Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Manual hubs repainted

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual hubs repainted

Thought I would clean up rebuild and repaint the hubs things were going OK till the clear coat went on,the clear coat was mislabeled it was supposed to be clear according to the label turns out it is satin clear so now I have to do them over but it was at least a learning experience I now know how to rebuild them and it is surprisingly easy

Primed and ready for some paint

painted up looking ready to put back together

reassembled with the satin clear not so cool looking but I will redo them Monday with clear,

Then again the wrinkle looks different maybe it will grow on me before Monday

Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They look good your engine looks extremely clean...
Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you use wrinkle, usually curing them in the oven works a whole lot better. I did that with my valve cover on my GSX and it came out pretty good.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
you know olharley, I think if you're rig was white, and you had the same wheels as me, we'd have almost the same looking vehicles

I did the same thing a while back, lmao. between our motors and this, are vehicles are like brothers

Old 10-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

And I thought I was bored today. Looks pimpin OHM!
Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
you know olharley, I think if you're rig was white, and you had the same wheels as me, we'd have almost the same looking vehicles

I did the same thing a while back, lmao. between our motors and this, are vehicles are like brothers

Dealer 09210... looks like you get your parts from courtesy toyota That's ok, you're about an hour from me, I can't hold it against ya for the $4.00 in gaskets...

However it looks like you're short a couple nuts and cone washers. Do you need any of these? I have some extras if you do... If you wanna come out and get 'em you can have what you need.

To the original poster... I'm really not tryin to be mean or anything, but if it were my mad painting skillz, I don't think I would have put up pictures looking like that. Your best bet it to strip all that crap off, and try again. Shake up the can real good. Hold it back away from the object to be painted about 12 to 18 inches. Do many light coats until it's completely covered, and let it dry between coats. It should take 4 or 5 coats for a good thick coat. Then do the same with the clear. This will elimintae all those runs and goopy spots that you have goin on there.

Just my .02.

Last edited by pb4ugotobed; 10-11-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by pb4ugotobed
Dealer 09210... looks like you get your parts from courtesy toyota That's ok, you're about an hour from me, I can't hold it against ya for the $4.00 in gaskets...

However it looks like you're short a couple nuts and cone washers. Do you need any of these? I have some extras if you do... If you wanna come out and get 'em you can have what you need.

To the original poster... I'm really not tryin to be mean or anything, but if it were my mad painting skillz, I don't think I would have put up pictures looking like that. Your best bet it to strip all that crap off, and try again. Shake up the can real good. Hold it back away from the object to be painted about 12 to 18 inches. Do many light coats until it's completely covered, and let it dry between coats. It should take 4 or 5 coats for a good thick coat. Then do the same with the clear. This will elimintae all those runs and goopy spots that you have goin on there.

Just my .02.

lol, yep, that's where I got 'em from

where are you at in the Sunshine State?

oh and that paint he used was that wrinkle finish stuff. it goes on THICK, and is suppose to look like that
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
man, trav, you always gotta go and post up your hubs every time the subject comes up, eh?? LMAO!!!

can i join ya?

Old 10-12-2009, 06:44 AM

Man I gotta find that guy on here selling these and switch from my ADD ones to these.. Looks great.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:37 AM

How are you guys gettting the gray lettering on there so nice? Just a tiny brush and steady hand?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny thing is I though about painting this one Pearl White with a Red Mother of Pearl Clear coat thenI relized that a 4-5k paint job on a off road truck would be really stupid

Just my .02.
And if you would have read the post and not just looked at the pictures and offered up your wisdom you would have noticed that I stated that the can was mislabeled and that I was going to redo them or just learn to live with the satin clear

Originally Posted by stock as possible
How are you guys gettting the gray lettering on there so nice? Just a tiny brush and steady hand?
Not sure how everyone else did there's but I let the paint dry and before clearing them I used a razor blade and pulled the paint off the letters and arrows then cleared them over.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:47 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
my hubs, on the lettering at least, were grooved...
what i did was waited until the paint was almost cured then took a seal pick and carefully scraped each of the grooves clear of paint...
Old 10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

being raised lettering, I just let the color coat dry, then carefully took some 1000 grit sand paper and sanded the tops of the letters and arrows down. then hit it with 2 coats of clear to keep 'em look'n good
Old 10-12-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
And if you would have read the post and not just looked at the pictures and offered up your wisdom you would have noticed that I stated that the can was mislabeled and that I was going to redo them or just learn to live with the satin clear

Actually, by looking at the cardboard around your painted pieces, it's fairly obvious the paint was laid down way too thick. That isn't clear, or the wrong kind of clear. It's paint laid way too heavy, too quickly. Like I said, I'm not tryin to be mean here, just trying to offer constructive criticism on how you could do it a little more cleanly next time. That's all. No offense intended, just tryin to offer a lil advice.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:01 PM

Actually, by looking at the cardboard around your painted pieces, it's fairly obvious the paint was laid down way too thick. That isn't clear, or the wrong kind of clear. It's paint laid way too heavy, too quickly. Like I said, I'm not tryin to be mean here, just trying to offer constructive criticism on how you could do it a little more cleanly next time. That's all. No offense intended, just tryin to offer a lil advice.
x2...looks like you got a little excited and didn't paint it in different coats and you painted too close. That's way too thick of a coat for it to settle properly. And also, did you wait long enough for the paint to dry enough before you put the clear on? Try doing a couple lighter coats with enough time in between then wait long enough till you put the clear on.

And in all honesty, its just a hub. Who really care what it looks like? Mine hardly have any paint left on them and they still get the job done
Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
So simple yet so clever. My hubs need some resurfacing and you inspire me to paint them the same color as my truck
Old 10-21-2009, 07:21 AM

Wanted to post mine too since I just painted/rebuilt mine last night. That razor blade tip sure did work a lot better for me than sanding. I also used stainless steel allen head bolts because I think they look sharp and are different than the regular bolts. Cell phone pic for now until I actually get them installed (teaser!).

Last edited by BoostinChick; 10-21-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

where'd ya get those bolts from? they look nice!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
all nice until the threads seize up and you strip out the allen holes
Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
all nice until the threads seize up and you strip out the allen holes
They are stainless steel (won't rust), and if you use the proper allen size it won't strip. If I am that worried about it I will put antiseize on them. The hub cover bolts are not torqued down that much.

where'd ya get those bolts from? they look nice!
I had them left over. I bought a bunch to do my valve cover on my project car. I think they are M6x1.0x20

Only cost me like 20 cents/each for the ss allen bolt and washer.

Last edited by BoostinChick; 10-21-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual hubs repainted