86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual tranny swap + bypassing the ADD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 03:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Manual tranny swap + bypassing the ADD?

slowly working the kinks out. got rid of the auto for a 5 speed (r150?) figured out my backup lights, know which 3 wires are for the 4wd indicator switch in the tranny in the factory 91 harness, but I'm not sure exactly how to fool the ADD to work. Anybody have any issues with this or can tell me what needs hooked up, ran to a switch or bypassed to get it to work? my second option would be to throw manual hubs on it. regular ifs hubs bolt right on right? Hopefuly I didn't throw them out when I did my sas on the other truck. Whatever I do I want it done cheap and easy because it'll only be temporary till I can afford gears and tires for the set of dana 60's I have.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing the hubs with manual hubs wont make the 4wd work if your having problems with the ADD. You need to install manual hubs as well as move the fork on the front of the differential which is actually what the ADD controls. There is a cover on the front side of the center section that has 4 bolts and the vacuum lines running to it. You need to drain the diff fluid and remove that cover. Inside you will find a tube that slides over the axle and engages the diff. You need to move it towards the diff and engage it. Then on the cover you removed you will see a shift fork that will also slide when vacuum is applied. Move it so it will line up with tube on the axle and use a hose clamp to the side of it to hold it in place. Put some RTV around the cover and reinstall. Fill it with fluid and your good to go.

This makes it so you don't have to worry about vacuum to engage the 4WD and it only takes about a half hour to do.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:20 PM

Thanks. got the 4wd light to come on by jumping a couple of wires and switching some vacuum lines around. but now the add is staying locked in. Think I'll take ur advice and throw the manual hubs on if I can find them and make it so it won't disengage.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
which wires from the auto harness did you jump together? i still havent done all this and ive been swapped for a year ha
Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did the ADD bypass last night (truck had manual hubs already, but the ADD was not engaging) The vacuum diaphragm on the ADD modulator was fubar'd on mine, so all I had to do was slide the fork to one side and it would stay. Remember to cap off the vac hoses when you reinstall it. It was really easy, but still took me about 3 hours because I was trying to figure out why the ADD was messed up. I love having 4wd again! Even though I dont need it for a few more weeks
Old 08-31-2009, 09:44 PM

This is the second auto to man swap I've done with my yotas so far. the first one i ran a pushbutton to the starter and already had the backup lights on a switch so never realy tried to fix it right. This is going to be her ride off road so I'll have to make it as idiot proof as possible,plus I don't want my boy turning the key and having it drive away w/ him in it....So far the wires I figgured out in my 91 3.0 auto harness so far.

neutral safety switch- in white 9 pin female connector. top 2 center wires. should be the thickest gauge wires in the whole auto trans harness. colors black w/white and black.
reverse lights- in same 9 pin connector 2 far left pins. red w/white (top) and black w/ red (bottom)
4wd indicator instrument cluster light- works a little different, has to have 2 switches made for it to turn on. the ADD has to be engaged closing the switdh in the front end and the 2 wires that need to be ran to the 4wd transfer case switch are in the blue female 6 pin connector. pink w/green (top center) and white w/black (top left). When both switches are made the 4wd light will come on. also when i was messing around with the transfer case wire switches I heard the add vsv's clicking. not sure exactly whats happening with them yet as i got more important things to fix first. Hope this helps u out.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey

jmep can you elaborate on what you mean eactly to get the add to work are you saying just run power to the 4wd light or hook the transfer case switch to the light in the dash i am lost
Old 03-09-2010, 11:14 AM

for some reason the add wont work once you switch transmissions, (automatic disengaging differintial) so you do an add lock up to keep your 4wd working. this does involve switching over to manual locking hubs. if the add isnt engaged thne you will never have 4wd and your light for 4wd will never turn on.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:13 PM

yea

but what i am thinking if i provide voltage to the 4x4 lights would that in turn lock up the add i am trying to figure out how to creaTe an independant toggle switch for my add and hubs all my stuff looks newer than the truck so would be nice to keep it as long as possible know what i mean?