Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Manifold Gasket or Exhaust Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manifold Gasket or Exhaust Problem?

So a few months ago after being away from the truck a couple months, decided to take it out to the desert to have a little fun. Well, ends up that right before i jump on the high way(not litterally) I crack my front exahust pipe on my 91 22re. It is noticebly louder, but at first I figured it was just a loose bolt. As im heading down the highway all of sudden the truck sounds like a nascar race car and I cant hear my radio or even myself talking without yelling. Come home, check it out, and the front exhaust pipe broke right after coming of the manifold, right on that 2 into 1 weld.

I pick up a new one and two of the circle gaskets that go between the manifold and front exhaust pipe, tighten it real good, but it is still pretty loud. It also has some back pressure in the system or something, because when I let off the gas it almost sounds like it is forcing a little air out the airfilter setup. It also will pop a little bit when letting off the accelerator and when starting up has a strong smell like something is just not right, like the air/fuel mixture is getting screwed up.

I took the manifold off when doing all this because the bolts were cacked in dried mud so I cleaned it up real good. However, I did not put a new gasket on the between the motor and exhaust manifold.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The easiest way to find out is to get a piece of 1/2" fuel hose (any rubber hose will do). Put one end to your ear, and move the other end around where you think the noise might be coming from.

As for your air-fuel mixture and airbox, what gave you that idea exactly?