86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Manual to auto trans swap wiring... Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manual to auto trans swap wiring... Please help

Ok so I have done lots of searching and have got most of the info for my swap together. I have all of my parts in my garage, now im getting some final details worked out before I start.

first off, my truck is a 1987 4runner SR5 with a 22re. I picked up a W56-b from a 1987 4runner donor with 155k miles on it.

Swapping out the transmission itself seems pretty straight forward. I got a new flywheel/ pressure plate from marlin.

I understand for the (meh, most part) where the hydraulic lines for the transmission fluid go against my firewall.

My major concerns are:

1.) does anyone have like actual photos of the wires I have to jump on my computer? ALSO for the reverse lights and 4x4 lights?
everyone says black wires... I have a TON of black wires. I found a thread talking about wiring the transmission for ADD but I have manual hubs if that helps at all

2.) User Wyoming9 tried to explain to me about the wiring of the clutch start cancel and the little thing that connects to the clutch pedal that makes the engine start by depressing the clutch... but does anyone have any photos of any of this?!??

3.) how do yall know you are drilling your clutch master cylender holes in the perfect correct spot?

Really Im just asking for some visual aid in doing this. I am a novice at this, but have been told that it was an easy swap so Im going to give it a go, and just want everything to be right and not completely ruin my truck.

Please!!! can anyone send me some photos? Thank you for your help and time.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:01 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

People seem to think every one is at there skill level So if they think some thing is easy anyone can do this.

I happen to think building a frame from scratch is easy so it should be easy for everyone.

Changing a transmission is not hard swapping from Auto to manual is a whole different project .

Have you tried a google search for Toyota Auto to manual swap.

Having been doing this long before any easy way to take pictures I find pictures really no help to me.

If I was close I would be glad to help.

Best of Luck.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:13 AM

Yeah Ive got basically everything i need in words, I dont know where the wires i need to jump are located, or where I need to tie wires in etc. I know I need to jump a wire for the reverse lights and 4x4 light. Also a wire for the ecu to make the truck think its in neutral. and I think the clutch cancel button goes into that wire too?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:13 AM

Photos are just hard to come by on the swap. Are the black wires I jump for the computer located at the computer at the kick panel or under the hood of the truck? my clutch cancel button has a plug on it, do i run a wire off of one of those wires to the two wires I jump for the ECU? Asking the tough questions haha sorry for all of them

Last edited by dbbowen; 12-15-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:07 PM

for the drilling of the clutch u should fine some flat spots or marks showing the factory guys where to drill. might need to pull back the carpet and pad to see them. as for wiring, if it was 90 i could help. i did it to my 4runner. but i made the connections all down where the wires hooked to the auto trans, only had to do one wire in the kick panel to make the cruse control work.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From all the Cressidas, Celica Supras and 22RE Celicas I've five speed swapped, the plug that goes to the neutral safety switch on the auto Trans there are three pins on that plug. The one on top is one of the reverse wires, the other two side by side are what need to be jumped in order for the truck to start. you can also wire these to a switch on the clutch pedal if you want a clutch safety switch.

And for the clutch master hole, use the automatic brake pedal bracket as a template. The bracket has a hold in it that you can use as a reference to drill. I used a hole saw attachment on a drill. It was slightly small so I had to slightly slot (bang) the hole for the master to slip through. I just did this on my 87 XtraCab.

Reverse lights I haven't figured out on my truck yet since I swapped the whole engine and harness for another one. I ordered a 87 TSRM EWD book off of eBay and it should get here tomorrow. I will post pin outs when I can.

Last edited by TransAmBandit; 12-15-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
for the drilling of the clutch u should fine some flat spots or marks showing the factory guys where to drill. might need to pull back the carpet and pad to see them. as for wiring, if it was 90 i could help. i did it to my 4runner. but i made the connections all down where the wires hooked to the auto trans, only had to do one wire in the kick panel to make the cruse control work.

does your 90 have a 22re and w56? lol It might be similar. My auto trans pedal bracket has the spot for the clutch pedal I was hoping that I could use the holes there without having to remove the bracket haha. might just remove it and use the spots or marks on the firewall. I have an aftermarket cruise control... I have no idea where to even get started with that hah.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmBandit
From all the Cressidas, Celica Supras and 22RE Celicas I've five speed swapped, the plug that goes to the neutral safety switch on the auto Trans there are three pins on that plug. The one on top is one of the reverse wires, the other two side by side are what need to be jumped in order for the truck to start. you can also wire these to a switch on the clutch pedal if you want a clutch safety switch.

And for the clutch master hole, use the automatic brake pedal bracket as a template. The bracket has a hold in it that you can use as a reference to drill. I used a hole saw attachment on a drill. It was slightly small so I had to slightly slot (bang) the hole for the master to slip through. I just did this on my 87 XtraCab.

Reverse lights I haven't figured out on my truck yet since I swapped the whole engine and harness for another one. I ordered a 87 TSRM EWD book off of eBay and it should get here tomorrow. I will post pin outs when I can.

