying it or sumthing weird like that...
Old 03-05-2008, 02:29 PM

you cannot bypass the AFM unless you buy stand alone, that point is made, but you can pull a MAF out of a junk yard for 15 bucks, at that cost you can buy 10 for the price of a new one, and they are adjustible just to let you know. you should try that if you need info PM me. you should get your whole motor straight before anything, that includes adjusting your timing, if it wont start with the timing on then worry about somthing else, just like you said, dont assume somthing is wrong unless you have ruled out all problems. if you adjust the timing with a light, and have all the vaccuum lines right, replaced the AFM and your still having problems then you built it wrong, if you didnt rebuild it then who ever did messed up, oh yea, check your timing belt too.

Last edited by yotaman85; 03-05-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 PM

Just check the ohms on the AFM, Its either good or bad.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:20 PM

woah, those are some pretty random posts to a year old thread, not hating, but thats crazy. On a side note??? i said its running fine, as i stated, a couple times, and 22RE's don't have timing belts, they have chains, and you have to take off the valve cover to "check it"
Old 03-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Ha ha just noticed the dates. So, what did you do to fix your problem?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:04 PM

wow! thats funny as hell.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 94svt50
Ha ha just noticed the dates. So, what did you do to fix your problem?
to be honest, i was REALLY unclear on what this whole thread was about. I had just gotten the my rebuild done(upper half) and got it running and we were just sitting around the shop and got to talking. The mechanic and i had talked about he VAFM and he brought up replacing it, so i was just wondering if there was anything reasonable, but not really, yeah, so at the time of posting i didn't really have a problem, granted, i messed around with the vacuum lines trying to figure out how to get them routed correctly, but all is good now, lol, a year later.