Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual hubs/spindle bushings/a couple o' questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Manual hubs/spindle bushings/a couple o' questions...

Who's replaced their spindle bushings here? Did anyone go with the upgrade to needle bearings? I ask because it's been a long time coming for me to replace the bushings and I'm wondering if the needle bearing upgrade is worth it in terms of durability and ease of maintenance??? I've read the YT article on the upgrade and he seems to think the bearings may not work for older generation vehicles.(Or, maybe that was Jim Brink's article??) My 4rnr is an '86, but I've not been able to tell any difference between it's IFS and my wife's '92 4rnr...........aside from her's having ADD's. So, on top of the previous questions, will they even fit?

Other thing........I made my spindle lub'ing tool and managed to lube atleast the driver's side the other day. But, I noticed what I thought was a fair amount of play in the hub rings/gears....whatever you call them. I've read several threads and web search related info on rebuilding them and/or just maintaining them. But, no one's really mentioned anything about allowable play. Is some normal? I also read that new replacement parts were not available, and that one would have to find used hubs in good shape in order to replace the worn parts. Is this the case? Admittedly, I've not tried to call a dealership to ask. Meant to do that Sat., but got busy at work and forgot.

Thanks!

Last edited by thook; 10-03-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I just ordered the spindle needle bearings; will be installing them in the next month. I have a 94 pickup, though; not that old~
Old 10-04-2010, 04:30 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
If it's worked for 20+ years why change it? Spindle bushings get my vote.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 AM

Two rabbits posting one after the other; what'r the odds of that? Must be my lucky day...

Thanks, TN. I read the bearings eliminated the necessity for future replacement......provided they're maintained, of course. Would you mind posting in another 20yrs and telling me what you think? Lol!

Actually, Wabbit, the bushings were dead atleast 10yrs ago when I bought the 4rnr. Of course, I knew nothing about their existence, then. So, I didn't know what the rattling was from nor to even keep them lubed. It's certainly not a safety issue, but it is annoying. I've just learned to live with it all this time. Why change? I don't know. If bushings are lubed regularly, considering they don't move with the axle, would friction still wear them down even if they were regularly lubed? This is also part of why I ask. In the end, I may wind up doing bushings, anyway, just 'cause they're half the cost and I still need rear pinion bearings. Over $100 for those, the seal, and sleeve already.

So, no comments on the hubs, eh? I was hoping you could fill me in on that one, Wabbit.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 AM
Banned

Gauging play in the hubs is hard to say over the net. They shouldn't be sloppy but they aren't rigid new either. Easiest way to judge hubs is tear down and rebuild, simple maintenance.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 AM

Fair enough. But, what about replacement parts? Can you get them new, or do you have to find used hubs that are in better shape?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Banned

You cannot buy new parts like pawls, clutches or springs, but just need to find some used in better shape than yours. Most just need refurbishing is my experience.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 AM

Hmmm......well, they're not malfunctioning in any way. I was just wondering if they were contributing to the front end rattle. They've stayed greased all this time, but admittedly I keep them locked much of the time during the worst part of winter and at other times when I'm seriously in a hurry. <<<lazy!!>>> I guess I'll just take a better look at them when I get around to lub'ing the passenger side this week. They may be just fine or may just have to live with it, if they're even part of the rattle. Hubs around here are scarce. And, I'd rather have jalopy Aisins than new Warns, etc. Thanks, Wabbit.

If anyone else has input on the bushing vs bearings.....? Well, either topic, really.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My inner brash bushing was shot so I had a shop re-do it Jim Rockford style. Hopefully this needle bearing lasts a while; 400 bucks (yay for rust, took them a long to get everything separated) to put the thrust bushing, needle bearing, and a tie rod in. Ideally I'd like to avoid that again

Last edited by 99blackSE; 10-06-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Whoops, realized you already made the greaser tool!

Last edited by RustBucket; 10-06-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I am trying to find a set of spindles (88) so I can redo the bushings at my own speed. That way I just put the set up spindles in and no down time. Mine rattle like a bugger.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I missed this thread. My comments on the matter are found in this thread instead.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...eplace-221504/

Summed up...the bushings are FAR less hassle to maintain. Let them roller bearings run dry or get any contamination in the grease(i.e. spindle seal failure)...and bye-bye hard-earned cash(and bearings). Bronze bushings are essentially "friction bearings" and don't really even need lubed. Grease won't hurt them, and may even prolong their life. But they won't miss it when it's not there, not like the bearings will anyway. And they have superior anti-corrosion properties compared to steel roller bearings. Meaning a little moisture or other contaminants coming into contact with them will have less of a destructive effect than would occur to the much more delicate bearings.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would do this upgrade myself next time if I had the time but I didn't. I would expect this needle bearing to last similar to the wheel bearings given they are sealed and lubed properly. My original wheel bearings just went at 300,000 km.