Oh man, those pin outs would help so much! when you say the plug for the neutral safety switch, is this the plug that comes directly off of the manual transmission? or the plug that was once plugged into the automatic? please explain like im a 5 year old... Im an entry level tax accountant and relative newbie at wrenching. This is my toughest job so far.

Thank you for the help though so far everyone
Old 12-15-2015, 07:58 PM

The one that was once plugged into the automatic. If you look at the automatic on the side where the shifter rod is, you'll see a black box with a plug coming out of it. You follow it to the end and you'll see the two pins out of the three. Find the other end on the engine harness and there you go.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by dbbowen
does your 90 have a 22re and w56? lol It might be similar. My auto trans pedal bracket has the spot for the clutch pedal I was hoping that I could use the holes there without having to remove the bracket haha. might just remove it and use the spots or marks on the firewall. I have an aftermarket cruise control... I have no idea where to even get started with that hah.
i had the v6, so it wont be the same wiring, do you have the wiring diagrams for you truck?

their is a wire on the cruise control that tells it if its in park, u just need to cut that wire and it will work, well on mine it did,
Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 PM

The one that was once plugged into the automatic. If you look at the automatic on the side where the shifter rod is, you'll see a black box with a plug coming out of it. You follow it to the end and you'll see the two pins out of the three. Find the other end on the engine harness and there you go.
Awesome that clears quite a bit up. Just to be clear, once I find the end on the engine harness, this is where I jump the wires and the third wire is the reverse light wire? I feel like an idiot asking all these questions, your help is greatly appreciated
Old 12-15-2015, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
i had the v6, so it wont be the same wiring, do you have the wiring diagrams for you truck?

their is a wire on the cruise control that tells it if its in park, u just need to cut that wire and it will work, well on mine it did,

Haha its worth a shot if it doesnt work, I can re solder the wire back together and try a different approach. Unfortunately, I dont have any wiring diagrams for my truck. Just the haynes manual. I have been searching online for the FSM but every link is broken or taken down, the entire TTORA page has all the links disabled. Theres a guy on ebay selling a very used FSM for my 87 4runner but he wants $200 bucks for it
Old 12-15-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by dbbowen
Awesome that clears quite a bit up. Just to be clear, once I find the end on the engine harness, this is where I jump the wires and the third wire is the reverse light wire? I feel like an idiot asking all these questions, your help is greatly appreciated
Correct. But for the reverse light there's going to be one more wire on another connector. I haven't figured that part out yet. I have to wait until I get my book.

Try this link. If you look on the first page. Follow the ignition switch from the top left start wire down you'll see the neutral safety wiring.

http://www.well.com/~mosk/Images/22RTE_EFI.pdf
Old 12-15-2015, 09:08 PM

Correct. But for the reverse light there's going to be one more wire on another connector. I haven't figured that part out yet. I have to wait until I get my book.

Try this link. If you look on the first page. Follow the ignition switch from the top left start wire down you'll see the neutral safety wiring.

http://www.well.com/~mosk/Images/22RTE_EFI.pdf

Awesome, thanks Ill try to decipher that tomorrow morning haha. Im in the process of possibly obtaining a 87 runner FSM, Ill keep you posted if I get it
Old 12-15-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

This is interesting every swap I ever did I needed to pull the Automatic brake pedal brackets out.

Then replace that one with the two from the manual vehicle

I also explained about all the connections and even gave you the wire colors as I have the EWD for that year.

Best of luck!!
Old 12-16-2015, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
This is interesting every swap I ever did I needed to pull the Automatic brake pedal brackets out.

Then replace that one with the two from the manual vehicle

I also explained about all the connections and even gave you the wire colors as I have the EWD for that year.

Best of luck!!
I think im have just about everything I need to get it one. I looked at my pedal bracket yesterday, it looks like the same bracket as the manual bracket i pulled from the donor truck, just missing the clutch pedal. There is an o/d relay in the spot where the pedal would be. It looks like, in theroy, i could swap the smaller brake pedal and clutch pedal into this bracket. seems like that would save me some time
Old 12-16-2015, 03:29 PM

It looked the same but if I remember correctly other than the five speed bracket having the studs for the clutch master I wanna say there was some other reenforcement. I have the auto and a spare five speed bracket at home I'll double check. But I think you should just swap them out. Just use the automatic one as a reference to drill the master holes before pulling it.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:24 AM

It looked the same but if I remember correctly other than the five speed bracket having the studs for the clutch master I wanna say there was some other reenforcement. I have the auto and a spare five speed bracket at home I'll double check. But I think you should just swap them out. Just use the automatic one as a reference to drill the master holes before pulling it.
Please give me a shout when you get around to checking it out. If they are the same, that will save me a lot of hassle. I think you have to drop the steering column and remove some of the heat vents to get that bracket out. All things that im not sure how to do. haha. If the brackets are not the same ill just have to suck it up and do it, but if I can skip that step.... that would be great